LaunchBox Community Forums

LB/BB Not Loading After Patch

jamai36

Have not had any luck with LB patches since I jumped on the LB/BB train.  Every patch has caused severe issues and it's making me a little cranky - this one is by far the worst as I simply can not load the program anymore.  I am definitely not patching ever again as it works fine for me as is!

I loaded BB this morning to see a update software Yes No box.  I selected yes against my better judgement to have it download some directx thing.  It never actually closed the program for some reason, so I could continue playing.   However, upon restarting the program I met this error window: It appears your Launchbox Listcache.xml is corrupt. 

Going into the backups unfortunately does nothing.  I have tried backing everything or just the listcache and every date I have access to - no difference.  The only thing I am relatively certain is that the patch did it, as I load BB many times a day (I am doing a retro gaming blog this year so I play it a lot) and it is uncanny that it gives me this error the very next time I load it after it is patched.

Help!

53 minutes ago, jamai36 said:

Have not had any luck with LB patches since I jumped on the LB/BB train.  Every patch has caused severe issues and it's making me a little cranky - this one is by far the worst as I simply can not load the program anymore.  I am definitely not patching ever again as it works fine for me as is!

I loaded BB this morning to see a update software Yes No box.  I selected yes against my better judgement to have it download some directx thing.  It never actually closed the program for some reason, so I could continue playing.   However, upon restarting the program I met this error window: It appears your Launchbox Listcache.xml is corrupt. 

Going into the backups unfortunately does nothing.  I have tried backing everything or just the listcache and every date I have access to - no difference.  The only thing I am relatively certain is that the patch did it, as I load BB many times a day (I am doing a retro gaming blog this year so I play it a lot) and it is uncanny that it gives me this error the very next time I load it after it is patched.

Help!

This sounds like you have something very funky going on with your PC. Updates to Launchbox do not break it, we beta test these releases for a substantial period of time before release to the public. In fact this particular release of 10.11 went through 13 beta revisions before release, and you are the only person i have ever seen saying "Every patch has caused severe issues". 

So to start i would make sure that Windows, .Net and directx are all up to date on your PC. I would also run a sfc/ scannow in a command prompt to see if Windows itself is corrupted or missing files. And thirdly  are you using any third party antivirus?

Have you opened that xml to see if you see anything suspect? Having a corrupt xml could cause update issues. Check the end of the document if you see messed up text that would be the issue. It should end like the image below.

You say going into the backups does nothing. How are you using the backup file?

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 2.01.15 PM.png

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Have you opened that xml to see if you see anything suspect? Having a corrupt xml could cause update issues. Check the end of the document if you see messed up text that would be the issue. It should end like the image below.

You say going into the backups does nothing. How are you using the backup file?

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 2.01.15 PM.png

Opening up the zip file for each one in Backups and overwriting the existing folder/file in Data (after making backups of the originals).  I assume this is the way to do it?

29 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

This sounds like you have something very funky going on with your PC. Updates to Launchbox do not break it, we beta test these releases for a substantial period of time before release to the public. In fact this particular release of 10.11 went through 13 beta revisions before release, and you are the only person i have ever seen saying "Every patch has caused severe issues". 

So to start i would make sure that Windows, .Net and directx are all up to date on your PC. I would also run a sfc/ scannow in a command prompt to see if Windows itself is corrupted or missing files. And thirdly  are you using any third party antivirus?

Unlikely. New pc, relatively fresh install, not using third party antivirus.  LB is the only program I have ever had any issue with on this pc so far.  Everything else works wonderfully.

If I may speculate - the fact it attempted to patch LB while BB was open without closing it seemed odd.  Normally patches will close related programs before applying a patch.  With the previous patch, I suspect it had something to do with the settings of my GPU not getting along with something in LB, as the issues didn't occur at all within BB.  

It seems pretty clear to me that the patch did not properly go through - and is sort of "half-applied" - resulting in this error.  I would imagine re-applying the patch would rectify the problem, however I am unsure how to do this and am scared to re-install anything and lose 100+ hours of sorting my collection.  That's where I was looking to you guys for guidance.

Edited by jamai36

I would not overwrite an existing corrupted document. The best path is remove (do not delete it yet) the corrupted file from the \Launchbox\Data folder. Then copy one of the dated files and paste it into the \Launchbox\Data folder and rename it Listcache.xaml and test.

Zipped file? Are you manually backing up your data and saving in a zipped file? The list cache backups should appear as an xml file in the \Launchbox\Backups folder. Like the image below.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 2.12.29 PM.png

1 minute ago, jamai36 said:

the fact it attempted to patch LB while BB was open without closing it seemed odd.  Normally patches will close related programs before applying a patch.

Correct, You should see it download, then the program will close, the update installed then the program re-launched.

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I would not overwrite an existing corrupted document. The best path is remove (do not delete it yet) the corrupted file from the \Launchbox\Data folder. Then copy one of the dated files and paste it into the \Launchbox\Data folder and rename it Listcache.xaml and test.

Zipped file? Are you manually backing up your data and saving in a zipped file? The list cache backups should appear as an xml file in the \Launchbox\Backups folder. Like the image below.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 2.12.29 PM.png

All my backups are 7zipped these days.

1851507344_Screenshot(405).thumb.png.3e633534a74917e79af1e5c322f18fce.png

Yes!  Got it working again!

Since I mostly use BB, my backups were all BB backups.  Because of this I disregarded the LB backups from an even earlier date at the very bottom.  These ones worked!

Awesome - thanks guys!

Edited by jamai36
  • Like 1

Andddd it's not working again.  Mostly.  I worked late last night and I tried loading it again today and not working again.

It's slightly different since the backup, however:

1. BIg Box icon pops up, tries to load and then freezes there. I get the 'Big Box is not responding, do you wish to close it?' window when I click on it after a few seconds.

2. Launchbox loads just fine, though that's a hollow victory as LB does not work well with my setup.

3. Backing it up no longer fixes it.

Is there a way to safely reinstall Big Box and patch it?  I am quite certain that the patch never got applied properly, as it didn't apply it at all like the ones prior.  I don't recall what I did at the time, but I had the yes/no option in BB, I may have had the ability to continue navigating BB, can't recall - I do remember that it minimized to install some directx library type thing, and being surprised when I tried to re-open it, that it still seemed to be open.  That said I got no error messages or anything so I really am not sure - in fact it didn't seem to do anything but install that library.  I just know that I reloaded it an hour or two later and I got the .xml error.

So yeah, if anyone knows how to re-patch it that'd be great, otherwise I guess I'll have to make do with LB and hope the next patch with fix it.  This isn't a AAA release so I understand it's unfair to ask way too out of the support people. I can be patient.

Edited by jamai36