LaunchBox Community Forums

Cant get roms to work

therealvegasmike

2 minutes ago, therealvegasmike said:

I see the suggestion to check my emulator but i dont know where to find that and i wouldnt know what to look for once i found it. as you have probably guessed im pretty new to all this and im kind of an idiot.

Have you actually downloaded any emulators, as Launchbox doesnt include any?

Okay, first and foremost:

• Always make sure the games are launching through the standalone emulator OUTSIDE of launchbox.

(This is important especially if you're going to ask on the forums, as this will tell us if its a problem with the emulator, or with your launchbox setup. As Neil mentioned, launchbox is NOT an emulator. It is just a front end. You have to supply it with the Emulator and the Game.)

Secondly:

• When you ask questions be as specific as possible. You said you're new and that's alright, but you gotta tell us more. Pick one system, one emulator, and tell us what you tried.

e.g I have a full mame romset and I'm trying to launch arcade roms through launchbox but I get a blackscreen. I can launch the games fine through mame.

^All of these details will help us zero-in on your problem.

Welcome to retrogaming.  :D 

46 minutes ago, therealvegasmike said:

Ok, sorry about that. When I go to launch any of the arcade roms it acts like it is starting for about 3 or 4 seconds the reverts right back to the screen where i was just trying to launch it from. Also it is from rom set

You are still not letting us know if the games work when launched directly from the emulator.

With Mame. Can you launch and play a game directly from Mame (without using Launchbox)?

Ok, its going on a week now and i still havent got lb or bb to do anything except show the arcade roms i have.  Yes, they work outside of lb on mame. Do the roms need to be unzipped or something? I also bought a new computer and tried it out on it only to get the same results. Nothing. I was told to give more information but I dont know what else to add. 

@therealvegasmike  please do not open new threads for the same issue. Its not necessary. 

I have combined your two threads  

Can you share pics.

1: Edit Mame in Manage Emualtors and share a pic of the Details Tab and the Associated Platforms tab.

2: Right click and edit a Mame game and share a pic of the Launcher tab and the Emulation tab.

If your roms are working directly in Mame then you have something not connected in Launchbox. The pics can help us see if that is so. 

2 hours ago, therealvegasmike said:

Ok, its going on a week now and i still havent got lb or bb to do anything except show the arcade roms i have.  Yes, they work outside of lb on mame. Do the roms need to be unzipped or something? I also bought a new computer and tried it out on it only to get the same results. Nothing. I was told to give more information but I dont know what else to add. 

What version is your romset and MAME emulator version?

7 hours ago, therealvegasmike said:

0218 i think. and im not sure on the rom set

Well your romset and emulator version should really match for a start for 100% compatibility, it could simply be that your roms are not compatible with your emulator. Also are you testing EXACTLY the same rom in MAME and in Launchbox? And please please provide us with the images we have been asking for since the beginning, specifically these ones. Go to tools/manage emulators/mame and take a shot, like this.

image.thumb.png.1874bd969f41bd2758f1f090e9fe5337.pngAlso click the associated platform tab there and show a image of that with your Arcade platform visible.

image.thumb.png.904ff7f20fee8d35576753883062ae12.png

Also right click a arcade game and go to edit, take a shot of the main window you see,

image.thumb.png.f5e327de961f59a8f5f7d47ddeac438b.pngThen click the emulator tab in that same window and take a shot of that.

image.thumb.png.654df642e6a6b2b7d362ad270f3280f2.png