LaunchBox Community Forums

Does no-intro have dat files for gamecube and dreamcast?

CitznFish

1 hour ago, TheMadMan007 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do .dat files do exactly?

Basically it's just a list and checksum of all the roms/images for that system.

So if you're trying to build a complete set of all roms, you'd use that file and a management application like ClrMamePro or RomCenter and it would check what you have and do other things like rename to proper name, remove duplicates, things like that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheMadMan007 said:

Ah ok, that makes sense. I already do that anyways without a dat file. I've never liked ClrMamePro or RomCenter's way of handeling games and renaming. It's honestly just easier for me to do it myself. Thanks for the info though, I figured it had to do with auditing or something like that.

Those programs don't decide on the naming, it's the dat file itself. You can find all kinds of specialized or altered dat files. You can even make your own dat file using tools like dir2dat.

I don't use them anymore and just keep the games I like/want manually like you. Wasted too much time keeping sets up to date rather than just enjoying using them, The only complete set I maintain is the MAME set, and I simply just let the bittorrent client keep it updated rather than using a rom manager.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 5:10 PM, Headrush69 said:

Those programs don't decide on the naming, it's the dat file itself. You can find all kinds of specialized or altered dat files. You can even make your own dat file using tools like dir2dat.

I don't use them anymore and just keep the games I like/want manually like you. Wasted too much time keeping sets up to date rather than just enjoying using them, The only complete set I maintain is the MAME set, and I simply just let the bittorrent client keep it updated rather than using a rom manager.

I've got to figure out that but totient method for mame.