LaunchBox Community Forums

Total noob here, none of my games are launching!

skeelo58

Just downloaded Launchbox tonight, and paid for the 1 year license.  I currently only have 2 games, X-Men, and WWF Wrestlefest.  

Both games work in MAME outside of Launchbox, but when I try to open them within Launchbox, I get the errors in the images posted....

I have verified that all those files are actually in the zip files, which they obviously have to be since the games work in MAME outside of Launchbox.

I feel like there must be a config issue within Launchbox.  

Can anyone help me out?

Error.jpg

WWF error.jpg

XMen error.jpg

Edited by skeelo58

15 minutes ago, skeelo58 said:

Just downloaded Launchbox tonight, and paid for the 1 year license.  I currently only have 2 games, X-Men, and WWF Wrestlefest.  

Both games work in MAME outside of Launchbox, but when I try to open them within Launchbox, I get the errors in the images posted....

I have verified that all those files are actually in the zip files, which they obviously have to be since the games work in MAME outside of Launchbox.

I feel like there must be a config issue within Launchbox.  

Can anyone help me out?

Are you using MameUI by chance?

If so make sure the Mame.ini file is located inside the main folder where the Mame exe is. It may be located in the ini folder.

2 minutes ago, skeelo58 said:

Yes I am.  

I was having an issue getting Mame64 or Mame working on this PC.

I'm assuming that is my issue then?

It should be. It is a common issue with MameUI and LB. LB is looking for the mame.ini to be in the main mame folder which is where the regular mame would put it. Try moving your ini to the main Mame folder where the mame exe is.

What version of mame are you using?what version of roms do you have?

Honestly I have better luck running mame through retroarch. Plus you can get some sweet shaders.  

my suggestion would be to delete your games off LaunchBox, then go download the retroarch portable (not the install)

place it in your emulators path in your LaunchBox directory and double click the .exe

go down to online updater>core updater>then scroll down to the version of mame you need (I.e the version your roms are.)

go over one to video>full screen mode>start in full screen mode.

Quit the emulator (settings will save)

go back into launch box and add an emulator, then choose retroarch and click edit.

second tab hit “associated platforms” 

go down to Arcade (if it isn’t there just type it in on an empty one.

then on the right click the fly down box and select mame.

save it. 

Then go to the importer and import your games.

platform Arcade

emulator=retroarch

then when they import try to launch them. 

instead of deleting the games you can also click on one then press ctrl+a to select them all then ctl+e to start the bulk edit wizard then choose emulator from the 1st drop down and Retroarch in the 2nd drop down and that will edit the emulator for your already existing games.

Also it is always a smart idea to make sure your games work in the emulator without LB before adding them to LB. If you can't get them to run through the emulator itself they will never start in LB and it narrows down where you have to start troubleshooting.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:45 AM, Tackett1980 said:

What version of mame are you using?what version of roms do you have?

---

n00b myself, but how do i check the versions of the roms? i myself struggles like hell to get pcengine and n64 to work. got the snes and genesis to work, wich i choose retroarch for, but none of the others work :(

4 minutes ago, flipporabasta said:

n00b myself, but how do i check the versions of the roms? i myself struggles like hell to get pcengine and n64 to work. got the snes and genesis to work, wich i choose retroarch for, but none of the others work :(

That's hard to really tell. Best I can recommend is picking 1 platform you are having issues with and let us know exactly what does or does not happen when you try to run a game. What is most important is letting us know if the game works directly in the emulator without trying to run it through Launchbox.

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

That's hard to really tell. Best I can recommend is picking 1 platform you are having issues with and let us know exactly what does or does not happen when you try to run a game. What is most important is letting us know if the game works directly in the emulator without trying to run it through Launchbox.

for both of the systems i use pipiggies.renegade pack and generally nothing happens when i try to launch them from Launchbox.
for most of my installation experience with launchbox ive been watching  Unbroken Software, LLC on youtube

Edited by flipporabasta

8 minutes ago, flipporabasta said:

for both of the systems i use pipiggies.renegade pack and generally nothing happens when i try to launch them from Launchbox

Not really helpful since PiPiggies pack basically has its own frontend has nothing to do with LB so we would not know how the games are set-up and with what emulator. It will not just work with LB.

LB is a front end and you need to set up your roms to run in your emulator of choice and then once you confirm your roms run properly in that emulator you import your roms in LB and set-up the emulator in LB.

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Not really helpful since PiPiggies pack basically has its own frontend has nothing to do with LB so we would not know how the games are set-up and with what emulator. It will not just work with LB.

LB is a front end and you need to set up your roms to run in your emulator of choice and then once you confirm your roms run properly in that emulator you import your roms in LB and set-up the emulator in LB.

ok i was in the assumption that well there are roms in the packs that i can use. wich worked for snes and genesis.

2 minutes ago, flipporabasta said:

ok i was in the assumption that well there are roms in the packs that i can use. wich worked for snes and genesis.

You can use the roms from those type of packs. But telling us simply that you are using PiPiggies does not let us know how you set it up in LB, what emulator you are trying to use with it, as well as if the roms for those systems run directly in the emulator you are using.

Let's start with SNES.

1. What emulator are you using? 

2. When you run the game directly in that emulator do they work?

13 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

You can use the roms from those type of packs. But telling us simply that you are using PiPiggies does not let us know how you set it up in LB, what emulator you are trying to use with it, as well as if the roms for those systems run directly in the emulator you are using.

Let's start with SNES.

1. What emulator are you using? 

2. When you run the game directly in that emulator do they work?

1. for snes i use retroarch and everything works fine. and using the proper core(have downloaded all cores i need)
2. for genesis i also uses retroarch and it works fine. and using the proper core(have downloaded all cores i need)
3. for pcengine, i also use retroarch but when trying to load it in bigbox it tries to start but i get kicked out to the meny where i can choose play and a lot other options. same with starting it with retroarch. i think i have the right cores for this
4. for n64 its just the same as #3. i think i have the right cores for this

Edited by flipporabasta

6 minutes ago, flipporabasta said:

4. for n64 its just the same as #3. i think i have the right cores for this

My apologies. I know you said SNES and Genesis works fine. I meant to specifically ask about N64. So thanks for adding that.

So with N64 even if you try to run the game directly in Retroarch it does not play? What core are you using?