LaunchBox Community Forums

PC BOX ART MAKES NO SENSE.

Nikorasu081

I understand that PC games used to be distributed on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM. What doesn't make sense now is a lot of modern games on the LaunchBox DB is still using PC Box Art with "DVD-ROM" in the title. This makes no logical sense and it really bothers me. The box art would look cleaner without "DVD-ROM" in the title.

Edited by Nikorasu081

53 minutes ago, Nikorasu081 said:

I understand that PC games used to be distributed on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM. What doesn't make sense now is a lot of modern games on the LaunchBox DB is still using PC Box Art with "DVD-ROM" in the title. This makes no logical sense and it really bothers me. The box art would look cleaner with without "DVD-ROM" in the title.

Having dvd-rom in the title really bothers you ? LOL ?

There are plenty of options when downloading box art from Launchbox, like Fan-Art / Reconstructed. You can choose what you like best and if there's not the type you're looking for, then you can either submit or request one (in the forum's media sections there are a lot of wizards doing magical stuff with game media artwork).

By the way, there still are physical (launch) releases for PC/Windows, even if very limited. Not long ago for example, Terminator Resistance:  https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/images/122696

Box Art images in the DB are official release box art, if they have DVD-ROM on the release box, then it belongs in the image. I personally don't like those images for my collection either so I use Steam Posters or images I can find on SteamGridDB.

10 hours ago, zugswang said:

Having dvd-rom in the title really bothers you ? LOL ?

Yes totally. It requires me to search for an alternative box art on Google-images. I prefer minimalistic box art with no labels at all other than ESRB and the Studio that made it, such as the one below.
Batman-Arkham-Knight-01.jpg

1 minute ago, Nikorasu081 said:

Yes totally. It requires me to search for an alternative box art on Google-images. I prefer minimalistic box art with no labels at all other than ESRB and the Studio that made it, such as the one below.
Batman-Arkham-Knight-01.jpg

Id rather images in the database with DVD-ROM on them than no images at all. 

4 hours ago, kurzih said:

There are plenty of options when downloading box art from Launchbox, like Fan-Art / Reconstructed. You can choose what you like best and if there's not the type you're looking for, then you can either submit or request one (in the forum's media sections there are a lot of wizards doing magical stuff with game media artwork).

By the way, there still are physical (launch) releases for PC/Windows, even if very limited. Not long ago for example, Terminator Resistance:  https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/images/122696

Yes, but it's still a digital copy. Within the box contains a serial, thus having DVD-ROM on the box wouldn't make sense.

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Id rather images in the database with DVD-ROM on them than no images at all. 

True, but if you were like me you'd like things clean, consistent, and logical. I'm planning to redo all the boxart that was downloaded from Launchbox Games DB for games that were never actually on DVD-ROM.