LaunchBox Community Forums

Complete delete for multiple games

starfiretbt

When I downloaded M.A.M.E. I downloaded one of those multi packs that was, if I remember correctly, about 40-60 Gigabytes in size and contained around 4,000 games, most junk games. I would like to select multiple games and delete them not just from LB but also from my computer. As it stands I have to individually 1. select a game I don't want 2. Open file location 3. find the file as listed in LB 4. delete the game from LB and 5. delete the file from my computer. This is going to be a lot of work for 4,000 games and I would much rather just 1. select multiple games and 2. delete them from LB and my computer instead of having to search for the file it is running from, especially since the files are in folders with weird codes for names.

It almost seems easier to select just the games I want, move them into another folder, delete the original folder, and kick myself for downloading this insanely huge variety pack instead of just downloading the individual game roms.

LaunchBox has an option to physically delete the file from your computer when you delete it in LaunchBox.
The last time I tried it out it only deleted the file that LaunchBox was aware of (pointed to launch), so any game which used a working rom and a CHD only had the working rom deleted with the much larger CHD left.
Also, any previously played games will have other unwanted items such as cfg, nvram and CHD diff files left behind.

3 minutes ago, starfiretbt said:

So it sounds like it would be easier to just move the games I want, which is just a handful, and delete the whole folder with the rest. By the way how do I set the delete option for a complete delete? I don't see it in tools or options.

You have to be careful with Mame and what you delete. Depending on what rom set type you have you cannot always just keep the game file and delete everything else. Some mame roms require a bios, device file or a chd (CHD are usually separate from Mame rom sets). For example if you wanted to keep Samurai Shodown but did not keep the NeoGeo.zip the game would not work. So knowing what Mame rom set type you have would determine how or what you can delete. From the looks of the GB size you posted it is either a split or a merged set.

It's a merged set, what if I just make a list of the few games I like and download them separately and put them in another folder because right now I have thousands of games with lots of them looking like garbage. By the way, LB wanted to update today and I think my Norton anti-virus just removed a file called bigbox.ll something, did I lose something important? It looks like big box isn't working anymore.

Just now, starfiretbt said:

It's a merged set, what if I just make a list of the few games I like and download them separately and put them in another folder because right now I have thousands of games with lots of them looking like garbage. By the way, LB wanted to update today and I think my Norton anti-virus just removed a file called bigbox.ll something, did I lose something important? It looks like big box isn't working anymore.

A merged set will have many different versions of games in the same zip for example all  the different regions and revisions, so you cant just delete the Japanese rom for example as its in the same zip as the US rom.

As for the dll, yes that is very important, you need to tell Norton to return it, or better yet not use norton at all.

I tried but Norton scared me by calling it a specific malware virus, The only reason I have Norton is because it's free with Comcast. Is there a way to redownload any launchbox files that Norton might have taken? I just updated MAME so I know how to take a folder and copy it's contents into another folder, copying over any files already there and adding any files missing. Do I need to submit a receipt for BigBox and Premium? I should have both.

11 minutes ago, starfiretbt said:

I tried but Norton scared me by calling it a specific malware virus, The only reason I have Norton is because it's free with Comcast. Is there a way to redownload any launchbox files that Norton might have taken? I just updated MAME so I know how to take a folder and copy it's contents into another folder, copying over any files already there and adding any files missing. Do I need to submit a receipt for BigBox and Premium? I should have both.

You can just go to your Launchbox/Updates folder and manually re-run the installer. Id recommend excluding the Launchbox folder from Norton first otherwise its just gonna go ahead and remove the files again.