LaunchBox Community Forums

Excluding ".nkit" from Game Title during import (Wii/GCZ)

Deam

I was attempting to compress a portion of my existing Wii and GC collection using Nkit, which results in files with the extention .nkit.gcz

On import, Launchbox keeps the .nkit in the name so while it gets game images no other metadata is scrapped and the .nkit is left in the game title.

Short of renaming the hundreds of files (and I'm concerned that may impact the reconversion if necessary in the future), is there a way to specify that the .nkit in the name gets ignored during the impart?

here is the fast thing you can do to fix the issue.

1 remove the game from Launchbox

2 download bulk rename utility

3 edit out all the .nkit from the file name in one quick go using the rename tool

4 reimport renamed games to LB

In BRU you will use the replace field you will type ,nkit in there (leaving the with field blank) and then use ctrl+a to select all the game then run the process.

Thanks, Dos76.  

I had given up and realized you can easily bulk change / rename extensions simply using Windows power shell (which I tested).

Nkit is new to me, but I figured I could just rename them back if necessary in the future.

5 hours ago, DOS76 said:

yeah a powershell solution would work too but something a little beyond what I would suggest for support as you never know the level of computer knowledge the person asking has.

I don't disagree.  I'm comfortable with command line, but one wrong letter or word could cause trouble! Thanks again - I should've put this in the "noob" section rather than tech support.

• 3 years later...
On 7/30/2020 at 4:08 PM, DOS76 said:

here is the fast thing you can do to fix the issue.

1 remove the game from Launchbox

2 download bulk rename utility

3 edit out all the .nkit from the file name in one quick go using the rename tool

4 reimport renamed games to LB

In BRU you will use the replace field you will type ,nkit in there (leaving the with field blank) and then use ctrl+a to select all the game then run the process.

But what if you need the "nkit" in the file name?

Is there a way to include it without causing the metadata scraping to fail (maybe putting it in brackets or other special wrappers)?

I'm just setting up Wii games for the first time...and have a large number of games with ".nkit.iso" in the file names. Then I have others that are normal ".iso" files.

I'd like to keep the Nkit games in their compressed formats for the space savings. But I don't know which specific games would cause problems (that Dolphin emulator warns might happen).

It would be too confusing if I get an Nkit-realted error, but the file name only has ISO.

Edited by FamShoppa