LaunchBox Community Forums

lauchbox is having trouble starting the setup application

kennyrovers

Im getting the error

'lauchbox is having trouble starting the setup application because it sees that another application (such as dropbox) is using the file. Please try again or try downloading the latest version from the webiste instead'

I dont have drop box installed and this pops up everytime i try to start launchbox. How do I manually update if possible without losing my games and playlists?

Any help would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Also seeing this issue.  I'm on version 11.8 - update fails (with the OP message) when trying to move to latest version.  Platform is now also unstable, such an unable to change views between Box Art and List View.  Updated to 11.9 manually, and issue remains.

Edited by earthprime

I am having a similar issue, but LaunchBox will launch into 11.8 and functions. I have downloaded the 11.9 file directly from the website and lost all playlists/games.... I don't have dropbox, googledrive, or any thing like that on my system. Launching into the application just prompts that a new version has been downloaded and will loop with the same error.

Are there any install logs to grab?

LaunchBoxError.png

So I resolved the issue by downloading the update directly from LaunchBox and replacing the file in the Updates folder in the install directory.

The old installer did not have the launchbox icon and had a "Admin" badge. I replaced this file with the new download and launched LaunchBox and updated without issue. Hope this helps

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

My guess would be a antivirus quarantined the file, so it was technically in use by the AV. By default you should never need admin rights to install updates, so thats my guess.

Your probably right mate. I recently signed up to malware bytes. I’ve updated by putting the new one over the old one. Uninstalled malware bytes and it seems fine now. ??

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump, but i'm having the same issue. Moving from a fresh install of 11.9 trying to update to 11.10. Same error message as OP. I can't see how you have resolved this... where can i find the update files only for the new version? All i can find on LB download page is the full program download link? Or do i just have to run that again and then copy across some files?

2 minutes ago, mrloki76 said:

where can i find the update files only for the new version?

You cant, updates are always the full program installer, not just the new/altered files. You can manually run the newest installer from your Launchbox/Updates folder, or by downloading from the website. Just install directly over the top of your current install.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:13 PM, LifesFailure said:

So I resolved the issue by downloading the update directly from LaunchBox and replacing the file in the Updates folder in the install directory.

The old installer did not have the launchbox icon and had a "Admin" badge. I replaced this file with the new download and launched LaunchBox and updated without issue. Hope this helps

Weird on my setup it just keep repeating that same error and have seen if Avast or Malwarebytes quarantined any file but dont see any files 

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue when I tried to update from within LaunchBox, so I downloaded the installer and tried to update manually, with the same results. After reading this thread, I quit Malwarebytes and tried again and it worked. I  then started Malwarebytes back up and everything seems fine.

Malwarebytes is definitely appears to be blocking part of the installation. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 and I was updating from LaunchBox 10.10 to 10.11.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hi there, im having the same issue, cant update from 11.15 . im a lifetime member givimg the dropbox error, i dont have dropbox or norton, i have added launchbox and updates folders in allow list on malbytes, and also the update file itself. im losing my mind, why is this such a comon issue, ive spent hours trying to fix it, a fresh install wipes everything, luckily i still had original to put back.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...