LaunchBox Community Forums

New build log Tiato Vewlix (chewlix) build

Visivopro

Just picked up my first chewlix cabinet and I plan on doing an extensive LaunchBox/BigBox install. 

pc specs: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GTX 2070 super 

16gb Ram 

1TB NVMe for OS and software install 

11tb media and game drive 

I have spent over a year compiling games and media and building and organizing. I plan to have two set, a set with everything and a hits list consisting of only my favorite and most commonly played games.

I will also be using 2 Sinden light guns for shooting games and I may or may not add a spinner to the auxiliary control panel. 

I do want to know if anyone else has done a build like this and what navigation buttons you have used? 

the cabinet has a digital coin mechanism that I’m told accepts pretty much any coin. I plan to wire it up and use ether 100 yen coins or cherry tokens. Might add a NESica card reader down the road if I can find one at a reasonable price. I may also mount a small screen above the marquee to act as a digital marquee. 

I plan on using Sanwa buttons and joysticks which it does come with but I may swap them for other colors depending on how the ones it comes  with feel. I’ll also be using a iPac 2 or possibly even a j-pac. 

I’ll be keeping logs and updating as I go, I also have two Tiato arcade stools on order to complete the Japanese arcade feeling which I plan to resurface with blue felt and have the Tiato and Sega logos embroidered on them. 

if anyone has similar builds, I’d love to see them, google didn’t turn up a lot of results. 

D8D7F431-8CF3-479D-8422-22CA79BB7E5F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! 

just an update, I have received notice that my cabinet has shipped and should arrive in 5-7 days. 

in the meantime I have also found a distributor in China that is going to supply me with Namco coins to use with my cabinet. I have attached a photo. I ordered 500 and will probably give away or sell some and keep 50 to 100 for myself. I thought it would be fun to play with real coins rather then just smashing a button. 

I’m not sure if anyone is reading this but I’ll continue to update it and maybe someone will find it useful in the future. 

if anyone has questions or recommendations for upgrades or changes to the cabinet, let me know. 

thanks

4C7571BA-9362-451D-8AC6-4B0719F188AD.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Everyone

Another Short Update!

Freighting service called today and informed me that they will be delivering tomorrow the 15th between 1pm and 3pm.

Expect there to be a big photo update as I will try to take photos of everything including:

• How it was shipped
  • All angles of the cab
  • Close ups of wiring and buttons
  • the Jamma connector it came with
  • monitor quality
  • little details all around cab
  • more.....

Unfortunately I start work on a major film on tuesday that will last most of the year so updates may become a bit infrequent as my hours are usually crazy. i will try to at least do little updates on the weekends when I can.

Also can anyone recommend a good low profile PC case that doesn't cost much and will fit the AORUS B450 AORUS M motherboard? I think it will be easier and cleaner to build it in a case rather then just mounting the components to the cab. It may also make it easier to upgrade components when needed.

Anyhow that is all I have for today, Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.    

Hey everyone 

as promised here is the big image dump of picture I took of the new cab. It arrived around 10am which was way earlier then scheduled but I was home so it was fine. 

today I build an acrylic test bench to mount my motherboard into the cab. I will laser cut it here shortly and will update this when it’s mounted. Eventually I’ll put it on slides do I can slide it in and out for maintenance purposes. 

please let me know if you want to see anything specific. This will get much more exciting once the pc is in and I can finally start finalizing my LaunchBox/Big Box setup. 

hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday. 

later for now. 

A291F108-D675-4136-ACC0-21C3A7B59BE2.jpeg

06F88970-36D7-448D-9944-8DB9E5C47EE3.jpeg

4CE66881-F615-4767-B76C-32A7A2A7A637.jpeg

F8D933A1-9F33-4708-9028-8AF721FB5427.jpeg

B609F7CB-89B5-4E5E-AB6F-CE789AC73163.jpeg

62B1CD32-EAAA-4F45-B760-80613C2C9EB3.jpeg

CF97EFD2-D49A-4855-A4EF-F6CA4E735BC5.jpeg

85245CF5-BB3D-4753-AA1B-CF6CD1EB5FA8.jpeg

B0F22C47-81A5-4DA1-8D39-B3EE93E02869.jpeg

B51A9E32-BB51-4BF9-A0A8-87220A66836F.jpeg

EFFCA097-4B63-4FFE-8756-5829785F3F36.jpeg

286EF547-E7B1-4850-AD62-E4D643C8B360.jpeg

E94987FF-A895-4DBC-8880-18BFC1158086.jpeg

53A1FF01-9558-4C4D-B2AA-247D9666AFF3.jpeg

06FF9D4A-6C52-4B2D-A3E9-A5691C1DD534.jpeg

• Like 4

Last update for today (maybe) 

hey everyone 

Just an update to show off a few things, I had originally intended to just throw my parts into a cheap pc case but find the cheaper options to be pretty bad. So I opted to just build the pc into the cabinet and designed and laser cut an acrylic motherboard mount so I could keep the motherboard cool and raised off the shelf. I still have some wire management to do and will probably need to need to design and 3D print a gpu support because it’s not bolted down to anything and I had to remove the gpio cover from the graphics card for clearance. That said it’s running well and when my larger 11tb drive shows up I’ll connect both it and my 8tb drive and start putting LaunchBox together. I have attached some photos of it running and the motherboard tray I designed, please let me know if anyone wants the files for that and I’ll put them up. 

See you guys on the next update. 

6771163A-0125-4DB2-9D7A-5F51F32685B2.jpeg

080C900A-625D-408B-887F-DFC6AB8B5AF9.jpeg

6AC2B275-C971-4312-9930-03A915F98D9C.jpeg

59455B9E-C377-4358-98F6-D11E449CBD67.jpeg

Got a special delivery today! My Namco repro tokens came in and they are gorgeous! I’ll be using these instead of just mashing a coin button or flicking the coin micro switch. 

long day at work today starting around 4am so probably won’t be working on the cabinet today but I have ordered some cables to run audio out of the pc and into the vewlix cabinet. 

also discovered that there is an LED that shoots straight up from the top, presumably to light up the plastic marquees they sometimes have. Well it turns out it is perfect for a really cool piece of acrylic that I can laser etch and should look really cool when mounted up. 

anyhow I’ll be back with more when progress is made. 

happy Tuesday everyone! 

B4537891-DADA-4CE8-898F-29F2ADD9B384.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone

sorry for the delay, I got preoccupied with work and life. I have done a lot of work to the cabinet in the last few weeks and I’ll be doing some posts for it very soon. 

on the list is: 

replaced the included buttons with ultimarc gold leaf RGB LED buttons. 

replaced iPac 2 with Ultimate IO Board 

Removed included wiring 

set up LEDBlinky 

added additional USB ports 

building Gun4IR Guns for shooting games 

setting up Launchbox and importing games 

configuring controls 

Reworking cooling system for the cabinet. 

installing power and reset buttons for the pc 

reconnect the coin mechanism

there is more, a seemingly endless list but this should keep me busy for a while. Stay tuned for tomorrows update with pictures and videos. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/17/2022 at 4:16 PM, hyunchris said:

This looks awesome. If you had a game that you wanted to use a controller,  would it be possible to use it? I see usb ports on the PC, could you just open the door and plug in controllers if you want?

Yes you could do that but now I have modified the cab so there is a powered hub that is stuck to the side with magnets. It has about 8 ports so I use that for the keyboard and mouse when it’s needed and also for controllers and light guns. I have made a lot of changes to the system so it’s probably time for an update. 

3 hours ago, Paynemaster said:

Awesome build! I am looking to do something similar with a Vewlix cab this October. I am pretty interested where u got these nice Namco repro tokens from. They look really clean. Care to share?

Yeah, they are great! I got them on alibaba here is the info. I think they have a minimum order of 1000 but it was pretty easy to sell them off and they weren’t terribly expensive if I recall. 

heren is the link to the store. Just shoot them a message, they are nice and helpful. I think it was $115 shipped so maybe it was a little expensive but I sold all but 100 of them and made all my money back. They are also 100% brand new. 

Guangzhou Xinbang Animation Technology Co., Ltd. 

is the name of the company and the contact is Kuang Lifang 

apparently alibaba doesn’t allow sharing the link to the store I have attached a picture so you know you have the right one. 

01CD496E-39F6-40C8-B0CA-43BC0585B368.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. I have found two results on the coins.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wholesale-custom-arcade-game-machine-Token_1600223337485.html?spm=a2700.shop_pl.41413.35.1d644622lYxeqv

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Xinbang-Animation-sales-customized-all-kinds_1600223376025.html?spm=a2700.details.0.0.5f0235154cazYF

Not sure if these are new?

I probably need a new coin mechanism for these to work. I need to contact the Cabinet guy. But I think they haven't changed the mechanism