Hi @JoeViking245

How to make a variable path for roms??

Launchbox paths:

Emulator: D:\LaunchBox\Emulators\MAME
Roms: D:\LaunchBox\Games\Nintendo Game & Watch

MAME.ini:

homepath                  .
rompath                   "D:\LaunchBox\Games\Nintendo Game & Watch"

I need put all LB in External HD but don't want to keep changing the paths on ini on every computer I go to when visit my brothers or cousins.

Can u a help me? Thanks

Claudio

9 hours ago, Cauptain said:

Now make it work on Retroarch MAME.

I have never tried nor really have a desire to know how to run MAME through RA. But I know that many others do and there are numerous threads here on the forums that talk about it.

That's really cool how that worked to merge the rom and the bezel/image files together!  I'm adding that to my notes (because it is cool) but do have to say, you will save a lot of merge time by just putting the bezel files themselves in the "artwork" folder.  By default, in mame.ini the 'artpath' is set to "artwork". Just sayin'. ;) 

MAME is, I think, the only emulator that has to know exactly where the roms/bios/device/system files are located.  Even though we can tell it through the command line.  I guess you could say it likes to 'micro-manage' things.  Note: MAME through Retroarch will have the same issue.

Because MAME and LaunchBox are located on the same drive (which will be whatever the External HD gets assign to.  Be it D:\ or E;\ or S:\ or Z:\), there is an easy fix to making it 'good to go' with your External HD.

MAME.ini:

homepath                  .
rompath                   "roms;..\..\Games\Nintendo Game & Watch;..\..\Games\Arcade"
hashpath                  hash
samplepath                samples
artpath                   artwork

I left the "roms" folder in there for whatever reason.  I also added in the path to where your "Arcade" roms would more than like be located for your LaunchBox "Arcade" Platform.  Don't forget the quotes at the beginning and the end.  Also showing the "artwork" path. ;)

Breakdown of the rompath:

MAME looks for it "paths" starting in the folder from which it's executed.  [no matter what drive-letter it's assigned to or any  sub/sub/sub-folders it may be in]
D:\LaunchBox\Emulators\MAME

The 1st   ..\   takes you up 1 folder to
D:\LaunchBox\Emulators

the 2nd    ..\   takes you up one more to
D:\LaunchBox

now 'move down' to  \Games\Nintendo Game & Watch
Which results in:
D:\LaunchBox\Games\Nintendo Game & Watch

Hope that helps. 

• Unusual Gem 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Spottedfeather said:

Tiger handhelds don't work in mame. I've tried several. Every single one of them tell me that the "game title.svg" is an incorrect length...or other such nonsense. I opened the zip file and it's in there, though I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it.

Assuming it's MAME software list ROMs, are they the same versions your mame.exe?

16 hours ago, Spottedfeather said:

With all respect, I don't know what that means. The game roms don't list mame versions. I have Mame .236.

I just looked at my MAME ROMs for Game.Com (Tiger handheld) and they all have just a single .bin file in the zips.  So I'm not really sure what the .svg file it's asking for is.  Example "frogger.zip" has "frogger (1999)(hasbro - tiger electronics).bin" in it.  If it helps any, the file size (for this bin) is 1024KB.

Do you also have the required "gamecom.zip" system file?

Maybe share a screenshot of the error so we can see what the "other such nonsense" is.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, Spottedfeather said:

Tiger handhelds don't work in mame. I've tried several. Every single one of them tell me that the "game title.svg" is an incorrect length...or other such nonsense. I opened the zip file and it's in there, though I don't know what's wrong or how to fix it.

Tiger handhelds are part of normal full MAME set (I am assuming you are not trying to use Retroarch).  So, if you are getting incorrect lengths then you likely have a mismatched ROM set relative to your MAME executable version (likely by a lot).  They made a lot of improvements in two years with handhelds, so if for example using a newer MAME version and older ROM set then can cause issues (Google "pleasuredome mame set" and will find current sets).  The SVG file is what MAME is using to generate the background graphic of the handheld game (like tbatman.zip which is Batman Tiger Handheld game with SVG snap below).  MAME will not run if the checksum and sizes don't match and/or the file is corrupted.  

image.thumb.png.c808cd3ac44f39f2b801d275638fff1d.png

Also, you should have an SVG file in the Tiger game zips. If not, older set.  Example below is the Batman MAME file for Tiger with a binary and the SVG.  

image.thumb.png.1764d7d953b6efa24a172eefecd29b3c.png

Edited by sundogak

8 hours ago, sundogak said:

Tiger handhelds are part of normal full MAME set

Oh, those Tiger handhelds.  😊 My bad.  Thanks sundogak!

@Spottedfeather Based on the "incorrect file length" error you received, your rom set is probably MAME v0.214 or older.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, Spottedfeather said:

how to fix it.

You best option is to get a romset that is made for the version of mame.exe you have.  0.236

But if you're doing that you may as well, as sundogak suggested, update your romset and MAME executable. (current is v0.245. At least until Wednesday)

You may be able to, instead, use mame.exe v0.228 or older in which it doesn't have "artwork required".  requiresartwork="yes"  started in v0.229.

With your current romset though, v0.214 back through v0.211 would probably match them better.  But you will miss out on some improvements, emulation-wise that had been made since that release.

7 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Oh, those Tiger handhelds.  😊 My bad.  Thanks sundogak!

@Spottedfeather Based on the "incorrect file length" error you received, your rom set is probably MAME v0.214 or older.

You best option is to get a romset that is made for the version of mame.exe you have.  0.236

But if you're doing that you may as well, as sundogak suggested, update your romset and MAME executable. (current is v0.245. At least until Wednesday)

You may be able to, instead, use mame.exe v0.228 or older in which it doesn't have "artwork required".  requiresartwork="yes"  started in v0.229.

With your current romset though, v0.214 back through v0.211 would probably match them better.  But you will miss out on some improvements, emulation-wise that had been made since that release.

I got the Tiger handhelds working, but now I can't seem to get the Konami handhelds working. Like the tiger games, the Konami games start just fine, but it just refuses to show the background image. I've tried jpg, png, and putting them in any folder I could find that looked like it would work.

I got MAME .206 which let me play the Tiger games. Any ideas about how to get the Konami artwork to show ?

2 hours ago, Spottedfeather said:

Any ideas about how to get the Konami artwork to show ?

It's probably the same as Game & Watch.  Put the respective games' zipped background image files in the ../MAME/artwork/ folder.  The files in the zip (I imagine) are setup just like a regular bezel is.  It'll have a "default.lay" and several other files.

4 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

It's probably the same as Game & Watch.  Put the respective games' zipped background image files in the ../MAME/artwork/ folder.  The files in the zip (I imagine) are setup just like a regular bezel is.  It'll have a "default.lay" and several other files.

That doesn't do anything. When the game starts, it's just the characters without the background.

22 minutes ago, Spottedfeather said:

Yeah, they're named the same. Here....

You may need to turn them on then. I'm not near my cab right now but start TMNT, press Tab, then select (something like) display, select (something like) Display 0, then you should have different view options to choose from.

1 minute ago, JoeViking245 said:

You may need to turn them on then. I'm not near my cab right now but start TMNT, press Tab, then select (something like) display, select (something like) Display 0, then you should have different view options to choose from.

They ARE on. That's the problem. I don't have anything that says Display 0. And...cab ?