LaunchBox Community Forums

Can Big Box be totally operated without keyboard?

draneb

I purchased a lifetime license of Launchbox/Big Box but have not set it up yet. I don't want to do a lot of work only to find out it doesn't do what I am looking for.

I bought an ultra small form factor PC.  I want to be able to carry it around with a couple of joysticks and be able to play games at friends houses without carrying around a keyboard. 

I have a Pi 3b+ with Retropie setup and while it is limited with some systems, I like how it can be totally navigated with a joystick.  I also like how it boots up right into Retropie without having to click icons, etc. So those are the two things I am wanting to do. I have been racking my brain trying to decide which front end would be best for this.

Can Big Box be navigated solely with joysticks? And launched at Startup?

I know I'm in the Big Box forums but if someone thinks a different front end would be better for this instance please let me know.  Thank you very much for your input and advice.

9 minutes ago, draneb said:

Can Big Box be navigated solely with joysticks? And launched at Startup?

Yes. You can move around in BigBox with just a controller or arcade controls and even set BigBox to start on when your pc boots up. You would need a keyboard to set-up everything and make tweaks, I would keep one handy even afterwards.

There are quite a few options, all with pros and cons.  I stumbled across Recalbox and Batocera over the weekend, which use the Emulation Station front end so it looks like Retropie.  I guess I will just give them all a quick trial and see which one works out the best for my scenario.  Ok, thank you everyone!

• 2 weeks later...