LaunchBox Community Forums

Convert SEGA Dreamcasat CDI to CHD?

Zeaede

6 minutes ago, Zeaede said:

According to this file you can convert cdi to chd with SEGA Dreamcast

I have the files that can be seen in the video

But when i try the same i always get an error input

Dunno what i do wrong, why it dosen't work?

Anyone else tried it?

Try this, just put the two files in your game folder and run the .bat.

chd_batfile-20200927T131941Z-001.zip

What is the error you get?

Also, I have had lots of cdi images that did not convert or were bad quality. The quality of the cdi image depends on the ripper and they often do things like downgrade audio to fit on a standard CD-R size image.

On the other hand, I've had almost perfect success rate with gdi and cue/bin images. (Which are a perfect copy of the original media)

I would suggest trying to source a different image for the best outcome.

Edited by Headrush69

• 1 month later...

This particular cdifile tool seems to have been made for Philips CD-i images so maybe not surprising it doesn't work properly with Dreamcast. Been trying a bunch of different stuff but so far haven't found any way to make the resulting converted files playable. GDI or CUE/BIN is not an option with translated/patched games that are CDI, but they are pretty few so I guess one just has to live with those being different.

• 1 year later...

Dear @Zeaede

cdifile.exe is compatible with chdman up to version 0.138 (included). From version 0.139 up to 0.145, you'll get this error message: "ERROR Unknown track type [].  Contact MAMEDEV.". And from version 0.146 up to latest one (0.240), you'll get this other error message: "Error running chdman!".

So, to sum up: use cdifile.exe along with chdman.exe from MAME 0.138 or below (I haven't tried chdman prior version 0.109).

The command line is:

cdifile "mspacman.cdi" -createcd

Last but not least, one important thing to note: if you use a very old version of chdman (as 0.109), the name of input cdifile must not contain spaces or special characters. But using version 0.138 (latest compatible version), you won't have this issue (provided you write the name between " "). Example:

cdifile "Sonic Adventure 2 (USA)[DCRES].cdi" -createcd

(that command will run just fine with cdifile v0.5.1 and chdman v0.138, all in the same folder; but if you use chdman 0.109 instead, it won't)

Any other doubt, just reply!

Regards,

Gabriel

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...