LaunchBox Community Forums

Neo Geo Roms running on NeoRagex 5, but not Retroarch FBAlpha2012?

xenotoca

just spent somehours and hours trying to get NeoGeo to work following tutorial  

LaunchBox Setup Guide NEO-GEO Using RetroArch..................

files go in, info shows but game never loads, the latest LaunchBox menu is completely different to the older ones but whenever i click OK  I get "Please enter at least one applicaple platform in the grid"  ??????????no idea what grid and what i am supposed to enter. .the tutorials are way out of date as they refer to previous old versions of LaunchBox with completely different tools menus. Neo Geo works fine with nebula ect and whilst I would like a list of available games (not interested in box art etc) I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that individual emulators is the way to go.

the other problem is when when adding games i get a message "Please enter at least one applicable platform in the grid"  What grid,what platform????. Cryptic messages like this are not helpful with out a list of error messages and their meaning and if possible how to correct the problem

7 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

just spent somehours and hours trying to get NeoGeo to work following tutorial  

LaunchBox Setup Guide NEO-GEO Using RetroArch..................

files go in, info shows but game never loads, the latest LaunchBox menu is completely different to the older ones but whenever i click OK  I get "Please enter at least one applicaple platform in the grid"  ??????????no idea what grid and what i am supposed to enter. .the tutorials are way out of date as they refer to previous old versions of LaunchBox with completely different tools menus. Neo Geo works fine with nebula ect and whilst I would like a list of available games (not interested in box art etc) I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that individual emulators is the way to go.

the other problem is when when adding games i get a message "Please enter at least one applicable platform in the grid"  What grid,what platform????. Cryptic messages like this are not helpful with out a list of error messages and their meaning and if possible how to correct the problem

There are tabs on the manage emulator screen, one is associated platforms, this is where you tell Launchbox which systems the emulator supports, and in the case of Retroarch, which core to use for that platform. This has been the same forever and has not changed, it is exactly the same as it has always been.

yes launchbox is a front end, hence my stating I am not interested in all the box art ect but you do have the ability to just display a list and load from that whereas most individual emulators ask you to load a game often from much abbreviated file names.

this does not alter the fact that the tutorials are way out of date and when things go wrong and an error message shows up there is nowere to go to see were you have gone wrong

5 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

been there done that still dont load in fact i think eta has done two videos on setting up neogo, followed both to the letter with the same result

Well if you are following an old video to the letter and using a newer version of Launchbox then of course it will not work. You even stated things are not the same. Also we cannot control if Youtube channels do not take down old content or make new ones. So that is just the nature of Youtube tutorials.

We can get you going and setup right.

First before we do, can you confirm your games play directly in Retroarch without using Launchbox.

Also do you still have your roms imported into Launchbox or did you delete it all?

not tried that, long time since i used retroarch as a front end so will have to re-familiarize myself with it. will get back to you. Certainly run in stand alone emulators.

Have deleted roms  from launhbox and reimported them several times, still in games folder in LaunchBox.

10 hours ago, xenotoca said:

and when things go wrong and an error message shows up there is nowere to go to see were you have gone wrong

Those are not error messages, they are simply dialogue boxes stating you havent provided enough information to setup a platform correctly. You will need to add your neogeo platform name and the core you want to use in "the grid" that is available under the associated platform tab. You HAVE to tell Launchbox what platforms to use for a emulator, it has no way to know by itself that you want to load a certain systems games with a certain emulator otherwise.

"The Grid" being referred to. Which is hugely important.

image.thumb.png.a83e4c17d0213b3f9d634a915fbfdcfe.png

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work.  The set which I downloaded is a combination of different consoles one of which is Neo Geo.  I have downloaded the different cores for RetroArch/Neo Geo and have had no luck getting any FBAlpha core to work with the set of roms I downloaded.  NeoRagex 5.0 will run them all without problem, but there is no smooth way for me integrate it with Launchbox (it will pull up the menu for NeoRage and then run it, but not like Retroarch where it will just launch the game).

Does anyone know why this is the case?  If there is no way to get Retroarch, whats the best way to configure it so it can use NeoRage instead?  I've been reading people saying they prefer RetroArch, but I cannot find a rom set that works with one of its Neo Geo cores. 

I am combining this thread with your original. It is not necessary to open a new thread for the same issue.

There probably are not newer rom sets for the individual arcade systems. Most of the ones I have seen online are older rom versions. If you want to run a separate platform for Neo Geo I would download the latest full mame romset and run a bat file to copy out the NeoGeo games. This way you have a modern set that works with newer Mame standalone or Retroarch cores.

Here is a .bat file that copies out all of the Neo games (the different versions of each game and the bootlegs) along with the Neo Geo bios/support file(s) needed. This was made off of Mame 217 roms and still works in current Mame version of 218. If you have a 217/218 full mame rom set drop this bat file in it and run it. All it does is make a new folder called NeoGeo and copies to needed files into it. It does not delete them from the Mame set. You can then move the NeoGeo folder where you want and import it as its own platform.

If you right click and open the file you will see it is just simple commands to copy the files.

Similar to what Monkus did here.

NeoGeo Zip Mame 217 Copy.bat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I am combining this thread with your original. It is not necessary to open a new thread for the same issue.

There probably are not newer rom sets for the individual arcade systems. Most of the ones I have seen online are older rom versions. If you want to run a separate platform for Neo Geo I would download the latest full mame romset and run a bat file to copy out the NeoGeo games. This way you have a modern set that works with newer Mame standalone or Retroarch cores.

Here is a .bat file that copies out all of the Neo games (the different versions of each game and the bootlegs) along with the Neo Geo bios/support file(s) needed. This was made off of Mame 217 roms and still works in current Mame version of 218. If you have a 217/218 full mame rom set drop this bat file in it and run it. All it does is make a new folder called NeoGeo and copies to needed files into it. It does not delete them from the Mame set. You can then move the NeoGeo folder where you want and import it as its own platform.

If you right click and open the file you will see it is just simple commands to copy the files.

Similar to what Monkus did here.

NeoGeo Zip Mame 217 Copy.bat 7.06 kB · 0 downloads

Not sure what this was supposed to do.  It created the NeoGeo folder, created some files in there.  Copied the files there and added them to the rom files.  It's still the same problem as before.  No action when I click on a NeoGeo game to play.  Is there any chance someone can try setup it their Launchbox for NeoGeo from the very beginning?  I feel like all the guides are outdated and no one sees these problems since they've set it up a long time ago.

Its supposed to do what I mentioned it does In my post. You need to download a Mame 217 or 218 rom set and run the bat file in it. It just pulls out the necessary Neo Geo rom files from a good Mame rom set. This way you now have good up to date working roms instead of that old out of date set you downloaded.

You can use these to now set up to work with Mame or Retroarch.  Once tested the emulator is setup and working you can then import. 

Are you wanting to use Mame or Retroarch? I have mine set to work with Mame. 

16 minutes ago, Phenomenon101 said:

I feel like all the guides are outdated and no one sees these problems since they've set it up a long time ago.

People are setting up these platforms every day, they just use "correct" and "recent" roms, along with the correct emulator. 

@Retro808 told you to use that bat file on a new MAME romset, its not gonna work on your old random set from the internet. There is nothing we can do to help with the, to be honest shitty rom pack you have currently. Thats not a problem with Launchbox, its a problem with your old roms trying to use them with new emulators. Do yourself a favour and google "MAME internet archive" or "fba internet archive" and get roms not designed for a out of date emulator that know one uses anymore.

16 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Its supposed to do what I mentioned it does In my post. You need to download a Mame 217 or 218 rom set and run the bat file in it. It just pulls out the necessary Neo Geo rom files from a good Mame rom set. This way you now have good up to date working roms instead of that old out of date set you downloaded.

You can use these to now set up to work with Mame or Retroarch.  Once tested the emulator is setup and working you can then import. 

Are you wanting to use Mame or Retroarch? I have mine set to work with Mame. 

16 hours ago, neil9000 said:

People are setting up these platforms every day, they just use "correct" and "recent" roms, along with the correct emulator. 

@Retro808 told you to use that bat file on a new MAME romset, its not gonna work on your old random set from the internet. There is nothing we can do to help with the, to be honest shitty rom pack you have currently. Thats not a problem with Launchbox, its a problem with your old roms trying to use them with new emulators. Do yourself a favour and google "MAME internet archive" or "fba internet archive" and get roms not designed for a out of date emulator that know one uses anymore.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.  I went ahead and searched for "fba internet archive" and downloaded one by ghostware.  So the FBA core still does not load these.  So I'm guessing I will have to use MAME to run them?  I guess where I'm stuck at is why does that NeoRage set have no problem picking up and running the roms it was included with and this FBAlpha is having so much trouble even running a rom.  I tried running it straight in RetroArch and it didn't.  I'll see if I can get MAME to run these.

15 minutes ago, Phenomenon101 said:

Sorry about the misunderstanding.  I went ahead and searched for "fba internet archive" and downloaded one by ghostware.  So the FBA core still does not load these.  So I'm guessing I will have to use MAME to run them?  I guess where I'm stuck at is why does that NeoRage set have no problem picking up and running the roms it was included with and this FBAlpha is having so much trouble even running a rom.  I tried running it straight in RetroArch and it didn't.  I'll see if I can get MAME to run these.

Because emulators and rom dumps can and do change over time. A rom may get a cleaner/better dump and therefore the emulator may need to be updated to work with the new dump. So that is partially why an older set of roms may work with a very old emulator and not with a newer version.

Mame documentation has some good info explaining Roms and Sets. It is worth a read if you really want to understand the changes. The "Troubleshooting your roms..." section is a good spot to look at.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, Retro808 said:

Because emulators and rom dumps can and do change over time. A rom may get a cleaner/better dump and therefore the emulator may need to be updated to work with the new dump. So that is partially why an older set of roms may work with a very old emulator and not with a newer version.

Mame documentation has some good info explaining Roms and Sets. It is worth a read if you really want to understand the changes. The "Troubleshooting your roms..." section is a good spot to look at.

So yay! I found a romset that works great with FBNeo.  Now I have a different problem.  SOME games launch RetroArch and start fine.  Some do not launch RetroArch at all.  So I decided to go into RetroArch instead and try to launch those games instead internally through RetroArch (like 3-Count Bout).  The game STARTS in RetroArch if I launch it FROM RetroArch.  I'm still trying to see what i find about this issue, but I haven't had much luck.  Anyone have any advice?  It doesn't make sense for the roms to not be able to launch via Launchbox, but they can be started directly through RetroArch instead.