LaunchBox Community Forums

Playing Softwarelist games from MAME

ThomasOEM

All softlists used in MAME will require a Default Command Line Parameter.  And  they're all different.  For the NES it's "nes -cart".  Some will also require a BIOS file and some, 1 or more device files.  NES (I believe) doesn't require any 'extra' files.

Are these other systems working when ran from inside MAME itself?

• Like 1

@ThomasOEM

I assume you were over at PD asking this. This is one of those platforms that requires a checkbox checked versus what is in the Arcade setup. So make an additional MAME emulator entry. I called mine "MAME_MESS" but you can call whatever. 

Capture5.thumb.JPG.e78b5ca4f4c5c4d9c49ed8277aab5762.JPG

Then under that emulator, check the box "Use file name only..."  Note this isn't checked in the normal MAME arcade setup.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.1f22761501e0c55ac05cf628b2120726.JPGExample with 1942 game in software list for NES

Capture54.thumb.JPG.48edabcd628ab7dcea25589165310f09.JPG

Then for NES platform input the nes -cart setting like normal (this is platforms only for my "MAME_MESS" emulator:

Capture55.thumb.JPG.468bf1da369a21f13cf15a55db17e1c6.JPGBasically, one "MAME" version for those that require "Use file name only...." checked and others that don't.

Edited by sundogak
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sundogak said:

@ThomasOEM

I assume you were over at PD asking this. This is one of those platforms that requires a checkbox checked versus what is in the Arcade setup. So make an additional MAME emulator entry. I called mine "MAME_MESS" but you can call whatever. 

Capture5.thumb.JPG.e78b5ca4f4c5c4d9c49ed8277aab5762.JPG

Then under that emulator, check the box "Use file name only..."  Note this isn't checked in the normal MAME arcade setup.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.1f22761501e0c55ac05cf628b2120726.JPGExample with 1942 game in software list for NES

Capture54.thumb.JPG.48edabcd628ab7dcea25589165310f09.JPG

Then for NES platform input the nes -cart setting like normal (this is platforms only for my "MAME_MESS" emulator:

Capture55.thumb.JPG.468bf1da369a21f13cf15a55db17e1c6.JPGBasically, one "MAME" version for those that require "Use file name only...." checked and others that don't.

AH YEEEEEES!!!! IT ALIVE!!! IIIIIITS ALIVE! 

Thank you SOOO much, I have been waiting after years of trying (on and off)!!! You saved my week!

Regarding which Platform works in what way i Launchbox, is there a list where you can see which platforms requires what checkmarks in settings and Application Command-line Parameters?

Again thank you SOO much Sundogak!

@ThomasOEM If you are speaking about MAME software list there are a few threads running around on LB if do a search. This website (click "All Systems" button at left and then look under Name column) has comprehensive list of what you put in for the "name" in the Default Command-Line Parameters along with any options (usually computer based emulation) as well as media type name (for those that have multiple like cassettes, floppies).  But in general, software lists work similarly in either one of two setups mentioned (i.e., with the "use file name only..." checked or not checked.  Most I have encountered work with same settings as MAME arcade (no check boxes).

As Neil9000 mentioned, for most part I don't use MAME for anything other than arcade and a few "oddball" platforms where there are no emulators or working Retroarch cores.  As LB currently is setup, software list import is not the easiest and for cart based systems (or CD) I found easier to Retroarch or standalone dedicated emulator versus MAME.  But in MAME, SNK Neo Geo AES is the only other one that wouldn't work using arcade setup.  A few examples I have that run via normal MAME arcade setup:Capture.thumb.JPG.eb19d327e1ed80f31404442e4c71203a.JPGFor computer based emulation in MAME where you have floppies (like Apple II or Atari 800) I have found that can use either (with the box checked or no). When used without the media type (i.e., flop1) and the "Use file name only.." checked  if there are multiple floppy images in the zipfile, then MAME will auto load the floppies into appropriate slots (i.e., flop1, flop2). It uses the HASH file information to tell it how to load things, which is handy.

Edited by sundogak
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, sundogak said:

@ThomasOEM If you are speaking about MAME software list there are a few threads running around on LB if do a search. This website (click "All Systems" button at left and then look under Name column) has comprehensive list of what you put in for the "name" in the Default Command-Line Parameters along with any options (usually computer based emulation) as well as media type name (for those that have multiple like cassettes, floppies).  But in general, software lists work similarly in either one of two setups mentioned (i.e., with the "use file name only..." checked or not checked.  Most I have encountered work with same settings as MAME arcade (no check boxes).

As Neil9000 mentioned, for most part I don't use MAME for anything other than arcade and a few "oddball" platforms where there are no emulators or working Retroarch cores.  As LB currently is setup, software list import is not the easiest and for cart based systems (or CD) I found easier to Retroarch or standalone dedicated emulator versus MAME.  But in MAME, SNK Neo Geo AES is the only other one that wouldn't work using arcade setup.  A few examples I have that run via normal MAME arcade setup:Capture.thumb.JPG.eb19d327e1ed80f31404442e4c71203a.JPGFor computer based emulation in MAME where you have floppies (like Apple II or Atari 800) I have found that can use either (with the box checked or no). When used without the media type (i.e., flop1) and the "Use file name only.." checked  if there are multiple floppy images in the zipfile, then MAME will auto load the floppies into appropriate slots (i.e., flop1, flop2). It uses the HASH file information to tell it how to load things, which is handy.

Ah ok, thank you for the clarification regarding the emulators and the commandline-parameters.

The reason why I use the MAME64 emulator, is that it was suggested to me and since I use the merged rom set.. but is emulators such as Retroarch faster and better, or just easier to set up?

Regarding the Commodore 64, I load the cassettes just fine by inserting the "c64 -cass" commandline. But when the rom runs, I get to the blue prompt screen where you used to type in "Run" to start the game... but is there a command to get the rom loaded and then afterwards to the the MAME64 emulator to "run" the game?

If after it loads, all you need to do is type "run" and press Enter to get it to start, you can try the Default Command-Line Parameter for that Platform...

c64 -autoboot_delay "2" -autoboot_command "run\n" -cass

(not tested)

MAME loads the 'game'.   Then "-autoboot_delay" tells it to wait "2" seconds.  Then after those 2 seconds, "-autoboot_command" tells MAME to type in "run" and then press Enter ("\n").

You may need to increase the delay time ("2").  Depends on how long it takes to get to the "blue prompt screen".

2 hours ago, ThomasOEM said:

you used to type in "Run" to start the game

You sure?  Morbid curiosity got and had to check it out  (c64_cass).  Ended up using

c64 -autoboot_delay "2" -autoboot_command "load\n" -cass

Then press {Scroll Lock} to enable the Keyboard - Partial Emulation, then press {F2} to "Play" the tape.

You can bypass needing to press {Scroll Lock} by adding  "-ui_active"

c64 -autoboot_delay "2" -autoboot_command "load\n" -ui_active -cass

But you can't bypass the need to press {F2}.  Unfortunately.

BTW, "3D Pinball".... {F1} starts the game,  Left flipper is {Left-Alt}, Right flipper is {right-Control}, and {F4} launches the ball. :D