LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox keeps crashing when editing metadata

jonnieboyrevel

For a long time LB has been running with absolutely no problems. However, I keep running into a problem when I'm trying to edit games.

It normally works fine for several games and I can add images, additional apps, metadata etc... but after a little while LB hangs after I click OK to close the game edit screen.

It doesn't matter which Platform I'm editing, it does it on most of them.

I have to click the LB is not responding button then force close LB. I can then open it again and it works for a little while...

I did try switching LB to the text view rather than images and it seemed to work ok. However, I don't know definitely as it might have just taken longer to get the same error.

I'm happy to upload the log file but as it hangs I'm not sure it will capture the error. Also, do I need to remove anything from the log before uploading?

Any help would be gratefully received, it's driving me mad...

Thank in advance

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another log from today. All it should be is starting Launchbox then attempting to download/update metadata/images for the Spectrum. It works a few times and then hangs until I force close.

Debug 2020-09-29 09-13-11 AM.log

And another one where it crashes almost immediately...

Debug 2020-09-29 09-23-49 AM.log

Edited by jonnieboyrevel

I had some bad freezing from LB for a while and didn't know what it was turned out I had a bunch of bad sectors on the disk I had LB on. Not saying that is your issue but you may want to error check you disk by running a chkdsk  /r  command. Fair warning though depending on the size of your drive it could take a long time

• Thanks 1

I think it might be something to do with the LBCache folder.  If I clear it I don't get any errors for a little while. 

If I open the folder I get around 200 files that are corrupt, pngs with 0 file size and that can't be opened.  My guess is that when I update a game it refreshes the images from the cache, hits a corrupt file which causes the crash. Unfortunately I don't know how to stop LB from corrupting the files...

Hmm, maybe not. It looks like LB makes a dummy file for images you don't have yet...

Edited by jonnieboyrevel

Yes, it does create dummy files. Those crashes are not normal, however. Keep in mind though that the crashes can be *caused* by killing LaunchBox repeatedly, if you're just not patient while it's trying to save, and you cause the data files to become corrupted.

Unfortunately the logs you posted aren't telling me much. By chance, did you use any third party utilities for imports? Do you have any plugins?

Hi Jason

In terms of plugins, I have the ScummVM plugin which I used to import the ScummVM games. However, I don't think it imports directly, just creates the files to import via the LB tools.

I also have PCSX2 Configurator Next but it doesn't import anything, just creates the configs for PS2.

Other than those, everything has been imported using the LB import tool.

It definitely hangs, I left it for over half and hour once to see if it would save but LB doesn't appear to be doing anything in Task Manager, no CPU usage etc... 

I assume something is corrupt somewhere but I can't work out how to track it down. It's taken the best part of 2 years to get to the point I'm at, so I very reluctant to attempt a fresh install... I considered trying to reinstall and copy back in the data files but I assume I'd probably be copying the problem back in again...

22 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

Hi Jason

In terms of plugins, I have the ScummVM plugin which I used to import the ScummVM games. However, I don't think it imports directly, just creates the files to import via the LB tools.

I also have PCSX2 Configurator Next but it doesn't import anything, just creates the configs for PS2.

Other than those, everything has been imported using the LB import tool.

It definitely hangs, I left it for over half and hour once to see if it would save but LB doesn't appear to be doing anything in Task Manager, no CPU usage etc... 

I assume something is corrupt somewhere but I can't work out how to track it down. It's taken the best part of 2 years to get to the point I'm at, so I very reluctant to attempt a fresh install... I considered trying to reinstall and copy back in the data files but I assume I'd probably be copying the problem back in again...

If you can zip up and PM me your LaunchBox\Data folder, I can take a look to see if they're corrupted.

8 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

Ok, will do. Thank you

Well, I tested the data; there's no corruption in your data files. So the data isn't the issue apparently. It has to be something else with the machine I guess. Can you try running chkdsk again to see if it finds things to fix again? If so, you may be dealing with a bad drive. Otherwise, we can dive in further. Do you get any error messages when it crashes?

Hmm, ok thank you for doing that.

The main drive with LB on is new, I replaced it when the first chkdsk found errors.  It might be my rom drive, I'll have a go at changing that and come back to you.

No, there aren't any errors, LB just goes a little bit blurry and stops responding. If I try and click on anything I get the 'Do you want to force close' dialog.

It's odd because the rest of Windows still responds fine, including accessing both hard drives...

I'll update after the mammoth drive cloning exercise, thanks for your help with this.

Jon 

Hi guys

I dont want to hijack the topic and any help will be appreciated.

BB LB crashed on me yesterday out of nowhere and it says root file is missing and launchbox/data/settings.xml is corrupt

and something about reinstalling from a back up.

just before this happened my comp/retroarch crashed with blue screen saying something jnon json files or something.

i found just before that i have copy of LB BB .exe in 2 seperate areas 1 under launchbox folder and 1 under the cores folder.

Please any help even if just send me to another post cheers. 

3 minutes ago, blackboxingcat said:

Hi guys

I dont want to hijack the topic and any help will be appreciated.

BB LB crashed on me yesterday out of nowhere and it says root file is missing and launchbox/data/settings.xml is corrupt

and something about reinstalling from a back up.

just before this happened my comp/retroarch crashed with blue screen saying something jnon json files or something.

i found just before that i have copy of LB BB .exe in 2 seperate areas 1 under launchbox folder and 1 under the cores folder.

Please any help even if just send me to another post cheers. 

Look in your Launchbox/Backups folder and sort by date, unzip the newest one and copy the settings.xml to the Launchbox/Data folder overwriting when prompted.

Neil9000

I dont know who you are bro or where you stand will launchbox. But i wish i could give u a gift or something.

But everytime you have helped me, it has worked first go everytime. im sure your help accross these forums very appreciated bud.

Thanks heaps..

Do u know why this error occured? so i know not to do it again by accident. if not all good.

Cheers

On 10/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, blackboxingcat said:

Neil9000

I dont know who you are bro or where you stand will launchbox. But i wish i could give u a gift or something.

But everytime you have helped me, it has worked first go everytime. im sure your help accross these forums very appreciated bud.

Thanks heaps..

Do u know why this error occured? so i know not to do it again by accident. if not all good.

Cheers

Unfortunately this was probably caused by the blue screen somehow. So other than trying to improve Windows stability, there's probably not much you can do to prevent it in the future.

Well, I've replaced both the hard drives in the system and replaced the ram but LB still crashes when updating metadata...

It's very odd, I can play games in both LB and BB without issue and I haven't had any issues with anything else on the computer.

The logs and data seem ok (thanks @Jason Carr for confirming) then I'm at a loss to know where to look...

Well, I can add an in-place Windows re-install to the list of things I've tried but still no joy...

Edited by jonnieboyrevel