LaunchBox Community Forums

Why would a rom simply not load?

Rags2Rickius

2 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Make sure you have the cchip.zip rom also. 

(It's a Taito TC0030CMD (C-Chip) device file needed)

Many thanks!

I’ve downloaded the cchip and added it to my rom files but no dice  - do I need to add it via the LB tools>add roms sequence akso? 

also tried extracting the file itself and placing it into the Superman folder 

(did that with other bios to get neo geo roms to work in the past) 

25 minutes ago, Rags2Rickius said:

Many thanks!

I’ve downloaded the cchip and added it to my rom files but no dice  - do I need to add it via the LB tools>add roms sequence akso? 

also tried extracting the file itself and placing it into the Superman folder 

(did that with other bios to get neo geo roms to work in the past) 

If you are running games in Mame the files should never be unzipped. The only ones that would be are chd files if a game requires a CHD (this game does not).

The support file Heardrush mentioned needs to be zipped and can just be placed in the same folder as your other mame roms. It does not need to be added to LB.

A question we should really know the answer to better troubleshoot...does the game run if you run it directly in Mame?

Also if you are just downloading random roms and files from a site or various sites, that is a good way to not have working roms depending on the Mame version you are running.

52 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

A question we should really know the answer to better troubleshoot...does the game run if you run it directly in Mame?

Also if you are just downloading random roms and files from a site or various sites, that is a good way to not have working roms depending on the Mame version you are running.

Good advice by Retro808, but Superman.zip and cchip.zip haven’t changed since Mame 0.196, so anything relativity new should work. (Technically 0.188 since it used cchip emulation before)

If any future issues running specific  Mame games, from a command prompt with the verbose option will can tell  what files you are missing and where Mame is looking for it.

mame -v superman

(You have to be in the directory where Mame is located. If you need assistance, just ask.)

9 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Good advice by Retro808, but Superman.zip and cchip.zip haven’t changed since Mame 0.196, so anything relativity new should work. (Technically 0.188 since it used cchip emulation before)

Very very rue, but that was more of a generalized recommendation since lots of roms remain unchanged. Seen way to many users here spend hours trying to chase down support files, or even good roms since some of these sites not only have old roms, but crap ones that do not work. Not anything I know you do not already know. I would rather recommend to a user up front to spend the little bit of time downloading a known rom set and work off of that then have someone spend unnecessary hours chasing files. Would have loved to have had that advice when I got into this long ago. 

@Rags2Rickius We always recommend setting the games up in the emulator first and testing they work. Then import in LB. This way if a game does not launch from within Launchbox it eliminates it being a rom or emulator issue. One less item to troubleshoot.

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Very very rue, but that was more of a generalized recommendation since lots of roms remain unchanged. Seen way to many users here spend hours trying to chase down support files, or even good roms since some of these sites not only have old roms, but crap ones that do not work. Not anything I know you do not already know. I would rather recommend to a user up front to spend the little bit of time downloading a known rom set and work off of that then have someone spend unnecessary hours chasing files. Would have loved to have had that advice when I got into this long ago. .

I’ve had to chase down extra files that were missing from quite a few of my roms 

Even the more preferred sites had missing stuff. I remember Double Dragon and the Neo Geo roms especially missing stuff 

It wasn’t so bad though - I kinda enjoyed trying to track down the files and getting them to finally work 

This Superman issue is a new one though. Never had it just not load before 

3 minutes ago, Rags2Rickius said:

It wasn’t so bad though - I kinda enjoyed trying to track down the files and getting them to finally work

For sure you can get the games you want to work, and if the hunt is something you like by all means. It was something I did not mind doing in the past. Heck the hunting gave me a lot of things to read and learn from

8 minutes ago, Rags2Rickius said:

This Superman issue is a new one though. Never had it just not load before 

Should only require the rom and the support file. Test in Mame directly. The other games you imported work if launched from LaunchBox correct?

20 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Very very rue, but that was more of a generalized recommendation since lots of roms remain unchanged. Seen way to many users here spend hours trying to chase down support files, or even good roms since some of these sites not only have old roms, but crap ones that do not work. Not anything I know you do not already know. I would rather recommend to a user up front to spend the little bit of time downloading a known rom set and work off of that then have someone spend unnecessary hours chasing files. Would have loved to have had that advice when I got into this long ago. 

Totally understand. 
Sometimes getting a good set isn’t always an option. Can you believe the top tier DSL service in my location is only 5 Mbps! FTTH is coming they say, for 2 years now! LOL

Rag2Richius, did you run from command prompt to see the error?

1 minute ago, Headrush69 said:

Totally understand. 
Sometimes getting a good set isn’t always an option. Can you believe the top tier DSL service in my location is only 5 Mbps! FTTH is coming they say, for 2 years now! LOL

Rag2Richius, did you run from command prompt to see the error?

Dang, that would drive me nuts. 5 Mbps!

1 minute ago, Headrush69 said:

Can you believe the top tier DSL service in my location is only 5 Mbps!

I'm on a 15Mbit connection so what I do is i rent a seedbox for 10$ a month and gives me all the space and bandwidth I need for my sets from PleasureDome and I can pull down what I want. I have a very nice hand picked Mame set using the Non Merged rom set and I don't have to worry about dependencies or anything and it's quick and easy to update.

24 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Should only require the rom and the support file. Test in Mame directly. The other games you imported work if launched from LaunchBox correct?

Yeah the other games work fine. I even downloaded another game to test if it was something else and that gave loaded without an issue 

8 minutes ago, Rags2Rickius said:

Yeah the other games work fine. I even downloaded another game to test if it was something else and that gave loaded without an issue 

OK, good to hear your others run fine. So definitely not a LB issue, but a Mame/Rom issue.

6 hours ago, Retro808 said:

For sure you can get the games you want to work, and if the hunt is something you like by all means. It was something I did not mind doing in the past. Heck the hunting gave me a lot of things to read and learn from

Okay

I just tested in Mame.exe directly and its telling me its missing files - although Im not entirely sure which. I have the CChip in my roms folder unzipped

16 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

If any future issues running specific  Mame games, from a command prompt with the verbose option will can tell  what files you are missing and where Mame is looking for it.

mame -v superman

(You have to be in the directory where Mame is located. If you need assistance, just ask.)

Have you got some instuctions I can follow? Am I to open the cmd window first?

12 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Ok 

FINALLY got it working

Deleted all files and reinstalled roms and it works 

Cheers everyone for their assistance