LaunchBox Community Forums

Tiger Handheld games

Newlander

11 hours ago, Spottedfeather said:

They ARE on. That's the problem. I don't have anything that says Display 0. And...cab ?

Well, they're not because otherwise they'd show.  Maybe "on" was not the right word. "Selected" may be better.  "Cab" is short for "Arcade Cabinet".  My Arcade Cabinet is where I have LaunchBox and MAME installed.  Since I didn't have access to at the time, I stated something like Display 0.  As it turns out (now that I'm near my cab) it's actually "Screen 0".  I was hoping you might have caught the assimilation. 

Since you have the ktmnt.zip file (that one holds the .jpg and.lay files. Not the game ROM) in your ../artwork/ folder, it should just work.

When you start the game and then press Tab to bring up the in-game menu, then select Video Options, you'll see different options for how the game is displayed on your monitor.  By default it looks something like (note "Screen 0"):

image.png.fc7330abe931187453e9fa391924a54a.png

If your ../artwork/ktmnt.zip loaded with the game, you should see more than just the 3 options (or completely different options) on top.  Use the arrow keys to change and Enter to "select".

If none of the options that come up show your games background image (bg.jpg), then most likely the .lay file format is incorrect and/or was written for a later version of MAME.  MAME updated some of the formatting for lay files sometime after January 2019 (v.0206).  Don't know exactly when.

Did you by chance change anything in the ktmnt.zip file?  Add/remove any image files? Change the image format (i.e.  .png to .jpg)?  I ask because the one I have looks like this

image.png.54438689351b3dd16f066eed7264ab2e.png

2 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Well, they're not because otherwise they'd show.  Maybe "on" was not the right word. "Selected" may be better.  "Cab" is short for "Arcade Cabinet".  My Arcade Cabinet is where I have LaunchBox and MAME installed.  Since I didn't have access to at the time, I stated something like Display 0.  As it turns out (now that I'm near my cab) it's actually "Screen 0".  I was hoping you might have caught the assimilation. 

Since you have the ktmnt.zip file (that one holds the .jpg and.lay files. Not the game ROM) in your ../artwork/ folder, it should just work.

When you start the game and then press Tab to bring up the in-game menu, then select Video Options, you'll see different options for how the game is displayed on your monitor.  By default it looks something like (note "Screen 0"):

image.png.fc7330abe931187453e9fa391924a54a.png

If your ../artwork/ktmnt.zip loaded with the game, you should see more than just the 3 options (or completely different options) on top.  Use the arrow keys to change and Enter to "select".

If none of the options that come up show your games background image (bg.jpg), then most likely the .lay file format is incorrect and/or was written for a later version of MAME.  MAME updated some of the formatting for lay files sometime after January 2019 (v.0206).  Don't know exactly when.

Did you by chance change anything in the ktmnt.zip file?  Add/remove any image files? Change the image format (i.e.  .png to .jpg)?  I ask because the one I have looks like this

image.png.54438689351b3dd16f066eed7264ab2e.png

I only have Screen 0 standard and cocktail. And that isn't the ktmnt.zip file that I have. Mine is what I posted.

I had to track down Mame 0.206 to get Tiger games to work. Now, I'm having the same trouble with the Konami games that I did with the Tiger games...not being able to get the backgrounds to appear.

Any ideas ?

I can't find any artwork. All I can find is artwork for arcade MAME games, which isn't what I'm looking for. I downloaded several zip files of mame artwork, but none of it had artwork for either Tiger handhelds or Konami handhelds.

I could only find a couple of zip files of artwork, but neither of them work. One gave me the problems we've talked about. The other gave me a few more options....but the background didn't show. All that happened. is that there were these diagonal "cube" lines across the screen. I don't know what to do.

huh. I don't know what I did, but it seems to be working now. Luckily, I don't think I'll have to go through this crap again, as TMNT is the only Konami handheld I've wanted to play. Now...if I can just fine the Full House tiger handheld rom and artwork....Can't find Simon's Quest, either.

Edited by Spottedfeather
  • Game On 1

4 hours ago, Spottedfeather said:

Now...if I can just fine the Full House tiger handheld rom and artwork....Can't find Simon's Quest, either.

Those two games are not emulated in MAME.  This is good reference to determine what is and isn't working as well as ROM names. 

Edited by sundogak
forgot link