Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
RevJoe98

BB Pause Screen Features Don't Show

Recommended Posts

No matter the platform, when I use the pause button on my extension controller, it only pauses the game, dimming the screen, but not showing any of the features like the save and load state. I want to be able to save the games and come back to them so my daughter and I can enjoy them. Every once and a while it will show up, but most of the time it will not. Could someone please help me. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you are just pausing the emulator and not invoking the pause screen. Do you actually have a combo set in Launchbox and Bigbox to show the pause screen?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried it with Mame and RA (Nestopia core). Very rarely, the pause screen will show up, and the save and load feature is there, but when I saved I can't load because it won't show up again even right after I resume the game and try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using the pause button on the xtension control pad (middle top of the 2nd player side). ABB40412-5926-4591-9941-7580B9BEC4A1.thumb.jpeg.145d60c403d1e9ee5d99183d34c326c6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

pause works in keyboard mode for MAME, so it literally pauses the screen or freeze it, if you want to use the pause screen with BIGBOX you will need a cfg. file and place it in your MAME/ctrlr folder

next step is to open Mame.ini and open and scroll down to CORE INPUT OPTIONS

you should see a line with ctrlr, beside that, write the name of the config file and then save "xbox2player"

I have the same controller and the downside is I will switch into keyboard mode if I want to play MAME games, and then switch it to Xinput for the rest of the systems, or you could leave it as Xinput and gain all the features from BIGBOX and means even when you use the pause feature you will get what you looking for, meaning the save, reset, exit features

here is the cfg file for you, it makes both player 1 and 2 work out of the box with the controller

also it might help to set your pause as pressing pause + first player number 4 key, thats what mine is set as

xbox2player.cfg

Edited by kidshoalin
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RevJoe98 said:

I'm using the pause button on the xtension control pad (middle top of the 2nd player side). ABB40412-5926-4591-9941-7580B9BEC4A1.thumb.jpeg.145d60c403d1e9ee5d99183d34c326c6.jpeg

check out the above post :)

  • Game On 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm such a noob, I don't really know what that means. I put the file in the mame/came folder. I opened the mame.ini filled and pasted xbox2player  next to ctrlr. Am I supposed to save Mame.ini as xbox2player ? I'm confused about what to do. This is where I'm at now. I'm sorry, I just don't want to mess anything up. Here is what I've done so far. 7BA32AFC-237C-46E2-AC61-281319D567AC.thumb.jpeg.e454a8f34d06a2941e90208547a3406c.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. Very rarely, the pause screen has come up for me on both Mame and RA(Nestopia), however, it is not consistent. Like if I resume the game and press it again it just some and pauses the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

ok you need to start that text from where all the numbers line up first, second then you need to just save as is, do not change the save name

thats it

after that go into XInput mode on your controller and your set

I hope you know how to get into each mode?

here is a video

 

Edited by kidshoalin
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my controller in keyboard mode. When I put it in xinput mode it wouldn't let me move the character (playing legend of Zelda through BB and RetroArch-Nestopia). I can move it in keyboard mode, so I just put it back to there.
     The pause screen came up consistently! However, it doesn't work. When I click save it just goes back to the game, when I click load it just goes back to the game. While trying it again to be able to write what happened I tried it again and now the pause screen won't come up and the game won't even pause at all now. I tried it on Mame and no pause screen but it find and pauses the game. What is happening? It looked like it worked for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you put the cfg file in the ctrlr folder?

if anything you can private msg me and I will what's app for you, I know this stuff can be frustrating sometimes

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

I have my controller in keyboard mode. When I put it in xinput mode it wouldn't let me move the character (playing legend of Zelda through BB and RetroArch-Nestopia). I can move it in keyboard mode, so I just put it back to there.
     The pause screen came up consistently! However, it doesn't work. When I click save it just goes back to the game, when I click load it just goes back to the game. While trying it again to be able to write what happened I tried it again and now the pause screen won't come up and the game won't even pause at all now. I tried it on Mame and no pause screen but it find and pauses the game. What is happening? It looked like it worked for a bit.

I have the same controller and it should work without any special config. Is there any chance in RA you edited the controls there and remapped functions like save and load states? I also use an Xarcade which is similar in it has a trimode option with the default set to mimic keyboards. Functions fine in keyboard mode as the Extension should as well.

Can you share an image of what you had mapped in RA for save, load, and pause and also share an image in BigBox of your Keyboard automation settings.

  • Game On 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I have the same controller and it should work without any special config. Is there any chance in RA you edited the controls there and remapped functions like save and load states? I also use an Xarcade which is similar in it has a trimode option with the default set to mimic keyboards. Functions fine in keyboard mode as the Extension should as well.

Can you share an image of what you had mapped in RA for save, load, and pause and also share an image in BigBox of your Keyboard automation settings.

are you using MAME is Retroarch? then that might be the problem, I use standalone MAME 64 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Retro808 do you have a ctrlr file for xbox controllers and the xtension 2 player emulator edition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kidshoalin said:

are you using MAME is Retroarch? then that might be the problem, I use standalone MAME 64 

I use standalone Mame and have RA Mame set up as well. No problems with either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...