LaunchBox Community Forums

Background images (fanart) not showing up per game in BB

mrl72

Urgh, I don't know why I can't wrap my head around these image folders. But anyway, I just set up a new Pinball FX3 platform and downloaded a media back from this site. I placed all the image folders under Platforms > Pinball FX3 and all looks good. However when browsing the games in BB in that platform there are no background images showing up at all for each game, only the clear logo and the video snap. From what I understand the background images should be in Platform > Pinball FX3 > Fanart - Background, which they are. In LB options I have background priority as Fanart - Background at the top.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

5 minutes ago, mrl72 said:

Tried that, I still get a plain background. Example:

image.thumb.png.b43b6ff50a1b1860938d356202395081.png

Could it be the theme? I'm using Unified Redux and actually I noticed it's not changing the background for the other categories I have too.

Yes it is likely the theme does not have artwork for your specific platform name, the Unified themes have platform specific artwork included, so you may need to rename some, or create and add some for your platform.

I'm not familiar with how that theme grabs/uses images. But if it is using exclusively theme images you could try dragging the image to the:
\\Launchbox\Themes\THEME_NAME\Images\Platforms\Fanart\
directory. THEME_NAME would be the unified theme's folder name (not sure what it is).

6 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

I'm not familiar with how that theme grabs/uses images. But if it is using exclusively theme images you could try dragging the image to the:
\\Launchbox\Themes\THEME_NAME\Images\Platforms\Fanart\
directory. THEME_NAME would be the unified theme's folder name (not sure what it is).

Thanks. I just tried that and still no dice.

I placed the images in:

\LaunchBox\Themes\Unified Redux\Images\Platforms\Fanart

And named them the same as the game.

Note that there was a readme.txt in that folder that states:

Place your custom platform fanart (background) images here and they will automatically override the user's existing platform fanart images when this theme is in use. Name the images by the name of the platform, such as Nintendo 64.jpg. Both JPG and PNG images are supported.

So I think that is just art for platforms, not for the games themselves.

Just to make sure all is correct in your LaunchBox set up. Could you go to that table in LaunchBox, right click and hit edit game. Then in the bottom right where it shows images, could you tell me if the image you think should be displayed is showing in there and what the title is on that image?

35 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Just to make sure all is correct in your LaunchBox set up. Could you go to that table in LaunchBox, right click and hit edit game. Then in the bottom right where it shows images, could you tell me if the image you think should be displayed is showing in there and what the title is on that image?

Yeah, here you go:

image.thumb.png.9bb5f06555dfeae2369bbcfa92e60e3c.pngExplorer:

image.thumb.png.2a2f6acff0c49a4f7574924e2b35fea4.png

BTW, I'm not entirely bothered if the background doesn't appear when scrolling through the games (I think it's mentioned in the performance thread that it can slow down the experience) but I'd at least like the background image on the game details screen, right now it's the same grey background.

Edited by mrl72

image.thumb.png.af9a0844743b2922dd4f63ea155fcf07.png

15 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Redux will look for a theme specific background and pulls the image from \LaunchBox\Themes\Unified Redux\Images\Theme\Background\

Not sure if you can get it to show the game's fanart background image.

Yeah I tied putting the game's image in there but it didn't pick it up. By the looks of the images in that folder, they are mainly playlist/platform specific. If I drop an image in with the name Pinball FX3.jpg, I at least get a bknd image. But it is the same on every game detail screen.

Edited by mrl72

Just now, mrl72 said:

image.thumb.png.af9a0844743b2922dd4f63ea155fcf07.png

Yeah I tied putting jaws.png in there but it didn't pick it up. By the looks of the images in that folder, they are mainly playlist/platform specific. If I drop an image in with the name Pinball FX3.jpg, I at least get a bknd image. But it is the same on every game detail screen.

That’s why I mentioned I do not think with the Unified theme’s you can use a game specific background. It is looking for platform/playlist image.