LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame UI - ROMS not loading from LB

Tai-chi-Hass

Hey all, 

I'm currently trying out Launchbox.

I have MAMEUI64 v0.175 (June 2016).

Many roms are working 1000s+ from the Mame UI. Now, I can't seem to launch like for like games from LB. For example Streetfighter xxx... works in Mame. It's either not there in LB, or won't launch. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks in advance.

29 minutes ago, Tai-chi-Hass said:

Hey all, 

I'm currently trying out Launchbox.

I have MAMEUI64 v0.175 (June 2016).

Many roms are working 1000s+ from the Mame UI. Now, I can't seem to launch like for like games from LB. For example Streetfighter xxx... works in Mame. It's either not there in LB, or won't launch. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks in advance.

If you are using Mame UI with Launchbox make sure your Mame.ini files is located in the root folder where the mame exe file is. So if you have it located in the ini folder like MameUI likes to put it you need to have it in the same folder as the main mame exe file.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The INI file is in the same folder.

image.thumb.png.72058725592925600c5004b6af1ffcdc.pngHere is an example of a game in Mame UI (Hyper Street fighter II....):

image.thumb.png.b463db7d79f4c3d7001eeb6a360e2765.pngThese all work if launched directly in Mame UI.

Now... below is Launch Box:

image.thumb.png.127b46252580229805157f65f9bb95f6.pngThis game isn't here. I used the feature to import the mame arcade full list. From my understanding, it should be there... no?

If I now import it as a ROM, it says 0 imported.

I hope this makes sense?

I'm keen to get this working for my boy (and myself) to buy the Big Box... but I'm stuck.

Thanks again in advance.

Hmm... I have a feeling I'm getting near what the issue is. If I right click a game, then go to "games folder" it's pointing to the wrong Mame Directory. It's going to Mame 64 instead of Mame UI. Could it be this? Is there anywhere to change the folder path from LaunchBox?

26 minutes ago, Tai-chi-Hass said:

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The INI file is in the same folder.

image.thumb.png.72058725592925600c5004b6af1ffcdc.png

No, that is the MameUI.ini. I said the Mame.ini. It is a completely different file. You need to have the Mame.ini in this folder.

26 minutes ago, Tai-chi-Hass said:

image.thumb.png.127b46252580229805157f65f9bb95f6.pngThis game isn't here. I used the feature to import the mame arcade full list. From my understanding, it should be there... no?

If I now import it as a ROM, it says 0 imported.

I hope this makes sense?

I'm keen to get this working for my boy (and myself) to buy the Big Box... but I'm stuck.

Thanks again in advance.

I see a game image for Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition right in your image. First image under the Street Fighter Series label. Did you have LB combine same game names into one rom? If you did right click the game and you should see the other version of each game.

Also please keep in mind you are using old roms with the LB Mame Full Set importer which imports games based on the most current Mame rom set. It will work to some extent, but some games have changed over the years and your set is easily 4 years old. So it may miss some game and may also show games you actually do not have. Not a lot, but know it does happen when using such old sets.

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

No, that is the MameUI.ini. I said the Mame.ini. It is a completely different file. You need to have the Mame.ini in this folder.

Is the Mame.ini a duplicate of the MameUI.ini file? It didn't come with it. Do I duplicate the file, is it a blank file? 

Regarding ROM sets, do you advise that I go and find the new ROMS? I mean these work... I think once I get this working, I can refine things.

Just need to understand the basics first.

I think the main issue is that it's looking in the wrong folder, which is what I'm trying to figure out how to change.

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

12 minutes ago, Tai-chi-Hass said:

Is the Mame.ini a duplicate of the MameUI.ini file? It didn't come with it. Do I duplicate the file, is it a blank file?

No it is not a duplicate. It is a unique file. Look in your ini folder. It is likely there as that is where MameUI likes to put it.

I think the main issue is that it's looking in the wrong folder, which is what I'm trying to figure out how to change.

Well if you right click a game and the rom path is not the same as where you told MameUI the rom path is, then that is also another part of your issue. You need to make sure your games in LB are in the same path you told MameUI the roms are.

Regarding ROM sets, do you advise that I go and find the new ROMS? I mean these work... I think once I get this working, I can refine things.

You do not need to get new roms. If they work and you can fix the disconnect in LB then you are good. But if you use the full mame set import just know it is listing games in LB based off the latest mame.xml file of good running mame roms. So from .176 to now there may be some minor rom differences.

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.39.32 PM.png

Ok. I copied the mame.ini file to the mame ui folder.

Now, I deleted the arcade set I had in LaunchBox... and tried importing them as "Roms" rather than importing the full mame arcade set. I only did around 20+ this time so I can try to pinpoint the issue.

I chose the option to make a copy to the LaunchBox folder.

More games are now launching than before... including versions of street fighter that previously didn't work. But again, the games are not like for like with launching directly from Mame UI. For example, I haven't got a single copy of streetfighter II working via launchbox.

I mean, shouldn't it be logical, if I import the same game list, I should get the same games?

Edited by Tai-chi-Hass

10 hours ago, Tai-chi-Hass said:

Ok. I copied the mame.ini file to the mame ui folder.

Now, I deleted the arcade set I had in LaunchBox... and tried importing them as "Roms" rather than importing the full mame arcade set. I only did around 20+ this time so I can try to pinpoint the issue.

I chose the option to make a copy to the LaunchBox folder.

More games are now launching than before... including versions of street fighter that previously didn't work. But again, the games are not like for like with launching directly from Mame UI. For example, I haven't got a single copy of streetfighter II working via launchbox.

I mean, shouldn't it be logical, if I import the same game list, I should get the same games?

If when you import your roms and tell the import wizard to copy to the roms to theLaunchbox folder is that the folder MameUI has the rom path set for? I would recommend for Mame not moving the roms. Use the option to leave the roms where they are.

What is the rom path you set in MameUI for your roms?

For one of the games that do not work can your right click the game and share an image of the screen showing the rom folder path?

Ok... this is the error message of one of the games:

image.png.9717fc10367ba97937fdbc50a5791631.png

If i right click / show games path, it's pointing to this folder:

image.thumb.png.1453b43b6f5bfd7104ae19589dc95e13.pngBasically where the game has been copied to. So, there's no a duplicate of the games - one in the \LaunchBox\Emulators\Mameui64\Roms

The other in \LaunchBox\Games\Arcade

No, Mamu64UI is pointing to its local rom path within it's own folder.

I can change the mame ui path... let me try that.

What I have noticed is that mame 64 ui is still referring to the mame.ini in the ini subfolder, not in the root. I can't find where to repoint it to he meme.ini in the root. Could this be the problem?

But again, why do some games work, some don''t (EVEN THOUGH they work from when you launch via mame ui itself). If there were wrong paths, from my understanding they'd all work or not work.

9 hours ago, Tai-chi-Hass said:

Ok... this is the error message of one of the games:

image.png.9717fc10367ba97937fdbc50a5791631.png

If i right click / show games path, it's pointing to this folder:

image.thumb.png.1453b43b6f5bfd7104ae19589dc95e13.pngBasically where the game has been copied to. So, there's no a duplicate of the games - one in the \LaunchBox\Emulators\Mameui64\Roms

The other in \LaunchBox\Games\Arcade

No, Mamu64UI is pointing to its local rom path within it's own folder.

I can change the mame ui path... let me try that.

You shouldnt be copying the games to the launchbox folder for mame. It will leave behind all the bios files for example. Also the MAME fullset importer doesnt even offer to move/copy the roms for you, so you are using the standard rom importer for this?

I've tried both.. i.e. standard ROM importer, also via the whole arcade set. I've tried leaving them in the same folder (i.e. MameUI roms), and copying to the games/arcade folder.

I'm going in loops, can't figure out why I have perfectly working games via the mame ui, but the same games won't launch from launchbox.

Am I using the wrong version of mame? My roms seem to be 2004 according to this (I'm now trying the latest mame - not the ui to see if it makes a difference).

If it sheds any light, these roms don't work in the latest mame, but only my version of mame ui 2017.

Do I just start again from scratch? Download the latest mame and roms? I'm sure everyone else isn't having this issue so must be something up with my setup.

image.thumb.png.183cc5512391107cb78fc78959d10af7.png

If your romset is from 2004 then you want a version of the emulator from then as well. There is a very good reason why romsets and emulators are versioned, they should match as the emulator changes every month and also game files are also changed often on a monthly basis, so a romset is only guaranteed to work with the matching version of the emulator, anything not matching could cause issues, more so the further away you get in versions. Personally i would just suggest getting a current romset from the internet archive and get the matching version of the standard MAME emulator. You dont need the UI version as you will be using Launchbox/Bigbox to launch the games anyway, and even the standard MAME does have a UI.

7 hours ago, neil9000 said:

If your romset is from 2004 then you want a version of the emulator from then as well. There is a very good reason why romsets and emulators are versioned, they should match as the emulator changes every month and also game files are also changed often on a monthly basis, so a romset is only guaranteed to work with the matching version of the emulator, anything not matching could cause issues, more so the further away you get in versions. Personally i would just suggest getting a current romset from the internet archive and get the matching version of the standard MAME emulator. You dont need the UI version as you will be using Launchbox/Bigbox to launch the games anyway, and even the standard MAME does have a UI.

Hmm ok. When you say get ROM sets, do you suggest downloading them one by one? I mean there are 1000s of them.