LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving launchbox to new PC

twobucks

I am upgrading my launchbox windows PC to a new build and wanted to know the best way to move launchbox 11.2 onto a new PC?  I was thinking I would install the same version of launchbox on the target PC and just copy the entire launchbox folder over to the new PC. All my emulators, games, and roms (not in the launchbox folder) were copied exactly the same onto the new computer maintaining the same file paths. Does anybody with experience see any issues with this?

I want to make sure all my custom themes, settings, images, etc are maintained exactly the way i have it setup on the old PC.

Thanks

No need to reinstall LaunchBox on the new computer.  Just copy your existing one in its' entirety. 

And if everything (LaunchBox and you emulators, respectively) are keeping the same drive letter and folder structure, you're good to go.

The only potential issue is with the emulators.  If they're not "portable", they'll probably need to be reinstalled.  (i.e. some try to store stuff in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\emulatorName\...)

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, JoeViking245 said:

No need to reinstall LaunchBox on the new computer.  Just copy your existing one in its' entirety. 

And if everything (LaunchBox and you emulators, respectively) are keeping the same drive letter and folder structure, you're good to go.

The only potential issue is with the emulators.  If they're not "portable", they'll probably need to be reinstalled.  (i.e. some try to store stuff in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\emulatorName\...)

Most of the emulators install files on the C drive. On your new computer those files are not there and you will basically be starting from scratch like I am doing right now.

5 minutes ago, mangomango said:

Most of the emulators install files on the C drive. On your new computer those files are not there and you will basically be starting from scratch like I am doing right now.

Not true, most emulators actually dont put anything in your documents folder, and even some of the ones that do can be told not to quite easily.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Not true, most emulators actually dont put anything in your documents folder, and even some of the ones that do can be told not to quite easily.

They can be told not to, but when you already have everything setup up, you cant go back and change it. I should have thought ahead.