LaunchBox Community Forums

RGB button colors

I just installed a set of Ultimarc's GoldLeaf RGB Illuminated Pushbuttons with black caps. I'm curious if anyone else has used these buttons and is getting the same coloring issues I'm having. My white is showing as more of a teal/blue color, especially compared to my trackball and non-RGB buttons. Everything is attached to an IPAC ultimate. Hopefully the attached picture will show what I mean. 

20200708_183347.jpg

I don't have the black caps, but the same buttons otherwise. I do see the same slight teal on some of the buttons when on white.

Out of 20 buttons, about 16 show that hue while only 4 are pure white. My trackball never gets that white either, but it could be the ball I have. I remember there was 2 transparent options when I bought it.

(Luckily it's not an issue since I don't like the look of white buttons and use different colors, even if the original machine had them.) :)

25 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

I don't have the black caps, but the same buttons otherwise. I do see the same slight teal on some of the buttons when on white.

Out of 20 buttons, about 16 show that hue while only 4 are pure white. My trackball never gets that white either, but it could be the ball I have. I remember there was 2 transparent options when I bought it.

(Luckily it's not an issue since I don't like the look of white buttons and use different colors, even if the original machine had them.) :)

Thanks for the reply. I usually don't care for the white buttons either but in some games I do. My trackball is a transparent white on its own, so I imagine that will make a difference. Red, blue, and green colors are spot on but anything beyond those is usually off. I can't get a true orange or yellow either. I've reached out Andy at Ultimarc but haven't gotten a response yet. Not a real big deal, just thought it was odd compared to other buttons I've seen. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gimpy said:

Have you got the extra voltage option enabled in the Winipac settings? It may be that the buttons need a higher voltage. My credit buttons require a higher voltage and if i don’t have that enabled in WinIPAC they just sort of light a dull almost greyish colour 

Thanks Gimpy. I did try enabling that option, but unfortunately there wasn't any difference. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2020 at 8:50 PM, Rsmith3533 said:

My trackball is a transparent white on its own, so I imagine that will make a difference. Red, blue, and green colors are spot on but anything beyond those is usually off. I can't get a true orange or yellow either.

I think my is called the translucent color. I can get those other colors OK, I just can't get a pure white. I guess it's a trade off depending on the material used.

6 hours ago, kotakid94 said:

I am in the process of designing my cabinet and was going to use those buttons so I am hoping it is just a problem that can be fixed and not a design flaw.

I never got the problem solved, I still have the teal color for white. I reached out to Andy at Ultimarc but never got a response. 

1 hour ago, Headrush69 said:

I think my is called the translucent color. I can get those other colors OK, I just can't get a pure white. I guess it's a trade off depending on the material used. 

I guess mine would be considered translucent also, not transparent, but I do get a true white out of it. 

• 5 months later...

I have 42 buttons just purchased in Dec. I am not seeing the valence in the white that you are seeing. These buttons aren't as bright as others but it was a trade off for the gold leaf switches. I had one go bad during installation but it was a wire pulled loose which is fixable. The handles on the servo sticks are definitely not as bright and have a magenta hue to the white. The trackball is not a bright white but it stills good and love that I can change the color scheme on the fly. Will upload pictures later.

On 9/10/2020 at 8:15 PM, Rsmith3533 said:

I wish I could figure out what the problem is - it doesn't seem to be a common issue I guess. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your buttons are RGB so they combine red blue and green to create white. Your trackball is white and used a white LED to create white. If you want RGB buttons that are true white you will need either RGBW or RGBWW LEDs, which contain a dedicated white LED. RGBWW contain two dedicated white LEDs, one warm and one cool, allowing even greater control over the white color. 

5 hours ago, OhBoy said:

Your buttons are RGB so they combine red blue and green to create white. Your trackball is white and used a white LED to create white. If you want RGB buttons that are true white you will need either RGBW or RGBWW LEDs, which contain a dedicated white LED. RGBWW contain two dedicated white LEDs, one warm and one cool, allowing even greater control over the white color. 

I appreciate the explanation, however this is not entirely true in my case. The lighting kit for my trackball does not have a dedicated white LED. I even purchased a 2nd identical one and once installed, it produced the same results. I also installed 2 RGB illuminated joystick handles, and they produce a color closer to white than all my other RGB's. I've attached 2 photos showing how white the trackball used to be, and what it currently is. I've reached out to Andy at Ultimarc, however he didn't really have an explanation other than it could be software related. 

20200708_183347.thumb.jpg.a564c2aa824dd713b5fc67c3b320f5e7(1).jpg

20220219_150325.jpg

Just now, Rsmith3533 said:

Yes I'm sure. I replaced it with a new unit just in case, same result. 

With LB off, can you properly get the white using the LEDBlinky software alone? Just trying to isolate whether it's LB or something in LEDBlinky. If you backup and than replace the LEDBlinky config files as original, does the problem disappear.

Turning on debugging should also tell us what information is being used to set the colors and where it's coming from.