LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega CD with Launchbox

vinylgamer

I configured Sega CD to run through Retroarch by following the Launchbox Youtube tutorial. It works great on about 75% of the games. For example, Spider Man & Kingpin won't start. If I open Retroarch directly and load content, it loads. But some games won't load in Launchbox. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Hi @vinylgamer

What file format are your Sega CD games in? I just tried a zipped bin+cue version of Spider-man vs Kingpin, and LaunchBox is able to load it with RetroArch. Is there any difference in file formats between the working and non-working games? Are they zipped, or just files on disk?

I know some Sega CD roms are data + audio files, and it may be LaunchBox is trying to load the audio file with RA instead of the data file.

The game is bin and cue like the rest.  All my Sega CD games are this way.  Very strange how some games won't load unless I go directly into Retroarch. Im going to dive back in later today and continue trouble shooting. If I figure it out, I will share. Thanks

8 minutes ago, vinylgamer said:

The game is bin and cue like the rest.  All my Sega CD games are this way.  Very strange how some games won't load unless I go directly into Retroarch. Im going to dive back in later today and continue trouble shooting. If I figure it out, I will share. Thanks

Edit the cue file with notepad and make sure the cue file is named exactly the same as the bin file, then try loading it again.

You can also combine the game file sets with either CUE or GDI into CHDs so you have a single, slimmer file to deal with. I did this both with my Sega CD CUE romsets as well as with my Dreamcast romsets (GDI-based) which also had multiple files. It not only saved space but made file management a breeze. (I wish Wii U were this easy and not a labyrinth of files, but I digress...) I have a batch script I found online that I modified to that can combine most any .cue set into CHDs. I will update this post with the files  once I track it down.

EDIT: See attached. You should be able to run this within your ROM directory. Compared to the source version below, I had added a prep step to rename the .cue or .gdi to match the subfolder it resides in. This is so the name of the CHD that is subsequently created matches the folder, not the .cue or .gdi since some .cue or .gdi do not necessarily match their content names by default. The resulting CHDs is all you will need afterward. Depending on the game, you can might > 2X compression ratio (or less than half the size of the original files) which is really helpful in saving space if you are doing romset collect-a-thons.

Source:

Convert bin files, gdi files and cue files to CHD files for use with Launchbox / Retroarch (Saturn, Playstation, Dreamcast) – scunster.co.uk

Compress CUEs and GDIs into CHDs.zip

Edited by Hifihedgehog