LaunchBox Community Forums

BB Pause Screen Features Don't Show

RevJoe98

7 minutes ago, kidshoalin said:

Retro808 do you have a ctrlr file for xbox controllers and the xtension 2 player emulator edition?

I don't use any custom configs. The Xtension normally works out of the box with Mame if you are using standard mame control mappings. Admittedly mine has been set-up for well over a year now so not sure if things changed in their software with any possible updates. 

If someone changes the load and save state mappings in either Mame or RA then the LB/BB Pause menu will have issues since it has the default command mapped into the AHK script in the Pause Menu tabs.

• Like 1

@RevJoe98 Try removing the mapping for "Show Pause Screen" in the Keyboard Mappings option and leave the one you have in Keyboard automation. That might be the issue. Those being mapped to different buttons might be causing the inconsistency. Not 100% sure, but I only have it mapped in the Keyboard Automation. Keep in mind keyboard automation means you have to hold one key and press the other. But try it that way and see if you get a more consistent Pause.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

Ok, so I need a combo for the pause menu? What combo do you use for the xtension controller? 

You should not need one. I like to use one just to be safe when kids are playing. I use Player 1 Start and the Pause button. Looking at your images you added you have set your hotkey to D1 (which should be P1 Start). I would remove the pause from the keyboard mapping and leave the keyboard automation and test that way to see if you at least get consistent pause.

• Like 1

It didn't work with the combo, so I tried it with the keyboard and left the automation clear for a try. It worked! The save and load worked, but my laptop got muted, so I don't know how that happened!? Thank y'all for the help! At this point, I wish I could have somebody remote connect and just fix whatever things I've messed up trying to work on it!?

9 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

It didn't work with the combo, so I tried it with the keyboard and left the automation clear for a try. It worked! The save and load worked, but my laptop got muted, so I don't know how that happened!? Thank y'all for the help! At this point, I wish I could have somebody remote connect and just fix whatever things I've messed up trying to work on it!?

A step forward. I figured those two mappings might be causing conflict. Was it Mame you tested with? 

That is odd about the mute thing since in your pic you had pause in the keyboard mapping set to key "p". Did you change that key?

I would caution having someone remote in.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely a big step forward! Thank y'all so much! Who knows what I changed when I first got started.? Lol I've gotten better, but at first I was working with only a keyboard, so that might be the case. The volume muted on my laptop while I was working with it earlier today too, so I don't know what is making it do that now. Maybe this screenshot?

06A7EF94-DC89-493E-BF40-C68E5F654B33.png

Ok, so I tried Zelda on RA through BB and the save and load didn't work again. When I click, it's like I'm just exIting it. When it worked it showed a message. So I tried Mame and it just dimmed the screen and pauses it again. All I did was close my laptop and open it this morning on the bright side it didn't mute. What is happening??

Edited by RevJoe98
Add about mute

On 5/19/2020 at 6:25 PM, Retro808 said:

I use standalone Mame and have RA Mame set up as well. No problems with either.

so your using keyboard mode in mame and when you press the pause button on the xtension controller you get a pause freeze screen or you get BIGBOX pause screen? If you have the BIGBOX pause screen with save, reset, exit etc. I would very much like to know how you did this.

Thanks

• Like 1

When I press pause on my xtension controller sometimes it just dims the screen pausing three games and sometimes the pause screen with all three features comes up. When it does come up, very rarely it will let me saved and load (I found it shows it on the screen when it works). The high majority of the time, it just goes back to the games no matter what features I choose. Here are videos of me trying.

Edited by RevJoe98
Took away irrelevant third video.

43 minutes ago, kidshoalin said:

so your using keyboard mode in mame and when you press the pause button on the xtension controller you get a pause freeze screen or you get BIGBOX pause screen? If you have the BIGBOX pause screen with save, reset, exit etc. I would very much like to know how you did this.

Thanks

I did not do anything special. Kept Mame stock mapping for things like Pause and Save/Load states. Which means Mame is using "p" for pause. Mapped my in game controls in Mame. In BB I mapped Pause in the keyboard automation section only and set it to the Pause Button and P1 Start. "Pause button" is the hot key and "P1 Start" is the activate key (I do not use  a single pause or single exit button since my cabinets tend to always have kids playing them). I also did not adjust any settings that the controller came with. So it is set to stock mapping as well. They have the software you can use to remap buttons. This is the same I did with the Xarcade Tankstick as it works the same as the Xtension it just has less dedicated buttons. 

• Like 1