LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows Game Importer

Strubdog

Not sure if this is an existing issue, but when I try to import a windows game. Launchbox does not see the game. I have tried this a few times. The games are installed on the C drive and I use the default settings when I install the respective games. I have been able to import the games by using the rom importer and getting the .exe. 

I'm just curious is there an issue with the Windows importer?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, DukeBannon said:

That seems to work. What are the conditions necessary for the built in Tools|Import|Windows Games to work?

Windows game importer (as stated on the first page of the importer) looks for games in your Start Menu. Most of the time you will either use the Xbox/Microsoft Store importer (if purchased via that app) or just drag drop the executable for the game into LaunchBox.

2 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Windows game importer (as stated on the first page of the importer) looks for games in your Start Menu. Most of the time you will either use the Xbox/Microsoft Store importer (if purchased via that app) or just drag drop the executable for the game into LaunchBox.

Yes, I read the first page several times) but that doesn't seem to make a difference for the games I've installed from media.

4 minutes ago, DukeBannon said:

Yes, I read the first page several times) but that doesn't seem to make a difference for the games I've installed from media.

Then those games are not installed to the start menu, it really is that simple. Personally for games i have that are not attached to stores i create a shortcut on installation and keep those shortcuts in a folder, and dragged and dropped that folder to import the games. I then went to Tools/manage platforms/folders tab, and changed the games folder to my shortcut folder. Now i can just drop new shortcuts into the folder and click the platform in Launchbox and then go to Tools/scan for added roms to pick up new games.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Then those games are not installed to the start menu, it really is that simple. Personally for games i have that are not attached to stores i create a shortcut on installation and keep those shortcuts in a folder, and dragged and dropped that folder to import the games. I then went to Tools/manage platforms/folders tab, and changed the games folder to my shortcut folder. Now i can just drop new shortcuts into the folder and click the platform in Launchbox and then go to Tools/scan for added roms to pick up new games.

neil9000, please look at these. I just installed HalfLife and you'll see that it IS in my Windows 10 Start Menu. You'll also see that LauncBox doesn't find it when it scans. Dragging the executable into LaunchBox works but that wasn't the question. The question is what are the criteria for the built-in Import function to work. Clearly just being in the Start Menus doesn't suffice.

20210420_175003100_iOS (2).jpg

20210420_173927680_iOS (2).jpg

20210420_175553440_iOS (2).jpg

Edited by DukeBannon

The executable (.exe) must be in the current user or all users start menu folder hierarchy or have a registry entry in a specific path for that import to find it. It is used primary for games that used to be installed by the OS directly to the Start Menu that were otherwise extremely difficult to locate and import. Some older games used to install this way as well. The reason your example does not get caught is because that is a shortcut.

5 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

The executable (.exe) must be in the current user or all users start menu folder hierarchy or have a registry entry in a specific path for that import to find it. It is used primary for games that used to be installed by the OS directly to the Start Menu that were otherwise extremely difficult to locate and import. Some older games used to install this way as well. The reason your example does not get caught is because that is a shortcut.

C-Beats, thanks for that explanation.