LaunchBox Community Forums

Cabinet button configuration in BigBox

rydin4life

As I've mentioned in some other posts, I have a Gameplay edition 32" cabinet coming from Recroom masters.  I went with this as I was going to run a Raspberry Pi in it, but now will alternate between the Pi and a MAME PC.  I know I'll need to use the keyboard to go through control mapping on each, but I have a question about exiting games.  On the RetroPie setup, I press Select+Start on a controller to exit back to a previous menu.  I assume I can set-up some type of configuration within BigBox to do this as well, like holding the coin 1 button and pressing start or another combination to exit out of a game and back to the main menu in BigBox without pulling out the keyboard to hit the escape button.  Am I correct in that?

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Yes. That is correct. BigBox has controller automation to exit a game back to BigBox. Some emulators may need a tweak, but most if the more common ones (Mame, Retroarch, etc.) work fine. 

Thanks @Retro808 ! Much appreciated.  I'm loving BigBox and Launchbox so I was really hoping to stick with that!  I was initially leaning towards the Raspberry Pi like I mentioned, but I'm now pretty much full MAME PC.  I'll be setting up my PC to only run arcade games with MAME, so as long as I can exit a game with a button combination back into the BigBox frontend, I'm happy!  

Thanks again for all of your help here, much appreciated!

10 hours ago, rydin4life said:

Thanks @Retro808 ! Much appreciated.  I'm loving BigBox and Launchbox so I was really hoping to stick with that!  I was initially leaning towards the Raspberry Pi like I mentioned, but I'm now pretty much full MAME PC.  I'll be setting up my PC to only run arcade games with MAME, so as long as I can exit a game with a button combination back into the BigBox frontend, I'm happy!  

No worries. Our forum is a small community but we do provide as much help as we can.

10 hours ago, rydin4life said:

For MAME specifically its best to set a exit combo in the MAME UI. Just look in the controls/UI section for "UI Cancel" and set your combo on that to exit MAME back to Bigbox.

Thanks @neil9000 and @Retro808

Thanks again guys.  I'm just setting things up prior to the cabinet getting here so I can just plug in, map my controller, and .  I was planning on using an older hp laptop that I have, maybe 6-8 years old.  It has a lower speed i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and integrated graphics.  The screen resolution is not great and the boot time takes over 2 minutes to load directly to BigBox.  I'm concerned that this will become frustrating to me and that the laptop may get hot and not be the best fit.  I was looking at upgrading to a SSD, but now looking at a refurbished Dell desktop with a fresh install of Windows, better processor, and SSD.  I could also throw a cheap video card in it for HDMI out that would be better.  I could put the SSD in my laptop for around $80 or just get a new machine with the SSD and better cooling/performance for $200-230.  Opinions on this?

My arcade controller allows me to press Player1 and Player2 start buttons at the same time to send an Escape signal. This backs me out of MAME windows. Or, you can do like neil9000 said above and set a two button combo of your choosing in MAME settings. I just wanted to mention it since some controllers have this built into them, without people knowing.

2 hours ago, rydin4life said:

I was looking at upgrading to a SSD, but now looking at a refurbished Dell desktop with a fresh install of Windows, better processor, and SSD.  I could also throw a cheap video card in it for HDMI out that would be better.  I could put the SSD in my laptop for around $80 or just get a new machine with the SSD and better cooling/performance for $200-230.  Opinions on this?

What are the specs if the Dell?

If using MAME is your main focus, single core speed and and SSD are going to give you the best improvement.

In MAME games, my NVidia GT 1030 ran games as well as my NVidia 970 GTX, which is much more powerful. If you plan to use some high end shaders, or higher platform emulators like Cemu, Dolphin, etc, than the GPU will become more of a factor.

2 hours ago, rydin4life said:

Thanks @neil9000 and @Retro808

Thanks again guys.  I'm just setting things up prior to the cabinet getting here so I can just plug in, map my controller, and .  I was planning on using an older hp laptop that I have, maybe 6-8 years old.  It has a lower speed i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and integrated graphics.  The screen resolution is not great and the boot time takes over 2 minutes to load directly to BigBox.  I'm concerned that this will become frustrating to me and that the laptop may get hot and not be the best fit.  I was looking at upgrading to a SSD, but now looking at a refurbished Dell desktop with a fresh install of Windows, better processor, and SSD.  I could also throw a cheap video card in it for HDMI out that would be better.  I could put the SSD in my laptop for around $80 or just get a new machine with the SSD and better cooling/performance for $200-230.  Opinions on this?

BigBox can be pretty taxing graphically on a machine depending on how much media you have displayed and the animations of a theme (so some themes can be harder on a system than others), if you have a bunch of auto-populated playlists (the constant need for BigBox to ensure the auto-populated playlist is pulling the required games), and volume of games in relation to the prior two items. There are other things that can affect performance within BigBox, but these are a few of the more common items. So strictly speaking about BigBox since you mentioned how long it took to load, based on what you plan to do within BigBox would drive your path of what system specs would need to be.

We do have a thread about some performance tweaks you can make so I would say take a look at it here.

Thanks @neil9000 and @Retro808 .  I've only created one playlist which is my Favorites, but the others are all of the autopopulated ones from when imported my full romset.  I am going to go with the Dell because I'm only in it for about $230, it has the SSD and a fresh Windows install, I can add additional hard drives easier, it should be better for cooling, and I can modify it easier than my laptop.  I can also add a cheap video card to give me hdmi out if I decide to....otherwise I suppose I'll need a VGA to HDMI adapter of some sort to go into my screen.

3 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

What are the specs if the Dell?

If using MAME is your main focus, single core speed and and SSD are going to give you the best improvement.

In MAME games, my NVidia GT 1030 ran games as well as my NVidia 970 GTX, which is much more powerful. If you plan to use some high end shaders, or higher platform emulators like Cemu, Dolphin, etc, than the GPU will become more of a factor.

Any suggestions on a card for a Dell Optiplex 790/990 series?  I have a PCI-e 16x connector..but it's a small form factor so I want to be sure I get something that fits.

21 minutes ago, rydin4life said:

Any suggestions on a card for a Dell Optiplex 790/990 series?  I have a PCI-e 16x connector..but it's a small form factor so I want to be sure I get something that fits.

Best Low Budget low profile GPUs

I had a GT 1030 which I started with that was fine for MAME. Only reason I upgraded was to use with emulators for more advanced systems like CEMU,

Thanks...called the company I ordered from and I'm going from the small form factor case up to a larger case...also adding something for HDMI out, but I'll figure that specific piece out later.  Just can't wait to get it and get things up and running...although my cabinet won't be here for a few weeks anyway!