LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox + OpenEmu

Hamfighter

Is there any discussion of Unbroken acquiring OpenEmu?

I have my arcade PC, but play with OpenEmu on my iMac all the time as well.

They have done great things with everything except Arcade games (which has been in beta forever).  I have to say, for the other systems, their setup simplicity is right up there with Launchbox.

Would be amazing to combine the strengths of both companies!

Edited by Hamfighter
Rewording...

Thanks, Jason...totally understand!  The idea of my favorite toy fixing my second favorite sounded good in my head :) 

Emu is not near the pony of Launchbox, but good for something to play with on the Mac.  I even bought Parallels just to have Launchbox on my desk.  While your program works perfectly, Parallels is just it's own can of worms.  

On a side note, have successfully converted several Hyperspinners!

Thanks again...enjoy every new version!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hamfighter said:

Thanks, Jason...totally understand!  The idea of my favorite toy fixing my second favorite sounded good in my head :) 

Emu is not near the pony of Launchbox, but good for something to play with on the Mac.  I even bought Parallels just to have Launchbox on my desk.  While your program works perfectly, Parallels is just it's own can of worms.  

On a side note, have successfully converted several Hyperspinners!

Thanks again...enjoy every new version!

Thank you very much @Hamfighter! All great to hear.

• Like 1

Plus OpenEMU is very different from LB.

OpenEmu is not just a front end and has direct integration with emu cores. Obviously both strategies have pros and cons but one of LB's greatest strength is it's ability to be very emu agnostic.

Additionally, on OS X you have fewer emu choices so sometimes picking an individual emu for a system makes more sense.

Hamfighter, curious specifically what parts of OpenEMU you would like to see in LB? I know some things like controller integration just aren't as feasible when you support multiple emus like LB.

• Like 1

I 100% agree that Launchbox is vastly more powerful and configurable than Emu.  I think, perhaps, what is comforting with Emu is that I really only have enough knowledge to be dangerous with ROMs.

I love the emulator scene more than all the consoles (and I think I have about all of them).  In fact, my ultimate goal is to have Launchbox up and running on my new Atari in the living room if and when it ever gets here :)

Anyhow, without an in-depth understanding of all the inner workings of emulators and Launchbox, it was particularly easy for a hobbyist as myself to simply drop the roms into Emu and have everything just instantly work, including all the different emulators.

In fact, I literally paused an ETAPrime YouTube video about setting up a new rom set within Launchbox to reply to this post since mine is currently somewhat piecemeal.  I downloaded a giant 70gb 0.219 romset, drug it into Emu, and bam, it all works.  Of course, controller configuration for arcade games in Emu is virtually non-existent since you can't configure individual games.  Like I said, I'm working to significantly upgrade my Launcbox roms with this set, but it's taking going step by step via video to hopefully get it all up and running.

Once it is going, I know it will be amazing, and I'll work on getting my Tankstick and Xbox controller configured, but it'll take me a while.

I am in no way bashing Launchbox!!!  If anything, I'm only bashing myself and my lack of in-depth comprehension.

I never stood a chance with MAME prior to Launchbox, and failed at most every attempt for years and years.  I purchased my lifetime membership and always love playing with Launchbox and BigBox.

So, long answer to a simple question...I'd like to be able to drop a rom set and not worry about having to download emulators and pointing Launchbox to the right emulator and ROMs.  Ultimately, I'd love to be an expert like so many others here, but I just haven't been able to put enough time into it yet.

Ultimately, I think Jason and his company are phenomenal, and I so respect everything he's done!  I'm just playing catch-up!

• Like 1

You know, the answer to all of this is me being slightly less ignorant.  I see a lot of how-to videos in my future.

Once I get the pc/tankstick up and going, I'll be ready to move in to the carcass of a 4-player arcade cabinet I bought on craigslist that's waiting in the basement.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's a lot I wish that we could do to simplify things from an emulator perspective. For example, I wish we could just distribute Retroarch and MAME all pre-configured and ready to go with LaunchBox. Unfortunately though, that's not really possible due to the licensing concerns and such. OpenEmu is in a bit different of a situation because of the fact that the project is open source.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamfighter said:

Ultimately, I think Jason and his company are phenomenal, and I so respect everything he's done!  I'm just playing catch-up!

Do not worry. If you choose to put the time into learning to do all the emulation set-ups yourself LB and this forum will get you to where you need. LB is very user friendly and the forum members are just as friendly and helpful. Lots of great knowledge here. I dabbled in emulation years ago when I built my first cabinet. When I revisited this scene 3 years ago I struggled finding a frontend I like. I came across LaunchBox and now I am stuck tinkering regularly and playing games just as much. LB even got me to learning just a wee bit of coding.

Best pro tip I can give if set up the emulator first, test your games and your controls then import the games into LB. If the games work directly in the emulator first it makes troubleshooting easier if the games for some reason do not play once you import into LB.

• Like 2

The YouTube videos are great.  Of course, they're usually a generation or two behind the current version, but I think I can make it all apply.

In the midst of all this, I downloaded the latest Launchbox a few minutes ago...keep em coming!

Hope I've made it surer clear that I don't intend any of this to be the slightest bit derogatory.  Just a bunch of questions and comments from a super fan :)

• Like 1