LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME "initializing" briefly then returns to Launchbox

Megacade2021

8 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

For getting Odyssey2 going, there's some information here: 

Don't know anything about Rocket Launcher (I've never used it) and have never used RetroArch to run MAME.  But the above post does talk about using the stand alone MAME emulator for Odyssey2.

Thanks I looked at that thread and nothing worked. 

7 hours ago, Joe35car said:

Thanks I looked at that thread and nothing worked.

To clarify, are you wanting to set-up/use just stand-alone MAME to run Odyssey2 through LaunchBox?  Or are you wanting/trying to use the MAME core through RetroArch to run Odyssey2 through LaunchBox? And do you want to incorporate Rocket Launcher when you run Odyssey2 (be it via stand-alone MAME or RetroArch)?

Just MAME64 and Launchbox. Not a fan of RA especially with 10 year old cores for MAME, whats the point in using that lol. But yes I'm stumped why I can't get this system working but I have no issues with others like NES, SNES, Intellivsion, Coleco etc.....The systems I mentioned above I use no intro sets with MAME64 and Launchbox with no issues. Just don't know what the issue is with Odyssey2.  Any help would be great.

Edited by Joe35car

Just now, Joe35car said:

Not a fan of RA especially with 10 year old cores for MAME, whats the point in using that lol

Because your romset version has to match the emulator version to actually be compatible, and also the MAME2003 romset is probably the most popular set there is as its compatible with a ton of devices unlike the most up to date sets. Everytime MAME updates it gets harder to run as the emulation becomes more accurate, so there is a very good reason to support older romset versions. For this very reason every release of the MAME emulator ever is available for download on the mamedev website.

That's not the issue. It was working no problem and again I'm not using MAME software list for Odyssey2. I'm using no-into sets just like the other systems I mentioned above. As for MAME I have a complete current 227 set CHD, roms and software list.

I don't want to use the mame software list. I'm  using a complete USA  no-intro sets for my console systems. Any other suggestion why this is not working?

Update: I think something si going on with my Rocketlauncher because it doesn't work over there and for some reason my sets in LB want to use my configuration in RL.

Thanks

Edited by Joe35car

@Joe35car  Here's what I learned...

As of MAME 0.225, the only required file for odyssey2 was just "videopac.zip". Whereas before it was 'odyssey2.zip'.  As of 0.227, it now also needs "i8244.zip".   And still, no odyssey2.zip.  I know it was (is?) a clone of videopac, just relaying what I read.

MAME 0.227 softlists don't even have odyssey2 (xml nor game-roms) any more. (I know you're using a no-intro set.  Just pointing out what I discovered hoping maybe it'll shed some light for you.)  But the "odyssey2.zip" rom is still in with regular MAME. (historical reference??)

So it looks like the associated hash file is videopac.xml as there is no longer an "odyssey2.xml" in the current set.  The MAME (0.227) required files are "i8244.zip" and "videopac.zip".  Again, no odyssey2.zip showing as being required.  But if you run stand-alone MAME without it, it won't show in the Available list.  and then if you do have it, the games for won't show as Available if they're in the ../odyssey2/ folder.  BUT rename it ../videopac/, they will show as Available.

Without changing anything In LB (which was basically just pointing the game to  ../odyssey2/rom_file.zip, and pointing the emulator to MAME),  I added the 2 fore mentioned files to my MAME/roms folder and renamed my ../MAME/software/odyssey2/ folder to ../MAME/software/videopac/, everything launched perfectly from LB.

Note: for my MAME emulator in LB, I have the 2 checkboxes checked to use No Quotes and Filename Only.  Thus not needing to change the path for the rom location in LB. [I'll clean that up later]

Hope you can decipher all that, assimilate it to your setup and get it working.

Thanks still have a problem and now I just broke my Atari 5200. All I did was switch emulators and switched back and now it doesn't launch. I'm ready to toss out the window.

Update: fixed my Atari 5200. Still having issues on Odyssey 2. I'll keep plugging away.  :)

Edited by Joe35car

MAME did a relatively extensive update in 0.227.  Some with the roms (as usual) but more-so with driver source files (which actually broke a few of the Arcade Machines [I believe that's been taken care of in the Developers release])  Are your no-intro sets slated for 0.227?  It may be worth testing them with an older release.  0.226 (5? 4?) or whatever the release is they were 'made for'.

20 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

MAME did a relatively extensive update in 0.227.  Some with the roms (as usual) but more-so with driver source files (which actually broke a few of the Arcade Machines [I believe that's been taken care of in the Developers release])  Are your no-intro sets slated for 0.227?  It may be worth testing them with an older release.  0.226 (5? 4?) or whatever the release is they were 'made for'.

Well 228 just came out today. I'm going to update and then try 224 before the changes were made to odyssey2.

Thanks