LaunchBox Community Forums

Terrible performance in windows

welshyc

I've just bought launchbox premium as I'm beggining a project to have multiple devices using a unified ROM collection that runs off a single SD card. 

Among those devices is my GPD win 2 and a desktop PC, so launchbox seemed like the go to solution to get a good frontend I could use. 
But the performance has been absolutely abysmal, to the point I think something must be wrong. I just can't find any settings I can change. 

the GPD win isn't exactly a powerhouse, but it sohuld be able to render some menus and box art, but after moving to my desktop (9900k, 16gb ram, 2080 ti) thinking I could at least do the intial setup here, i'm still finding the same problems. 

it takes up to a minute after launching to stabilize to a usable framerate, and every time I move around menus things slow down to a crawl. 

On the desktop, once it's "loaded in" all the assets, things seem to stabilize somewhat, but this is after several minutes, which is completely worthless for a frontend that's supposed to be used for a few seconds at a time. 

Am I missing something? Is this terrible performance just standard with this application? 

Edited by welshyc

12 minutes ago, welshyc said:

Is this terrible performance just standard with this application? 

No. I run several cabinets with far less specs and no issues like you mention. Even a simple Ryzen 2200G 8GB RAM and using only the Ryzen APU. Something is definitely not right.

How many systems and games have you added? Do you have a ton of playlists that are auto-populated?

Not that much added. maybe 8-10 systems with a few dozen games max per system. 

No playlists at all. I've just imported the rom collections and made sure they all have cover art etc. 

The poor performance occurs on both my windows systems, so I don't understand what could be causing the problem. 

4 minutes ago, welshyc said:

Not that much added. maybe 8-10 systems with a few dozen games max per system. 

No playlists at all. I've just imported the rom collections and made sure they all have cover art etc. 

The poor performance occurs on both my windows systems, so I don't understand what could be causing the problem. 

Are you using a paid version or free version? Just asking to determine if you can change theme. Even if free try switching to "Old Default" and see if any difference.

You definitely should have no issue. 

Also if you are using the normal default theme turn of the Dynamic Box resizing and reduce or turn-off the background blur. When Jason developed that new theme it did cause some issues for users. He refined the theme and Launchbox a bit to reduce the performance hit. His last update put in toggles for those items as he discovered those two were causing the most performance issues. But honestly it should not hurt specs like you are using. But then again, you are seeing an issue.

In >Tools>Options look in the visuals section for both those items. One will be under boxes the other background.

23 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Also if you are using the normal default theme turn of the Dynamic Box resizing and reduce or turn-off the background blur. When Jason developed that new theme it did cause some issues for users. He refined the theme and Launchbox a bit to reduce the performance hit. His last update put in toggles for those items as he discovered those two were causing the most performance issues. But honestly it should not hurt specs like you are using. But then again, you are seeing an issue.

In >Tools>Options look in the visuals section for both those items. One will be under boxes the other background.

Thanks that helped a lot.

6 minutes ago, TonyRamirez said:

I agree this frontend runs terrible.  I remember when I bought a premium license a couple of years ago it was so fast now after every update it gets slower and slower.

This is simply not true.

While the 10.8 release did have some performance problems 10.9 was released the very next day to try and fix most of them (which it did) and now 10.10 is out very quickly after that and fixed the remaining issues.

So you're statement saying it gets slower and slower with every release is completely wrong. If anything @Jason Carr makes it run faster with updates, for instance pre LB Next was slower than LB Next which we are currently on.

12 minutes ago, TonyRamirez said:

I agree this frontend runs terrible.  I remember when I bought a premium license a couple of years ago it was so fast now after every update it gets slower and slower.

As a blanket statement to cover everyone, No. As a case by case for some users things can definitely affect performance. With so much disparity in machine specs it is hard for a dev to make sure everyone has the same results. Especially with a software that keeps growing and puts emphasis on presentation power (media heavy) and customization that users can do by creating their own themes for both LB and BB.

10 minutes ago, TonyRamirez said:

Thanks that helped a lot.

Glad it did.