LaunchBox Community Forums

download managers

A Retro guy

14 hours ago, A Retro guy said:

I just recently heard of these things called download managers that can apperently make downloads faster so i just want to know what are the best, safe, and free download managers out there for me to use so that i can download my roms faster.

IDM is the best, but unfortunately not everything in life is free.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:35 PM, A Retro guy said:

I just recently heard of these things called download managers that can apperently make downloads faster

Well thats not true, easier and more optimized, maybe, but nothing can make the connection to your house any faster than it currently is.

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Well thats not true, easier and more optimized, maybe, but nothing can make the connection to your house any faster than it currently is.

I disagree.

Leaving downloads to just run normally through browser is much slower than using IDM for example.

It is also better to manage your files, but also much faster.

5 hours ago, zugswang said:

I disagree.

Leaving downloads to just run normally through browser is much slower than using IDM for example.

It is also better to manage your files, but also much faster.

Well, I believe what Neil is getting at is no matter how many connections and chunks a download manager is sending in your download you still only have X bandwidth with your provider so you can not download faster than what that can max out at. 

6 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Well, I believe what Neil is getting at is no matter how many connections and chunks a download manager is sending in your download you still only have X bandwidth with your provider so you can not download faster than what that can max out at. 

If the browsers download was running at full speed you would be correct, but the don't always do that.

I am only going by files i try to download without IDM and they are snail paced in comparison, running it through the browsers own downloader.

Once it's taken over by IDM, it's much faster.

Maybe it's just me. I have used it for years and it's good for me.

Cant say i have ever had my browser not max out my connection, unless its a server/website that limits bandwidth to free users, in which case those usually limit the ip to one connection at a time, so a download manager wouldnt make that faster either. My point stands though, there is a physical limit on your download speed that is based on your wiring and route to the nearest exchange as well as the route taken. There is nothing you can do to make your internet actually faster with software, its a hardware limit. Downloaders can help by breaking a file into chunks and downloading more than one chunk at a time (much like what torrents do) but that just means if you are downloading two chunks instead of one then both those chunks are downloading twice as slow as normal, as you cannot download faster than what your connection is.

Also if the actual download client is telling you that you are getting faster speeds id take that with a grain of salt, a massive grain of salt if it says its faster than what your isp says it is actually supplying you, its not unknown for software to shall we say "exaggerate" how good it is.

54 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Cant say i have ever had my browser not max out my connection, unless its a server/website that limits bandwidth to free users, in which case those usually limit the ip to one connection at a time, so a download manager wouldnt make that faster either. My point stands though, there is a physical limit on your download speed that is based on your wiring and route to the nearest exchange as well as the route taken. There is nothing you can do to make your internet actually faster with software, its a hardware limit. Downloaders can help by breaking a file into chunks and downloading more than one chunk at a time (much like what torrents do) but that just means if you are downloading two chunks instead of one then both those chunks are downloading twice as slow as normal, as you cannot download faster than what your connection is.

Also if the actual download client is telling you that you are getting faster speeds id take that with a grain of salt, a massive grain of salt if it says its faster than what your isp says it is actually supplying you, its not unknown for software to shall we say "exaggerate" how good it is.

This obviously means a lot to you, so I took time out to do a small test.

I just done a 200mb test file using browser then IDM.

The browser took 37 seconds and IDM took 30 seconds.

Doesn't seem like a big difference, until you try to download a file like Flashpoint 9.0 (478gb) that I downloaded yesterday. IDM took hours off that download for me.

PS,

I used a stopwatch on my phone to do the test, so unless that time is "exaggerated" too , then I am going to assume that I am right so I will continue to use IDM

58 minutes ago, zugswang said:

This obviously means a lot to you, so I took time out to do a small test.

I couldnt care less personally, im just making sure someone has all the facts before they blindly spend money on what i would call snake oil. If it works for you then thats fine, but outright stating it makes your internet faster i find misleading at best, and a outright lie at worst. As i said though if you are happy with it thats great, a disagreeing opinion doesnt mean your opinion is wrong, just that i disagree. I have tried several download managers over the years, and the only benefit i see in using them is for resuming downloads that stop, they are never any faster, but as i say downloads through my browser maxes out my internet anyway, so i cant physically download any faster, software is not going to magically make my internet connection better than what it is.

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I couldnt care less personally, im just making sure someone has all the facts before they blindly spend money on what i would call snake oil. If it works for you then thats fine, but outright stating it makes your internet faster i find misleading at best, and a outright lie at worst. As i said though if you are happy with it thats great, a disagreeing opinion doesnt mean your opinion is wrong, just that i disagree. I have tried several download managers over the years, and the only benefit i see in using them is for resuming downloads that stop, they are never any faster, but as i say downloads through my browser maxes out my internet anyway, so i cant physically download any faster, software is not going to magically make my internet connection better than what it is.

ok. i didnt think you, retro, and zugswang wolud spend a bit more talking about if download managers are actullay worth it but all of you have fair points. maybe i will think about getting a download manager some other time maybe, but for now i wont get one.

17 hours ago, A Retro guy said:

ok. i didnt think you, retro, and zugswang wolud spend a bit more talking about if download managers are actullay worth it but all of you have fair points. maybe i will think about getting a download manager some other time maybe, but for now i wont get one.

LOL ??

Glad to see that real evidence that it's faster made you decide NOT to get one !

18 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Says the one who actually took a stopwatch to time a download???? ?

FACTS are FACTS, (or used to be once upon a time)

I will get my stopwatch checked, as it must be faulty ! ?

PS, I couldn't have cared less if they were faster or not ...... BUT I DO NOW !

Here is some info:

IDM would make download faster If the server (where you are downloading the file) is slow.

Because it create multiple thread and try to download simultaneously and combine them later.

There are two cases IDM can make download faster. The server is busy and many are downloading the same file.

5 hours ago, zugswang said:

FACTS are FACTS, (or used to be once upon a time)

I will get my stopwatch checked, as it must be faulty ! ?

PS, I couldn't have cared less if they were faster or not ...... BUT I DO NOW !

Here is some info:

IDM would make download faster If the server (where you are downloading the file) is slow.

Because it create multiple thread and try to download simultaneously and combine them later.

There are two cases IDM can make download faster. The server is busy and many are downloading the same file.

ok zugswang ok i get you can we please stop arguing about this.

• Thanks 1