LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows will not detect cut LCD screen

Rsmith3533

I purchased a 28" 1/3 cut LCD to add as a dynamic marquee to my in progress build.  My Windows 10 PC has 2 HDMI outputs that work fine.  I previously had a small 19" TV running off of the 2nd HDMI as my marquee and a 32" TV running off of the 1st HDMI.  Everything worked great in BigBox, marquees were working well.  The problem now is that Windows doesn't detect the cut LCD at all.  I am using the on board Intel HD graphics, but have also tried a GeForce 760.  I know the HDMI input to the cut LCD works - I hooked a Raspberry Pi to it and it displayed without any issues.  Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?  I'd really like to get this working.

32 minutes ago, Rsmith3533 said:

I purchased a 28" 1/3 cut LCD to add as a dynamic marquee to my in progress build.  My Windows 10 PC has 2 HDMI outputs that work fine.  I previously had a small 19" TV running off of the 2nd HDMI as my marquee and a 32" TV running off of the 1st HDMI.  Everything worked great in BigBox, marquees were working well.  The problem now is that Windows doesn't detect the cut LCD at all.  I am using the on board Intel HD graphics, but have also tried a GeForce 760.  I know the HDMI input to the cut LCD works - I hooked a Raspberry Pi to it and it displayed without any issues.  Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?  I'd really like to get this working.

Check you refresh rate of the cut lcd. Some of those cut lcd will be set at a different refresh rate  like 55Hz and can mess with BigBox.

30 minutes ago, Rsmith3533 said:

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately I don't see any options on the cut lcd to change the refresh rate

You should be able to right click on your desktop and choose display settings. Then select that monitor and scroll down to the bottom and select advance settings. On that next page click on Display adapter properties option and it should give you a pop-up window like in the image where hopefully you can change. As you can see on my lcd cut off monitor it has options for and 68Hz and 60Hz.

Or in your Nvidia or AMD GPU software if you are using any there should be options in there as well.

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 2.29.39 PM.png

10 minutes ago, Rsmith3533 said:

The problem is that Windows does not even detect the screen as a primary or secondary screen

Ah shoot I missed that part in your first post.

Is Windows fully updated and all your video drivers? I have not seen any of those cut lcd's need any drivers installed. Usually just plug and play.

2 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

When you say it doesn't detect it as primary or secondary, does this mean when it is the only monitor attached as well?

As far as I know.  When I attach it as the only monitor, Windows boots but I get "No Signal" on the cut LCD

2 minutes ago, Rsmith3533 said:

As far as I know.  When I attach it as the only monitor, Windows boots but I get "No Signal" on the cut LCD

Its obviously not a "standard" Windows resolution, have you tried adding 1080x360x60 as a custom resolution via your GPU's control panel?

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Its obviously not a "standard" Windows resolution, have you tried adding 1080x360x60 as a custom resolution via your GPU's control panel?

When you are in Display Properties, there is a list all modes button, maybe try some of those, sometimes it's no standard or detected right as neil9000 said.

My cut LCD is 1280x360, but the only way I get a picture is choosing 1280x720@68 MHz

17 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I have added 1920x360x60, which it is now running at in Safe Mode.  I will try other combinations as well.

13 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

When you are in Display Properties, there is a list all modes button, maybe try some of those, sometimes it's no standard or detected right as neil9000 said.

My cut LCD is 1280x360, but the only way I get a picture is choosing 1280x720@68 MHz

Did your cut LCD get detected by Windows prior to choosing that resolution?

4 minutes ago, Rsmith3533 said:

Did your cut LCD get detected by Windows prior to choosing that resolution?

Not until I used a different HDMI cable.

I've seen this issue with other devices as well. HDMI cable is labelled as specific HDMI level, but there are quality differences and some devices it has mattered. 

3 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Not until I used a different HDMI cable.

I've seen this issue with other devices as well. HDMI cable is labelled as specific HDMI level, but there are quality differences and some devices it has mattered. 

Do you think that would matter even if the current cable is working under Safe Mode?  Worth a shot at least - thanks

5 minutes ago, Rsmith3533 said:

Do you think that would matter even if the current cable is working under Safe Mode?  Worth a shot at least - thanks

In safe mode the specific display driver isn't used so it could be a different HDMI level with the generic driver, but I don't know for sure.

If you have any other HDMI cables around you can test, wouldn't hurt to try.

12 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

In safe mode the specific display driver isn't used so it could be a different HDMI level with the generic driver, but I don't know for sure.

If you have any other HDMI cables around you can test, wouldn't hurt to try.

Tried different HDMI cable, no change.  Messing with custom resolution settings now.

1 minute ago, Rsmith3533 said:

Tried different HDMI cable, no change.  Messing with custom resolution settings now.

Even without the right resolution and timings, it should still see the LCD, hence why I thought it might be a cable issue. 

When you attach to your PI, can you check the resolution and timings there?

1 minute ago, Headrush69 said:

Even without the right resolution and timings, it should still see the LCD, hence why I thought it might be a cable issue. 

When you attach to your PI, can you check the resolution and timings there?

It's kind of a blurry mess connected to the Pi, but I can look into that as well