LaunchBox Community Forums

Doesn't work for me.  I'm using Launchbox 11.4 (premium).  I've extracted both Vidsnap_Scraper.dll and youtube-dl.exe into the folder "Vidsnap Scraper" in \plugins and no joy.  The latest youtube scraper (0.1.9.1?) doesn't work for me either but an old beta does.  However, the Steam Scraper from this forum works perfectly.  Any ideas?

Edited by JoJoJuJu59

11 hours ago, JoJoJuJu59 said:

Doesn't work for me.  I'm using Launchbox 11.4 (premium).  I've extracted both Vidsnap_Scraper.dll and youtube-dl.exe into the folder "Vidsnap Scraper" in \plugins and no joy.

Hi there, sorry to hear it doesn't work for you. Could you try changing the folder name to "Vidsnap_Scraper" (with the underscore) and trying again? i changed this at some stage and forgot to change the writup, apologies.

11 hours ago, JoJoJuJu59 said:

The latest youtube scraper (0.1.9.1?) doesn't work for me either but an old beta does.  However, the Steam Scraper from this forum works perfectly.  Any ideas?

Both of these are made by @srxz and maybe he could shed more light.

I think Youtube Scraper needs an update or something, I think it uses YouTubeSearch library which unfortunately is kinda defunct due to Youtube changing things all the time. Steam Scraper works well for me too.

1 hour ago, maikeru1986 said:

Hi there, sorry to hear it doesn't work for you. Could you try changing the folder name to "Vidsnap_Scraper" (with the underscore) and trying again? i changed this at some stage and forgot to change the writup, apologies.

Both of these are made by @srxz and maybe he could shed more light.

I think Youtube Scraper needs an update or something, I think it uses YouTubeSearch library which unfortunately is kinda defunct due to Youtube changing things all the time. Steam Scraper works well for me too.

Thanks for answering.  Yeah, I changed the folder name and it made no difference.  I get no "Download Video Snap" option when right-clicking on a game. Thx anyway.

Ok so you don't even get the icon/item in the right-click menu? and you do have other working plugins, and there are no errors during LB startup.

Thats right before anything even really starts so not sure what that could be but I will try to look into it for you but.

you're on windows 10? which game are you testing out? platform? Sorry these are all shots in the dark.

Perhaps someone else here could shed some light.

10 minutes ago, maikeru1986 said:

Ok so you don't even get the icon/item in the right-click menu? and you do have other working plugins, and there are no errors during LB startup.

Thats right before anything even really starts so not sure what that could be but I will try to look into it for you but.

you're on windows 10? which game are you testing out? platform? Sorry these are all shots in the dark.

Perhaps someone else here could shed some light.

Nope.  Get nothing related to this scraper upon right-click.  As mentioned earlier, the Steam Scraper shows up on fine on my system (Windows 10 build 1909) so I know at least some plugins can work.  Launchbox version is 11.4.  Tested various games, using the Windows platform & ExoDOS.  I even tried it on two separate installations of LB (both 11.4) and it just won't show up, neither this nor the newest youtube scraper.  Oh well.

Edited by JoJoJuJu59

6 minutes ago, JoJoJuJu59 said:

and it just won't show up, neither this nor the newest youtube scraper.  Oh well.

Thats interesting, thats about the only bits that are the same between the two codes, but I doubt it's that as its pretty standard stuff... perhaps its a .netframework thing?

Anyway, if I think of anything i'll get back to you.

• Like 1

VidSnap Scraper plugin is designed around LaunchBox v11.8.  When [attempting to] load it in LB v11.4, the debug log will show

Could not load file or assembly 'Unbroken.LaunchBox.Plugins, Version=11.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=558191e84f56affc'. The system cannot find the file specified.

At least that's what it looks like to me.  So I think the solution on this one is to update LaunchBox to v11.8.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, maikeru1986 said:

could I change Vidsnap_scraper to be more backwards compatible by lowering .netframework version???

No.  In fact attempting that may actually cause more problems than do good.  

The issue here was the plugin looks for Unbroken.Launchbox.Plugins.dll [v11.8 vs v11.4].  Rightfully so, as that's the current release.  You might be able to compile it with reference to an older Unbroken.Launchbox.Plugins.dll version (say, 11.4).  As I think about it, I haven't updated my plugins in a while and I think they still work.  

I think the answer it to design for [on] the latest stable release and users be updated to the latest stable release.

47 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

No.  In fact attempting that may actually cause more problems than do good.  

The issue here was the plugin looks for Unbroken.Launchbox.Plugins.dll [v11.8 vs v11.4].  Rightfully so, as that's the current release.  You might be able to compile it with reference to an older Unbroken.Launchbox.Plugins.dll version (say, 11.4).  As I think about it, I haven't updated my plugins in a while and I think they still work.  

I think the answer it to design for [on] the latest stable release and users be updated to the latest stable release.

Ah I see. Was just thinking of the people who bought an older version. I guess if there are many requests for it (doubtful) I might look into it, but otherwise I think you're absolutely right.

• Like 1

Yes, that would be great if you could make it more compatible with older builds because I tend to stick with older versions of any software for a long time if I find it runs stable and has the features I like before i'm forced to upgrade (the whole "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing).  But if it's too difficult or too risky to do and there's not enough demand for it I can see that point of view I suppose.  I was just very frustrated because I couldn't get certain scrapers working for months now (though the documentation said they were supported with my versions) because I had an older build of LB - but not that much older, imo - and i'm sure others who tend not to upgrade software they're comfortable with like myself (Windows build 2004 was my most memorable negative experience lol) will discover those same frustrations and issues no doubt.

Edited by JoJoJuJu59

On 12/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, JoJoJuJu59 said:

Yes, that would be great if you could make it more compatible with older builds...

@JoJoJuJu59 Could you try this one with your LB 11.3?

if it works, kudo's to @JoeViking245.

If it doesn't, maybe you could consider updating to 11.8 as it's pretty good imo

Vidsnap_Scraper v0.1.3 Legacy.zip

• Game On 1

2 hours ago, maikeru1986 said:

@JoJoJuJu59 Could you try this one with your LB 11.3?

if it works, kudo's to @JoeViking245.

If it doesn't, maybe you could consider updating to 11.8 as it's pretty good imo

Vidsnap_Scraper v0.1.3 Legacy.zip 6.18 MB · 1 download

The eagle has landed!  It works with 11.4 ? Kudos to both you & @JoeViking245  It's a shame that there isn't a YT-like service catering strictly to older DOS era games since I only get about 20% success rate when scraping for MS-DOS games (was intending to use it with eXoDOS to get those missing video snaps) but your plugin does exactly what it's suppose to do and is excellent with newer games.  I won't use emu movies anymore since they renewed my subscription without authorization so this is a handy little utility  Thx, guys ?

• Game On 1

3 hours ago, JoJoJuJu59 said:

The eagle has landed!  It works with 11.4 ? Kudos to both you & @JoeViking245  It's a shame that there isn't a YT-like service catering strictly to older DOS era games since I only get about 20% success rate when scraping for MS-DOS games (was intending to use it with eXoDOS to get those missing video snaps) 

No problem. Yeah, I intend to implement "search terms" input and some things to increase success rate, maybe have more results and pick the best match (honestly not sure), but unfortunately depends on what YT has. I did intend it for Modern Windows titles as i don't think emu-movies has many (see below).

3 hours ago, JoJoJuJu59 said:

I won't use emu movies anymore since they renewed my subscription without authorization so this is a handy little utility  Thx, guys ?

Yeah, I'm kinda banned from emu-movies but that's completely my fault (created a second account cos I forgot my first, then remembered my first and used both... long story).

However, I think a service/database like that (LB also) takes time and effort and they probably deserve compensation for it, so it's always good to support where we can.

Vidsnap_Scraper will remain free though?

18 hours ago, maikeru1986 said:

No problem. Yeah, I intend to implement "search terms" input and some things to increase success rate, maybe have more results and pick the best match (honestly not sure), but unfortunately depends on what YT has. I did intend it for Modern Windows titles as i don't think emu-movies has many (see below).

That would be ideal but tough to implement well, I'd imagine, but you did a great job with this scraper so good luck on any future enhancements!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays, everyone!