LaunchBox Community Forums

No NEC PCEngine or PC Engine CD Platform?

Joe35car

9 hours ago, Klopjero said:

I know your pain.. They are there but you need to scrape them as Western consoles. Super famicom wil be snes. Nec PC engine as turbografx etc.. its confusing  

OK what's scrapping lol. I seen it but have know idea how it works. 

9 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Scraping, getting media and metadata for the systems. You can call the platforms whatever you like, but PC Engine you will "scrape as" Turbografx 16, Super Famicom you would "Scrape As" Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Just curious why it's done this way and that they don't have their own platform?

Edited by Joe35car

9 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Scraping, getting media and metadata for the systems. You can call the platforms whatever you like, but PC Engine you will "scrape as" Turbografx 16, Super Famicom you would "Scrape As" Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

OK is there a thread to show me how to do this. Now I have my NES and Famicom roms all in the Nintendo set. M NES set was 833 now it's 1107.

Thanks

One more thing. I have a complete set of Nintendo NES. When I mean a complete set I am using the DB from HS. It has 886 different games.  USA games first then other region games that were not released in USA. Why don't all my games show up when I add them to Launchbox?

1 hour ago, Joe35car said:

Just curious why it's done this way and that they don't have their own platform?

comming from hyperspin my self, I had to make some adjustments too. 
The general idea is, that they are not different platforms they just have regional differences. 

Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Klopjero said:

comming from hyperspin my self, I had to make some adjustments too. 
The general idea is, that they are not different platforms they just have regional differences. 

Welcome aboard.

Thanks. That's what I meant. On the other hand lots of these games from Japan like Famicom that also has USA games might have different sounds or graphics and harder game play. I was just curious. Just trying to wrap my head around this from coming from HS. Seems like HS is dead in the water and has not been worked on for a while. I will keep my setup just planning for the future.  :)

9 minutes ago, Joe35car said:

Thanks. That's what I meant. On the other hand lots of these games from Japan like Famicom that also has USA games might have different sounds or graphics and harder game play. I was just curious. Just trying to wrap my head around this from coming from HS. Seems like HS is dead in the water and has not been worked on for a while. I will keep my setup just planning for the future.  :)

HS has a very awesome community of people that churn our content everyday, it's different here. this FE is actually being developed by a DEV, that you can see, that you can interact with, I've been here a few years now and left for the same reason you have.

6 hours ago, Joe35car said:

Because they are not different platforms, they are just regional naming differences for the same platform. Our database is US based so platforms like that inherit the US name, all the games from other regions are still in there, just marked with Japan as the region. So scraping PC Engine as Turbografx-16 is no different than scraping it as PC Engine in the first place the as games are still there.

I have to do the same thing with Sega Genesis, i'm in England, and there was no such thing as the Sega Genesis here, it was the Sega Mega Drive, just like Japan. So i called the platform "Sega Mega Drive" and scraped as "Sega Genesis" in order to get all the games scraped correctly.

image.thumb.png.9768614f63ca000e443fb58e12219d47.png

5 hours ago, Joe35car said:

One more thing. I have a complete set of Nintendo NES. When I mean a complete set I am using the DB from HS. It has 886 different games.  USA games first then other region games that were not released in USA. Why don't all my games show up when I add them to Launchbox?

Launchbox imports exactly the files you tell it to, and who is to say that the Hyperspin list is actually a accurate list itself? No-Intro romsets get updated often with new games also often added, so i wouldnt take a old Hyperspin list as gospel. If you seem to have less games than you think then they were probably just conbined, which is a option in the importer that is checked by default. So for example Mega Man and Rock Man are the same game with a regional naming difference, and again as the database is US based you will have Mega Man in NES, and if you right click that game you will also see Rock Man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 11:43 PM, Joe35car said:

When you import your games, you will get to a screen that says "Would you like to specify any custom options?". Make sure you only select "Force Importing Duplicate Games". 

Otherwise Launchbox will either not import every game or it will group games with very similar names together.

Lunchbox relies mostly on No-Intro sets. It does not have curated lists like Hyperspin. In Hyperspin you get all the north american releases, european exclusives and Japanese games that can be played without knowing Japanese (plus prototypes and unreleased games that are playable). That way you get the most amount of playable games without duplication. So if the same game from different regions has significant differences, it will be part of the hyperspin database twice is the tag (USA) or (EUR), but lunchbox will either think it's a duplicate or it will group them together into one game if you toggle anything else on that import screen.

I still have my hyperspin installed just so I can manage my games and name my files properly. Launchbox is great but if you are used to hyperspin and having everything neatly organised, you may need to adjust.

Like you, I keep PC Engine and Turbografx desperately.  Just make sure PC engine is set to scrape Turbografx 16.

If you have everything organized in hyperin, you just need to copy over all your artwork. Launchbox will recognize artwork that is named the same as your roms.

If you need any help feel free to contact me.