LaunchBox Community Forums

starting crash

rumple987

i have 10.10 launch box installed,  im using Avast antivirus,, I had manualy installed .net framework 4.8, "as an installer".   reinstalled lanchbox 10.10,..

and when I open launchbox it comes up as "Launch box Initializing..." and then I get a pop up saying " launch box has stoped working" then another popup saying " a problem caused yhe program to stop working correctly. windows wil close the program and notify you if a solution is avaibale. (close program)... I click close program and  I get nothing after that

... I don't know how to fix this

I am having this issue as well. Event logs below.

Application: LaunchBox.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.TypeLoadException
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at DynamicClass.(System.String[])
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(System.String[])
Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 10.10.0.0, time stamp: 0x5e25da2a
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.535, time stamp: 0x50cc8d5a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a839
Faulting process id: 0x4d48
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d123723264ec
Faulting application path: F:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f077ece6-fff0-402d-954d-539dfeb47b0d
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I rolled back to .9 and .7 and now having same issue even tho just before upgrading to .10, .7 was working fine.

Here is another file I found with info.

UPDATE: So the one above was on an F drive that will be moved to another machine. I started up 10.7 on the same machine installed on C, it asked me to update, I did, opened OK. THere are no games in this instance, FYI. Then I went to use some menus items, they took a few seconds to open, tried them all, then went to try them again and they would not open, in fact, nothing would now respond in the UI. I force closed in from right clicking the taskbar icon.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I also see these info events around same time.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine QueryFullProcessImageNameW.  hr = 0x8007001f, A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Operation:
   Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
   Current State: DoSnapshotSet

Report.wer

Edited by dbinott

20 minutes ago, dbinott said:

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

It looks like a file in actual windows is missing/currupted and is stopping Launchbox from starting, at least that is how it looks to this layman. Have you tried a sfc /scannow in a command prompt to see if windows finds and fixes any issues?

No, but that wouldn't explain why 10.7 worked moments before. I will try though. Everything else I have works.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Edited by dbinott

I figured out how to enable debug, but doesn't give much info.

2020-01-22 09:35:55 AM Libraries Initialization: Looking for missing files...
2020-01-22 09:35:55 AM Libraries Initialization: Completed.
2020-01-22 09:35:55 AM All necessary config files and folders now confirmed to exist.
2020-01-22 09:35:55 AM About to initialize WPF App constructor...
2020-01-22 09:35:55 AM Resolving assembly CefSharp.Wpf, Version=73.1.130.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138...
2020-01-22 09:35:55 AM CefSharp assembly path: F:\LaunchBox\CefSharp\x64\CefSharp.Wpf.dll
2020-01-22 09:35:55 AM CefSharp assembly path found, loading...

My local copy is starting now, so i copied over the data but not CefSharp dir, didn't work, then I saw the above so I moved over the CefSharp dir and now the one on F does start.

Edited by dbinott

I am having the same issue.  I have Launchbox/BigBox on a portable hard drive and I updated to 10.10 and it worked fine the first time I used it after upgrading.  Today I tried to open Launchbox and got an error that said that the file was corrupt and it went to a black screen.  Any time I try to open Launchbox of BigBox it doesn't do anything.  I took the 10.10 update off and went back to 10.07.  After reverting back to 10.07 Launchbox auto loaded.  I directly tried to go into BigBox from Launchbox and the program crashed again.  Again I am unable to open Launchbox or BigBox.  Does anyone know why

I don't know anything about programming so if someone could provide a step by step fix I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hello all, I had not seen this thread, so thanks for point it out @dbinott. Sorry to hear about the trouble guys. I'm not sure if we have several different issues here, or if there's a common theme. We'll probably have to tackle each issue case-by-case.

@rumple987 Are you still having an issue?

@Marcopolo7 Are you still on 10.9? Can you try manually updating to see if that works?

@dbinott I haven't found any useful information on that error, but my first hunch would be either a corrupted .NET install or a corrupted Windows installation, but I can't say for sure. It would be interesting to know if everyone in this thread has the same error.

@edgecrusher462 It sounds like you've got a separate issue there than other folks in this thread, but it's hard to know what it is without the exact error messages. What error messages are you getting exactly?

7 minutes ago, edgecrusher462 said:

@Jason Carr currently when I load Launchbox (version 10.06) it loads fine.  Whenever I try to open BigBox it doesn't load at all, I don't even get the BigBox loading screen.  I'm not getting any error messages. Is there a way to view my error log?

Yes, but if you're not even getting the Big Box loading screen, then it's likely an early .NET crash. See if you can find any details in the Windows event log, under Application. You can just start it up and let it crash, and then check the event log for recent errors.

@Jason Carr Ok I tried to load up BigBox directly and again it wouldn't load, ran the event log and these are the details of each of the events pertaining to it:

> Error 09:01:52 .NET Runtime - 
Application: BigBox.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
  at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.BigBoxProgram.Main()

> Error 09:01:52 Application Error -
Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 10.10.0.0, time stamp: 0x5e25da29
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ff8a687c341
Faulting process id: 0xd7c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d4512581166c
Faulting application path: F:\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 25cb0b4d-2726-4003-8d99-944e2a7bf5c6
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

> Error 09:02:50 Windows Error Reporting - 

Fault bucket 1977945040928645344, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: BigBox.exe
P2: 10.10.0.0
P3: 5e25da29
P4: BigBox
P5: 10.10.0.0
P6: 5e25da29
P7: 10
P8: 0
P9: System.NullReferenceException

>> I tried launching Big Box through Launchbox at 09:12:51 and received the same errors as above.  

event log 01-15-20.jpg

@edgecrusher462 I'm not exactly sure what's causing it based on that error message, but it could be data-related at this point. Are you able to run Big Box if you install to a completely new folder? You can keep your existing installation and just install to a different folder to test.

@rumple987 If you would please, check the Windows application event log per the above, after you attempt to run it. Hopefully the error message will give us a clue as to what's going on.