LaunchBox Community Forums

How to get dolphin to open on second screen?

Alucard205

So I realize this isn't a launchbox thing, but I tried the dolphin forms and they were of no help. I have my pc hooked up to a TV as my secondary monitor. When I use Bigbox, I have it go on that secondary monitor. Dolphin for what ever reason does not have the abilty to choose what monitor it appears on. Anyone have a idea for a 3rd party soultion?

Edited by Alucard205

If that works only for the UI and not for the game, go to   ..\Emulators\Dolphin\User\Config\   open Dolphin.ini.  In the [Display] section (down around line #44), set RenderToMain to False.

[Display]
FullscreenResolution = Auto
Fullscreen = True
RenderToMain = False
RenderWindowXPos = 0
RenderWindowYPos = 0

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The above doesn't seem to work for me at all. Dolphin on it's own remembers it's window position and launches on my second monitor no problem. But when I launch a game through LaunchBox, it for some reason launches on my primary monitor. Is there a special script that could fix this or maybe other setting in the dolphin.ini?

Edit - PCSX2 and RPCS3 have this same issue. They when using their exe alone, they'll launch on the 2nd display no problem. When launching a game through LB for these emulators, it'll be on my primary display. I was able to fix the problem on PCSX2 by using this script...

SetTitleMatchMode, 2
Loop
{
   IfWinActive, Slot
   {
      Send #+{Right}
      Break
   }
}

CXBX Reloaded and Xenia are literally just not able to launch on the 2nd screen at all.

Edited by BrainyCabde

I just wonder why LB doesn't respect the emulator remembering position settings(my secondary display in this case) and just forces the game onto whatever is primary at that moment. I'll try to figure out a script for each of the emulators that are problematic and report back if I find anything useful.

8 minutes ago, BrainyCabde said:

I just wonder why LB doesn't respect the emulator remembering position settings(my secondary display in this case) and just forces the game onto whatever is primary at that moment. I'll try to figure out a script for each of the emulators that are problematic and report back if I find anything useful.

We don't actually communicate at all to the emulator which screen it should be ran from, we just call the emulator via command line. The emulator may do other things when the executable is ran standalone, vs when it ran via command line, but you'd have the reach out the emulator devs to figure out what is causing that behavior.

4 hours ago, C-Beats said:

We don't actually communicate at all to the emulator which screen it should be ran from, we just call the emulator via command line. The emulator may do other things when the executable is ran standalone, vs when it ran via command line, but you'd have the reach out the emulator devs to figure out what is causing that behavior.

That makes sense. Well all is well. If anyone runs into this issue, use the windows key+p and select second screen only. This way everything is forced to launch on the 2nd screen. Steam's Big Box mode has an option to launch on the secondary screen, and when it does, it switches primary and secondary screens around temporarily while in Big Box mode. Maybe Launchbox could do something like this in a future update.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2020 at 12:40 PM, JoeViking245 said:

If that works only for the UI and not for the game, go to   ..\Emulators\Dolphin\User\Config\   open Dolphin.ini.  In the [Display] section (down around line #44), set RenderToMain to False.

[Display]
FullscreenResolution = Auto
Fullscreen = True
RenderToMain = False
RenderWindowXPos = 0
RenderWindowYPos = 0

This is a bit old but.... Where the heck is Dolphin.ini?!? Are you talking about Retroarch?

30 minutes ago, Kinglifer said:

This is a bit old but.... Where the heck is Dolphin.ini?!? Are you talking about Retroarch?

Stand-alone Dolphin. Definitely not RetroArch.  The post you quoted pretty much says exactly where Dolphin.ini located. 

..\Dolphin\User\Config\Dolphin.ini