LaunchBox Community Forums

Big slowdown on launchbox

lokaz

Hello, I am facing a very big problem, each time I select a platform on the left side of the application, I have great unexplained slowness !

When I open my task manager at this time, I have the processor which remains blocked at 100% for a few seconds, I do not understand where the problem comes from, do you have an idea? I leave you a screenshot and my configuration:
1671159370_2020-01-2215_05_20-Window.thumb.png.48ed4a1732f8eeba06a1126ea62f2400.png

I5 9600K
16GB DDR4 Memory
SSD 1TO Samsung Evo
MB Asus Strix Z390-F
GC Asus Strix 2060 Super 8GO

Thank you 

So the issue is that it uses CPU usage for a few seconds after selecting a new section of games to populate? That is to be expected. Of course, on my system, it takes less than a second to populate a new section of games, but yes, LaunchBox will use CPU usage when you switch between platforms. And the fact that it's showing 100% on the CPU is a good thing; it means that the application is properly multi-threaded, and using all of your PC's resources to load things up as quickly as possible.

Of course, no app should be using 100% CPU usage all the time, but when you tell it to do something, it has to use CPU to do it.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

To be fair @Jason Carr in his image his platform has 1 game in it, surely that doesnt need multi threaded 100% CPU to cache one image?

I don't know what are in the other platforms. But yeah, one game should not be causing slowdowns. But whether a platform has one game or many, it still has to filter down to just that platform, so that may or may not be relevant. It's not just caching images when updating the game list.

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I don't know what are in the other platforms. But yeah, one game should not be causing slowdowns. But whether a platform has one game or many, it still has to filter down to just that platform, so that may or may not be relevant. It's not just caching images when updating the game list.

Oh totally, i understand that. His particular image though shows him sitting on the PS1 platform with one game, the caching of images for platforms is done whilst on said platform, so if for example he "was" on mame but then switched to PS1 then the mame caching stops, (and will be finished next time you switch back to it) and it would then cache the platform he is on instead, (in this case PS1 with one game) but he still has 100% CPU, as well as a rather large nearly 5GB of ram usage. Not trying to contradict or anything, just curious as to if that is expected?

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

That RAM usage isn't exactly normal, no, though I'm sure there are situations where it would get up that high. It's possible that there's something going wrong, but we'll need more details before we can help with anything.

Yeah, i wasnt disagreeing with you or trying to be argumentative at all, just looking at the image and reading the issue in the OP, something certainly doesnt seem right. In my case i never see Launchbox hit 2GB, and its mostly in and around the 1GB range, so to see both CPU maxed, as well as heavy ram usuage whilst sitting in a platform with only one game in it does seem somewhat off, especially with the specs provided in the OP.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to respond.
So yes I can understand that sometimes the loading time can take time, the current situation makes that I have for the moment very few games, what seems strange to me is that once the images loaded in cache memory, When I leave and come back on it and the images reload completely, and that makes my machine slow down completely, it is almost frozen, I can do almost nothing! If you need other additional elements or a log file tell me, in addition I will buy the premium version to go further in the customization, I would love to solve this little problem which is perfectly painful, thank you very much.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:33 AM, Delin said:

v10.10 Free version

Try setting 'Tools - Options - Legacy - Images - Default background' to 'Use Launchbox Default Background'

Also try setting 'Tools - Options - Visuals - Backgrounds - Background Blur Amount' to '0'

(These are just friendly suggestions. I am not part of the LaunchBox team - Kudos for making this program).

@lokaz Yes, it would be worth trying the above to see if it helps anything. However, I don't feel like your experiences are normal, so there may be something weird going on like a driver issue or a background app interfering somehow. Can you try closing anything you happen to have running in the background to see if there might be a conflict with something?

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

@lokaz Oui, il vaudrait la peine d'essayer ce qui précède pour voir si cela aide quelque chose. Cependant, je ne pense pas que vos expériences soient normales, il peut donc y avoir quelque chose de bizarre comme un problème de pilote ou une application d'arrière-plan qui interfère d'une manière ou d'une autre. Pouvez-vous essayer de fermer tout ce que vous avez en cours d'exécution en arrière-plan pour voir s'il pourrait y avoir un conflit avec quelque chose?

Hello Jason, so I applied what Delin recommended me to do, it doesn't change much, however, I had a background application that runs an animated wallpaper on my computer. work and by stopping it I see that launchbox is a little more fluid, however I have a lot of margin in material resource it is strange but good finally.

The weird thing is that at the very beginning I had absolutely no slowdown, now the images load much better, it's more fluid, it just lacks a little bit of optimization and it would be perfect, I know that it takes a very long time to get there, and that's why I support the project 300%;)