LaunchBox Community Forums

Inconsistent Franchise Naming vs. OCD (example James Bond 007)

Z3R0B4NG

My OCD demands consistent franchise naming so sorting in the frontend can function properly.  

I'm just gonna leave this here (i renamed a few myself, the rest i used the Sort Title to get into position) :

007.thumb.png.e115ac676f10f9e689f49bbb097cc257.pngthe naming of this Franchise is all over the place...

James Bond 007: [TITLE]
007 James Bond: [TITLE]
007: [TITLE]
[TITLE] 007

Can we please all agree that no matter what it says on the box, the Franchise name should always go first?  

Also... 
007: From Russia with Love seems to be the go to for people, even though the 007 is at the end on that cover as well,
but modertators put up resistance when i want to rename "GoldenEye 007" to "007: GoldenEye" !? ... make up your mind lol

• Haha 1

Well the problem is a franchise is different than a series, they are games licensed individually from the license holder, so are not part of a continuing series as such. They are based off books/films and each stand by themselves, its not a linear series of games from one developer. These are games from multiple different publishers, developed by many different developers, and vary hugely in genre.

The rule of the database is that the name on the box is how it should be titled on the database.

The Movies the games are based on are a Series.  

And that would mean 007: From Russia with Love is 3 times wrong in the DB. 
the REDUMP filenames say: "007 - From Russia with Love (USA)" while No-Intro says "GoldenEye 007 (USA)"  ...so it seems people go with the filenames rather than what it says on the box... hmmmh...  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 11:14 AM, Mr. RetroLust said:

Indeed, if we'd rename titles as such we would get weird names like: "Ghosts n Goblins: Ghouls n Ghosts" etc.

oh God lol

A custom Sort order (in the same way it exists for platform sorting) would be a pragmatic solution maybe for when the user who is so inclined to correct an offending title does indeed happen upon it.

And yea, this example is a bit unique since they bandy about the "007" somewhere in the mix as a marketing gimmick. The sad fact is you have to take this up with the publishers themselves. the game was indeed GOLDENEYE: 007. informally known as Goldeneye and sometimes addressed to goldeneye 64 (i know you are talking about the DS version but i want to raise the point anyway since many games were affixed with the -64, in this case even though tis not part of the published title and someone would want to do it here as well the way you opt for this change)

Either way, annoying I agree and feel your pain lol

EDIT: oh cool... I actually hadn't noticed the ability to edit a game > Other > Sort Title :)

Edited by nullgolem