LaunchBox Community Forums

Save state issue in Mame through Launchbox

DJ Callyman

Hi guys,

I have been having an issue getting saves to work when I launch Arcade games in Launchbox/Bigbox running in Mame. Initially I thought it might be a pause screen automation issue but even trying to save state by using Shift-F7 on a keyboard won't work properly. I've done a bunch of testing - here's what I've come up with:

• Rom launched directly in Mame - Save states work
  • Launched into Mame (double click or press Play) in Launchbox/Bigbox with Mame as default emulator - Save states don't work
  • Launched into Mame (right-click and select Play version) in Launchbox/Bigbox with Mame as default emulator - Save states don't work
  • Launched into Mame (right-click and select Launch with Mame) in Launchbox/Bigbox with Mame as default emulator - Save states don't work
  • Launched into Mame (right-click and select Launch with Mame) in Launchbox/Bigbox with Mame NOT default emulator - Save states work

All of the scenarios above that don't work give the error message of Error: Failed to open file for save operation - almost as though it can't see the sta folder or something?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm a bit stumped.

2 hours ago, DJ Callyman said:

Hi guys,

I have been having an issue getting saves to work when I launch Arcade games in Launchbox/Bigbox running in Mame. Initially I thought it might be a pause screen automation issue but even trying to save state by using Shift-F7 on a keyboard won't work properly. I've done a bunch of testing - here's what I've come up with:

• Rom launched directly in Mame - Save states work
  • Launched into Mame (double click or press Play) in Launchbox/Bigbox with Mame as default emulator - Save states don't work
  • Launched into Mame (right-click and select Play version) in Launchbox/Bigbox with Mame as default emulator - Save states don't work
  • Launched into Mame (right-click and select Launch with Mame) in Launchbox/Bigbox with Mame as default emulator - Save states don't work
  • Launched into Mame (right-click and select Launch with Mame) in Launchbox/Bigbox with Mame NOT default emulator - Save states work

All of the scenarios above that don't work give the error message of Error: Failed to open file for save operation - almost as though it can't see the sta folder or something?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm a bit stumped.

Are you using the new high score function in LaunchBox? If so, save state do not work with that function. They are disabled as a way to eliminate some cheating on high scores.

• Thanks 3

• 8 months later...

I had the same problem and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, but now it all makes sense, the weird thing is though other games are working fine, I had this issue with just one game as far as I know.

I like the high-score function it's great, it's a fun community feature. Since there will always be people that will try to cheat, I support every kind of measures against it!

Is there a way to turn high-score of in BigBox? Because my kids also play these games and a lot of the times they want to continue where they left of, specially when playing with friends.

It would be cool if you could launch a game with or without high-score enabled or if one could enable/disable it with a hotkey.

Anyways, thanks for the clarifying things up! Finally know where this error is coming from!

• 9 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 11:16 AM, Whistler NL said:

I had the same problem and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, but now it all makes sense, the weird thing is though other games are working fine, I had this issue with just one game as far as I know.

I like the high-score function it's great, it's a fun community feature. Since there will always be people that will try to cheat, I support every kind of measures against it!

Is there a way to turn high-score of in BigBox? Because my kids also play these games and a lot of the times they want to continue where they left of, specially when playing with friends.

It would be cool if you could launch a game with or without high-score enabled or if one could enable/disable it with a hotkey.

Anyways, thanks for the clarifying things up! Finally know where this error is coming from!

Did you get any progress on this?

I'm trying to get a second mame install with save states enabled working on big box for the games that don't save highscores on exit (Time Crisis mainly!)... Is this a no go if I also want Launchbox community high scores enabled? Or is there a way around it seen as Time Crisis doesnt work for high scores anyway?

Edited by JimboJambo86

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 11:46 PM, JimboJambo86 said:

Did you get any progress on this?

I'm trying to get a second mame install with save states enabled working on big box for the games that don't save highscores on exit (Time Crisis mainly!)... Is this a no go if I also want Launchbox community high scores enabled? Or is there a way around it seen as Time Crisis doesnt work for high scores anyway?

hey, no I never found a good solution for this. I have turned off LB high scores since my kids also play a lot and like to save games. I do have high score enable in mame just not for LB. And running 2 installs is just not doable for me.

• 10 months later...