LaunchBox Community Forums

Launch Box and Big Box both use a crazy amount of memory Ram

Tackskull

I am using launchbox a big box, I have something like 8000 games or more, each game scraped with video and boxfront. Now, untill a few hours ago launchbox and bigbox was working fine but I always noticed that the it was using a big amount of ram. Actually my laptop have 16 GB of ram and the usage of launchbox or bigbox require something around 13 and 14 GB. Each time I was looking to run launchbox or bigbox, the program was taking like 6-7 minutes to finally start.

Today after I scraped some new games the launchbox and bigbox programs both are just loading for so long time and at the end a message say "the program doesn't respond". I tried many times to rebbot the system but the problem is always there. So what I have to do to make launchbox and bigbox don't use so many ram memory? To me it seems so strange that require so many Ram

Guys, I don't want to be angry, but I spent 30 dollars to buy this frontend that is messing up my computer with a a crazy usage of memory ram, and I would expect a better answer than "you have another problem, launchbox doesn't use this amount of ram". I was using retropie with covers and videos in a very less powerfull laptop and I never get any kind of problem.  So if you guys have a bit of customer care please give me some answeer to solve this problem.

@Tackskull That's really odd, especially that it's happening on startup. Are you using a custom LaunchBox theme? It's admittedly not anything I've seen before, so unfortunately we'll need to dive into some deep-ish troubleshooting in order to get it figured out, as it's clearly a strange one-off or machine-specific issue. If you'd prefer a refund instead, just let us know. Otherwise, we'll need to ask a bunch of questions in order to get it figured out.

Thanks for the replyes... actually I am not using a custom launchbox, the only "strange thing" I am doing is to use an external program to scrape the video, the program is called scraper. Actually when I scrape video with this I noticed that the program was doing a backup of the xml file. So a few minutes ago I was navigating around the launchbox folder under data->system folder, and basically each system was having a normal xml file and a backup xml file.  I deleted all the backups files and it looks like the program is using much less ram. I don't know if is related or not, but something changed, because now instead of use 95% of ram, now use around 88% on startup.... then after a while  the ram usage fall down but sometime get back very high again, resulting in an unstable system.

My pc have a i7 10th generation CPU, 16gb of Ram and geforce gtx 1050, is not a super powerfull laptop but is more than enough

Edited by Tackskull

Just now, Tackskull said:

Thanks for the replyes... actually I am not using a custom launchbox, the only "strange thing" I am doing is to use an external program to scrape the video, the program is called scraper. Actually when I scrape video with this I noticed that the program was doing a backup of the xml file. So a few minutes ago I was navigating around the launchbox folder under data->system folder, and basically each system was having a normal xml file and a backup xml file.  I deleted all the backups files and it looks like the program is using much less ram. I don't know if is related or not, but something changed, because now instead of use 95% of ram, now use around 88% on startup.... then after a while  the ram usage fall down but sometime get back very high again, resulting in an unstable system.

My pc have a i7 10th generation CPU, 16gb of Ram and geforce gtx 1050, is not a super powerfull laptop but is more than enough

Yeah we have seen Skraper cause havoc before. It should never be touching your data files like that, you can tell it not to in its options. We have had countless cases of Skraper outright corrupting .xml files. Use any outside program with Launchbox at your own risk.

Unfortunately, yes, many times we have seen Skraper be ruinous and cause multiple issues with people's setups. This is the first I'm hearing if it causing terrible RAM usage issues like this, though. Regardless, unfortunately you'll probably have to not use Skraper with LaunchBox to ensure that you don't run into these issues @Tackskull.

If Skraper has corrupted your data files, you will probably have to remove them and/or reinstall LaunchBox. All the data files are kept in the LaunchBox\Data folder. You can safely delete your LaunchBox\Data folder and you'll end up with an empty install of LaunchBox.