LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Freezing

Mr.Laor

Has anyone been experiencing this lately? After a little navigation Launchbox freezes on me and I get a "Launchbox Not responding" dialog. It's possible that it's a failing hard drive (has been making some odd sounds).

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Laor said:

Has anyone been experiencing this lately? After a little navigation Launchbox freezes on me and I get a "Launchbox Not responding" dialog. It's possible that it's a failing hard drive (has been making some odd sounds).

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Havent seen anything myself. Id check the health of the drive, id suggest crystal disk info. As you can see below it shows i have a issue with my D drive (not worried about the data as its a dedicated Xbox gamepass drive), but it may give you a indication as to any upcoming issues.

image.thumb.png.b20ebd1a5fa49f9b58500673a929c352.png

I'm having a similar issue.  Started on a brand new drive as well as my previous one.  Don't have any answers to solutions as of yet.  Just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. Will continue searching for answers and update this thread if I find any solutions.  

I ran into this recently with LaunchBox 11.9 with a very modest library of maybe 10 games. It was left running for about 30 minutes while I went to do something. When I came back it was completely unresponsive, and needed to be killed from task manager. I'll make sure to capture logs if it happens again.

As it happens, I just hit the problem again. LaunchBox is in a state where the window activates ok (not faded white 'unresponsive'), but nothing is clickable or highlights on mouse over. I was able to close LB from the task bar (right-click -> Close window) so it didn't require killing in task manager. It seems it's still running ok, just not responding to user input. Based on those observations, I'm not sure if it's the exact same as your issue @Mr.Laor (no not responding dialog), but they may be related.

The last few items from the log (full log attached):

2021-03-23 04:57:06 AM Aborting MameHighScores.Parse: Uploading MAME high scores is disabled in settings.
2021-03-23 04:57:07 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Activated Start
2021-03-23 04:57:07 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Activated Before JoystickTimer Enabled Set
2021-03-23 04:57:07 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Activated Before Resume Video
2021-03-23 04:57:07 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Activated Before Check Already Focused
2021-03-23 04:57:09 AM Resolving assembly ArchiveCacheManager.Plugin.resources, Version=2.0.4.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=null...
2021-03-23 04:57:09 AM Resolving assembly ArchiveCacheManager.Plugin.resources, Version=2.0.4.0, Culture=en, PublicKeyToken=null...
2021-03-23 04:57:09 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Deactivated Start
2021-03-23 04:57:09 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Deactivated Before Pause Video
2021-03-23 04:57:09 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Deactivated Completed
2021-03-23 04:57:15 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Activated Start
2021-03-23 04:57:15 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Activated Before JoystickTimer Enabled Set
2021-03-23 04:57:15 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Activated Before Resume Video
2021-03-23 04:57:15 AM Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MainViewModel.window.Activated Before Check Already Focused
2021-03-23 04:57:16 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: C:\LaunchBox\pack:\application:,,,\WpfResources\Background.png
   at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM GameDetailsViewModel AttachView LoadVideoMusic Start
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM GameDetailsViewModel LoadVideoMusic MusicNotPlaying Start
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM Music.Prepare Start
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM GameDetailsViewModel LoadVideoMusic MusicNotPlaying Complete
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM GameDetailsViewModel AttachView LoadVideoMusic Completed
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM Music.Kill Start
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM Music.Kill Finished
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
2021-03-23 04:57:17 AM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF

Debug 2021-03-23 04-55-44 AM.log

Tried upgrading drivers and updating to latest beta release today with no success.  Can not create an error log as it freezes completely.  Will continue searching for answers.  Been using launchbox for 3 years now and have found it's usually something silly when these things happen.  Will figure it out eventually.  

• 4 months later...

I've been having this problem for quite some time....pretty sure ive narrowed it down to a VLC problem on my end. I will get hang and have to close out of launchbox, usually after editing a game or as OP said just doing some speedy navigation. At first disabling the auto play of videos seemed to fix it, but with the last few updates it no longer was a temp fix for me, changing it to Windows Media Player as default video app seemed to have fixed it for me for now. Havent had a hang or "not responding" for like 6 days now. Used to get several a day. Hopefully it gets sorted out at some point...

• 1 year later...

I have installed windows 10 on my deck , and am running launchbox, it freezes during game config.   Also ... since there is no way to bring up a virtual keyboard ... i am questioning the practicality of running launchbox on windows on the deck.  Once inside DOS ... unless you use an external keyboard ... i cant think of a way to make this practical. I have installed windows externally via WindowsToGo on an external SSD drive.

Pretty bummed as I can see no way to make this an enjoyable experience. lol.

Also : The decks resolution is very low ... so I think you have to mess with the .conf files to get it to size right.

Also .. for the controller and keyboard ..i am going to try this solution ...

Edited by Dunnieboy