LaunchBox Community Forums

game wheel errors since 11.5 using the unified theme

Danabis

it appears to default to a factory theme when this error pops up.  while in that game wheel it will work after you close this error message but the unified theme no longer works after you enter a game wheel or category. I was really hoping to find a solution to keep the unified theme working since I like it much better than all the other themes.

I like the unified theme so much I would pursue downgrading or reinstalling 11.4 to get it back and just never upgrade again.

I hope I am not the only one who is experiencing this or feels this way.

4 minutes ago, Danabis said:

it appears to default to a factory theme when this error pops up.  while in that game wheel it will work after you close this error message but the unified theme no longer works after you enter a game wheel or category. I was really hoping to find a solution to keep the unified theme working since I like it much better than all the other themes.

I like the unified theme so much I would pursue downgrading or reinstalling 11.4 to get it back and just never upgrade again.

I hope I am not the only one who is experiencing this or feels this way.

That wasnt the question though. You were asked if other themes also error so we can identify if its just this theme with a issue. Can you try the Unified Redux theme at least, its a slight mod of Unified, does that give the same error?

The error refers to quotes in the XML if I am following along correctly. Would it be possible to backup these files and edit the errors called out here on the lines mentioned? I am a long time user of this software. Would it be possible that is a factor as well? I do not recall which version of bigbox I started with but I have had the same install since before version 9 and perhaps even further. I am also using the new playlist sub categories introduced a while back where you have all games favorites region ect. The unified theme will work up to the point you enter a section that includes games. For example I could browse lets say the nintendo category and sub categories but after clicking all games where you would expect the list of games to appear you will instead get this error.  I have a few custom made playlists with no sub categories that immediately error once the game wheel is loaded. I know that may seem obvious by the error. I hope I am describing this clearly just tossing out some ideas and looking for some guidance.

One other interesting phenomenon I noticed is the shortcuts I pinned in the windows 10 start menu for bigbox and launchbox disappeared after this update. The normal shortcut applied in the app list are there I am just referring to the shortcuts manually created into the windows tiles section when using the pin to start option. Obviously I can add those back just thought it was odd behavior considering how many previous upgrades to bigbox I have applied with no issue. I have no other missing icons or malfunctioning software that I am aware of. Functionality inside of launchbox itself is as expected. Just figured I would add that detail incase this is something seen before or provides any clues to the odd behavior seen or perhaps related to any supporting software applied in the update.

Just an update. I did find a fix. I was following along with some of the other errors mentioned In other topics here. I did notice a few graphic anomalies along with my errors. I may try to troubleshoot this more later but I found downgrading to 11.2 cures all my issues with unified theme. 

For now I am just disabling updates. This is great community and I do love the software despite the recent trouble. Thanks again for all the help and if I find any other solutions I will share. You guys are top notch and thanks for helping me out.

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, JKWILL01 said:

Danabis how did you revert back to 11.2 i bought and downloaded big box for the first time, and have used the free version for years but as soon as i paid i'm having this issue i cannot install any theme except the default.

What theme are you trying to use? Did you download it from the BigBox UI or from the forum? If from the forum where did you place it (folder location) and did you unzip the file properly (is it in the correctly named folder and did the dll get unblocked)? 

Danabis how did you revert back to 11.2 i bought and downloaded big box for the first time, and have used the free version for years but as soon as i paid i'm having this issue i cannot install any theme except the default.

Yes i did download it from the ui and i do not know how to unblock the dll i'm new to bigbox. Can you please go step by step of what i should do please? Thank You so so much.