LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch issues

bc320

I am running Launchbox/big box on windows 10. I downloaded Retroarch 1.8.4 (newest stable) for windows 10. I have downloaded cores for Atari, N64, NES. When I try to set up retroarch as the emulator for these and i go to the "associated Platforms" tab it shows "missing core file" every core listed in the drop down menus ends in _libretro. None of the cores I downloaded gave me that option. 

1) Atari 2600

2) That is my exact issue.  The cores don't show up as available from the dropdown menu.  The only cores that show up are the ones with "_libreto" after them.  For example, I downloaded Messen for NES. My 2 options for NES are Messon_Libreto or Mess_libreto.  Neither of these are options in retroarch.                               

9 hours ago, bc320 said:

I am running Launchbox/big box on windows 10. I downloaded Retroarch 1.8.4 (newest stable) for windows 10. I have downloaded cores for Atari, N64, NES. When I try to set up retroarch as the emulator for these and i go to the "associated Platforms" tab it shows "missing core file" every core listed in the drop down menus ends in _libretro. None of the cores I downloaded gave me that option. 

The names you see in the Retroarch menu are not really the full core names. Which is what you are seeing in the drop down list in the Associated Platforms tab in Launchbox. If you open your \Retroarch\Cores folder you will see all cores you downloaded and their full name. What you will find is nearly all of them end in "libretro.dll" So the core for Atarti 2600 would show as "Stella" in the Retroarch UI menu, but the core name is "stella_libretro.dll".

So just look for the matching name and it will end in libretro in the Launchbox dropdown.

Or if you want to be sure open the folder I mentioned and see what the full name is and choose that one in the drop down.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

The dropdown shows the cores you have downloaded, if its not in the dropdown you havent downloaded it yet.

This confuses me more.  If the dropdown shows what I have donwnloaded, why are there cores there that I have not (like the Wii) and why does the column on the other side (I forget the header) say "Missing Core?"

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You should be able to leave the Core cell blank and in the extra command line field type in the command line to load that core. I am not 100% sure as I have not used any cores not in our dropdown and do not know if what I am saying is possible.

Example: (replace the stellaa core name with the exact name of the core you want.

-L "cores\stella_libretro.dll"

I thought maybe that, but there isn't an option to leave that cell blank. 

2 minutes ago, bc320 said:

This confuses me more.  If the dropdown shows what I have donwnloaded, why are there cores there that I have not (like the Wii) and why does the column on the other side (I forget the header) say "Missing Core?"

I thought maybe that, but there isn't an option to leave that cell blank. 

Yeah I deleted that post as soon as I posted it as I was not confident in the answer. I never tried it and just looking at the tab I thought it may be something to try. Then I saw @neil9000 post and it reminded me why a core would not show up.

Just now, Retro808 said:

Yeah I deleted that post as I was not confident in the answer. I never tried it and just looking at the tab I thought it may be something to try. Then I saw @neil9000 post and it reminded me why a core would not show up.

That response doesn't make sense to me.  I have downloaded 4 cores but my list is a few dozen.  Some for counsels I have never tried to load into launchbox so there would be no emulator at all on my pc. 

Just now, bc320 said:

That response doesn't make sense to me.  I have downloaded 4 cores but my list is a few dozen.  Some for counsels I have never tried to load into launchbox so there would be no emulator at all on my pc. 

You wont have cores for all of them, some of the platforms there are pre-populated to save you from having to manually type in the system names, and they have a core pre-selected, but you still need to actually download the core in retroarch, or use the dropdown to switch to a different core.

9 minutes ago, bc320 said:

Some of the most common cores are prepopulated in the drop down. Others will show once you download them.

As you see in the first pic I do not have the core for 3D Engine in the list. In the second pic it now shows up now that I have downloaded it.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 7.11.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 7.11.45 AM.png

I just learned something.  I was going to run through exact files names and when I started launchbox now all of them were there.   I guess after every core download I need to reboot.  

edit: by reboot I mean I shut the pc totally off last night and started it up this morning.  During working on it last night, I had opened and closed both retroarch and launchbox a number of times.  When I got frustrated I shut the whole thing down, made this post, and went to bed. 

Edited by bc320

3 minutes ago, bc320 said:

I just learned something.  I was going to run through exact files names and when I started launchbox now all of them were there.   I guess after every core download I need to reboot.  

You should not need to. 3D engine showed up even though I did not close and reopen Launchbox. That does not mean there might not be a hiccup or something. But as long as you got them showing up you are at least a step forard.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

You should not need to. 3D engine showed up even though I did not close and reopen Launchbox. That does not mean there might not be a hiccup or something. But as long as you got them showing up you are at least a step forard.

When I did the genesis core there was no need to reboot.  Just when I did these other 4.  

oh well, now to config them.