LaunchBox Community Forums

GPD Win3

damageinc86

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 7:05 AM, neil9000 said:

Still using Intel chips though, they should really switch to Ryzen as they have much better integrated graphics than Intel, and as this is a gaming orientated device im really surprised that they are leaving free performance on the table by sticking with Intel.

I don't think this is true, at least not from an Emulation perspective.

The i7-1165G7 in that device has an impressive single-thread rating of 2917 with a TDP of 12-28w.  The best mobile Ryzen I could find (Ryzen 9 4900H) only has a single-thread rating of 2724 with a TDP of 35-54w.  Lower emulation performance, for twice the power draw (it would require a cooling setup and battery to match)

Most emulators don't utilize the GPU much at all, and the ones that do are often bottle-necked by the single thread performance of the CPU that has to translate the calls to the GPU.  Keep in mind that this device has a 720p resolution screen, which means you won't be pushing high pixel counts.

Edited by thedevilsjester