LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing an existing Launchbox system into a new install

Johnny T

Hi all,

I'm currently building a new arcade cabinet and want to start a fresh install of LB in it's honour. I've added the MAME system but would like to add a load more - some of which I already have on an existing LB installation (my old cabinet that's being replaced).

I initially thought it would be a case of copying the following files/folders:

/Data/Platforms/PlatformNeeded.xml

/Emulators/EmulatorNeeded

/Images/PlatformNeeded

/Manuals/PlatformNeeded

/Videos/PlatformNeeded

But then I realised that I would also need to edit the /Data/Platforms.xml to add that system in. And then I wondered if there are other things I may have missed??

So... is there a tool that allows systems to be ported between LB installations? And, if not, do you know which files I need to edit? 

If there's a lot of files and hassle then I'll just recreate the settings in the new installation but just thought I would ask as I already have about 8 systems set up and working well on my old LB installation and it would be easier to just copy them over rather than start again on each one ?

3 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

LB is portable, so just try to move all your stuff 1:1 to another disk, just pay attention it has the same drive letter, then afaik no changes are due at all. 

Thanks DV. Unfortunately that won't work. I don't want to move 'every' platform over. I just wanted to move a couple of them over. So my Platforms.xml will have duff info in it if I just copy it across. 

It's not a problem though... I'll just open the first install - take photos of the settings - open the new install and copy them in. Job done! Thanks for your suggestion ?

On 5/11/2020 at 7:41 AM, Johnny T said:

But then I realised that I would also need to edit the /Data/Platforms.xml to add that system in. And then I wondered if there are other things I may have missed??

You don't have to add them manually in the .xml. LaunchBox will automatically add all missing platforms on the next startup.

The only thing you have to re-add in the LaunchBox settings are your emulators. Once you have added them you also need to change all your games to use the newly re-added emulators.

I think that's all you have do to make it work.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2020 at 5:52 AM, Johnny T said:

Thanks Cid. Much appreciated matey ?

Attempting to do something similar Johnny. I want to copy about half of the gigantic main build I have on one machine to another with less room. Did you just copy over the specific folders you identified and launched on the new machine? What did you do about data being read for platforms you didn’t want to copy over? That’s my main issue and concern. Example: I want to move NES to the new machine but not Dreamcast...what do I do when the xml data for Dreamcast is read on the new machine?

I've not done it yet matey. It's a new cabinet I'm building. I just wanted to copy over the systems that are set up the way I want them (such as Daphne and American Laser Games etc). But I've been busy still with the build and (real) work so not got around to it yet. If you come up with any tips/tricks to help with it though please post back ?