LaunchBox Community Forums

11.9 Launchbox won't import MAME roms

mcfilmmakers

@Jason Carr I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing wrong here. My understanding is that 11.9 is Mame version agnostic and includes the 227 xml files. I am trying to import the 227 update roms to a Temp platform.

There are 168 files that I drag and drop into Launchbox for import. I tell it to scan as Arcade with MAME as the emulator. Import all duplicates, etc.... I want to import all 168 files.
1663218145_Screenshot2021-02-28163343.thumb.jpg.b122538872285c935e51cd9abd4aafb1.jpg

Yet the above is all Launchbox is recognizing.

Even if I try to import as none of the above instead of roms, it is only recognizing the same set of games. It will only import all the files if I DO NOT select scan as Arcade AND do not select MAME, but then I get this:

995440840_Screenshot2021-02-28163832.thumb.jpg.65f5eb757386e7fd773eb9f64c609e67.jpg

Which is not acceptable because it isn't assigning the names to the roms.

Isn't there a way to import the MAME 227 roms I selected, in full, with the title of the actual games being assigned?

OK two things here off of the top of my head. You do realise that the update packs do not contain any working roms right? Or very few if any at all, they only contain the new/changed files from the zip not the full game. Secondly what roms that are in that update are not necessarily games, they could be bios files for example, and at the same time, just because they are in the update pack, that doesnt mean that they are working games, and if they are non working Launchbox wont list them for import unless you override those settings and import non working games also.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, neil9000 said:

OK two things here off of the top of my head. You do realise that the update packs do not contain any working roms right? Or very few if any at all, they only contain the new/changed files from the zip not the full game. Secondly what roms that are in that update are not necessarily games, they could be bios files for example, and at the same time, just because they are in the update pack, that doesnt mean that they are working games, and if they are non working Launchbox wont list them for import unless you override those settings and import non working games also.

I realize everything you mentioned but here's the point: I want them anyway. If they aren't working today, I want them there in my list, where I can hide them, so that they will be there in my list when they do work.

You do realise that the update packs do not contain any working roms right? Or very few if any at all, they only contain the new/changed files from the zip not the full game. 

Not actually true. Some of the new games are working, full games but in less than perfect quality. That doesn't mean they aren't playable.

Secondly what roms that are in that update are not necessarily games, they could be bios files for example, and at the same time, just because they are in the update pack, that doesnt mean that they are working games, and if they are non working Launchbox wont list them for import unless you override those settings and import non working games also.

That's my point. I AM telling Launchbox to import EVERYTHING, skip NOTHING and I am trying to override the settings and yet it still filters out what it considers non valid. I want to make that full and complete choice, myself. I should be allowed to. There is value in those bios files. You might not see that value, but it's there.

But I'm not talking about the bios files. In particular, it's that in those screenshots, there are playable games being filtered out when I am doing everything I can to tell it not to do that. If it's not possible to make the distinction between those game types then why not allow the option to import them with a checkbox "import ALL roms without filters". I don't mind doing the manual deleting afterwards, I just want the name on the rom when it's imported.

Edited by mcfilmmakers

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

MAME is a tricky beast, and it becomes way more tricky when you try to import only a subset of ROMs. That's generally not a good idea. The only proper way to import MAME ROMs is to use the MAME full-set importer.

I hear you, but the full set importer will still filter out those same games. What is needed is a checkbox to disable ALL filters because clearly there are filters being applied even when you tell Launchbox to import all clones, import all duplicates and skip nothing.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the full set importer should continue working as is but when the user is manually importing the roms themselves, they should be granted the right to import exactly what they chose to import using the emulator they want to specify. The fact that the import wizard is still restricting the imported files takes away from that purpose. At the end of the day, if the rom itself doesn't work or isn't playable, that's not Launchbox's fault just the same as it is the case for any other rom using any other emulator.

Edited by mcfilmmakers

I do not know if it helps, but I did a full import from a full 229 rom pack and I found out by chance that it was missing games.

E.g I could not find StarForce (one of my favorites)

BTW what is the best way to go in order to get the missing maes imported without creating chaos?

Thanx