LaunchBox Community Forums

Videos in BigBox have no sound with VLC selected in 11.7

StickySweater

Videos in Big Box (whether they be platform videos or game videos) play no sound for me in the latest version. I checked my settings and they are the same as before the update. Big Box interface sounds work normally and mp3 audio tracks work as well, it's just videos which no longer are playing sound. I believe this is a problem with VLC since Windows Media Player works when switched to in options.

Just to preempt some questions, here are some things I've checked:

• Switching to Windows Media Player works, but for various reasons, I want to use VLC.
  • Yes, video sound is at 100%. 
  • System sound is at normal levels (as mentioned BigBox interface sounds and MP3 tracks work normally).
  • Rolling back to 11.6 fixes the problem, but not an ideal solution since I will want updates eventually.
  • I deleted the ThirdParty/VLC folder and reinstalled LB 11.7. Issue persists.
  • Edit: When running ThirdParty/VLC/x64/VLC.exe, everything works normally. It can play videos with sound.
  • Edit: Tried changing themes. No change.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by StickySweater

35 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Try... Options,  Sound, and uncheck Prioritize Soundtrack Music over Video Audio (uncheck vs what's shown)

This did work at restoring the video sound. Though its not perfect. I preferred the way it worked in 11.6 and prior where I could have custom music playing over the video. Seems like a bug to not allow this.

Update: I entered this as a bug here: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/5699/videos-in-bigbox-have-no-sound-with-vlc

Edited by StickySweater

Ok, thanks, but this is only happening to two people here?.I mean, can I change anything more in my config to fix this?.

Inside Big Box I can choose videos oppening with Windows media player and its working perfect, then I also think that the problem is with Vlc, and I prefer to use this program.If I change to a different version of Vlc its gonna be working?, I dont want to touch many things to 3rd party programs and break something bigger in Big Box.

Thank you!.

Yes, this issue is happening to me as well. I was just going to post about it! :)

This issue occurs when I have sound files named per game in the Launchbox\Music\Arcade folder and have the Prioritize Soundtrack Music checkbox checked in Sounds settings. Sound from the videos will not play at all if there is no corresponding file for the particular game in the folder mentioned above. I'd like the video sound to play but only if there is no corresponding sound file for that particular game.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys were right! Beta fixed the sound concern. However it’s been 3 years since I set up bigbox. Can anyone direct me to how to set those same platform videos to normal screen brightness.  My platform wheel is bright and the videos are faded in the background and can’t see them at all. I’m currently running beta 11.8 beta 4. 

thanks