LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble with Importing Games, MetaData, & EmuMovies

vahn65

I am getting constant errors when importing games. I also occasionally get messages saying that I am unable to login to emumovies even though in options I am logged in and the test is successful. Importing now takes 3 times as long and downloading metadata takes even longer as well. I am a beta user if that matters. If anyone can offer am explanation or some assistance i would be grateful 

It sounds like a server issue with Launchbox I told EmuMovies about this problem and their reply was "Metadata doesn't come from EmuMovies it comes from Launchbox Servers so it sounds like more of a global issue. As far as the login failing, usually the quickest fix is resetting your password here and then log back into Launchbox".

With the 11.10 update, I have the same issue followed by a crash telling me I'm out of ram for launchbox to run, I have 16gb and resource manager says I'm only using 20% of the ram available. By now I should know better than to leave auto updates on after I get everything working correctly.

10 hours ago, vahn65 said:

It sounds like a server issue with Launchbox I told EmuMovies about this problem and their reply was "Metadata doesn't come from EmuMovies it comes from Launchbox Servers so it sounds like more of a global issue. As far as the login failing, usually the quickest fix is resetting your password here and then log back into Launchbox".

Metadata actually comes from the metadata file in the Launchbox folder, this file is downloaded in its entirety when the importer is ran or you edit a game ( you will be told the file needs updating and you will see the progress of the download at the bottom of the screen and it should take less than a minute to download on a semi decent connection as its currently a 237MB file)

image.thumb.png.be14f7f120702b9c712de0bff0e30302.png

So the server doesn't come into play when actually getting game descriptions and all that sort of data as its all pulled from that file that you now have local to your system. If you are receiving errors related to downloading images, then that is a different issue as they are downloaded "on demand". So while emumovies are correct in stating that metadata comes from us and our servers, i think you may be mistaken as to what downloads are actually erroring (because as i said actual metadata isn't pulled from the internet during imports like that) so i assume its actual media that is erroring, and that could be coming from us or emumovies, so we would need some more details on what actually is happening, like the errors that are actually being received, rather than just "I get errors".

Thanks.

We didn't alter any code regarding downloading metadata or media in the latest version update so I have my doubts the update is the cause of these issues. Typically those errors are caused because the communication between your computer and the servers didn't complete as expected. This can be caused by bad routing, server traffic, firewalls, net monitor/AV software, etc. EmuMovies is correct in that metadata comes from us, media from them (and only the media for items you check in the EmuMovies section of the importer or download media tool). If you are having issues with accessing both sites then it is more likely a network issue than LaunchBox.

22 minutes ago, transamken said:

With the 11.10 update, I have the same issue followed by a crash telling me I'm out of ram for launchbox to run, I have 16gb and resource manager says I'm only using 20% of the ram available. By now I should know better than to leave auto updates on after I get everything working correctly.

This error doesn't necessarily mean that your computer is out of RAM. Just that your OS refuses to give us the RAM we need to continue (for a whole host of reasons). I would try to download media for a smaller amount of items and see if that resolves. As stated in my previous comment, I have my suspicions that the update has anything to do with it.

My apologies that definitely came out wrong as I wrote it during the frustration after updating. I'm not all trying to blame the software, my pc is 10 years old and trying to maintain almost 12000 games. On top of that I just slapped a newer video card in it. It's just when I get everything sorted I always forget to uncheck auto updates, it always brings new issues for me for some unknown reason (this is fresh windows 10 install as well) and I'm most certain it's the rig not launchbox.  LOL This is why I never comment in all the years I've been here, I really have nothing new to add to anything :D

Edited by transamken

2 minutes ago, transamken said:

My apologies that definitely came out wrong as I wrote it during the frustration after updating. I'm not all trying to blame the software, my pc is 10 years old and trying to maintain almost 12000 games. On top of that I just slapped a newer video card in it. It's just when I get everything sorted I always forget to uncheck auto updates, it always brings new issues for me for some unknown reason (this is fresh windows 10 install as well) and I'm most certain it's the rig not launchbox.  

No problems. Though I will say that if you are trying to download media for all 12k games at the same time, the process that actually saves the media and moves it in the correct spots (runs at the very end) can and will take quite a bit of time to complete and have seen many people get errors or a "Not responding..." popup because of it, so plan accordingly.

10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Metadata actually comes from the metadata file in the Launchbox folder, this file is downloaded in its entirety when the importer is ran or you edit a game ( you will be told the file needs updating and you will see the progress of the download at the bottom of the screen and it should take less than a minute to download on a semi decent connection as its currently a 237MB file)

image.thumb.png.be14f7f120702b9c712de0bff0e30302.png

So the server doesn't come into play when actually getting game descriptions and all that sort of data as its all pulled from that file that you now have local to your system. If you are receiving errors related to downloading images, then that is a different issue as they are downloaded "on demand". So while emumovies are correct in stating that metadata comes from us and our servers, i think you may be mistaken as to what downloads are actually erroring (because as i said actual metadata isn't pulled from the internet during imports like that) so i assume its actual media that is erroring, and that could be coming from us or emumovies, so we would need some more details on what actually is happening, like the errors that are actually being received, rather than just "I get errors".

Thanks.

Sorry, I thought that was descriptive enough. It does seem to be Media as I thought Media was included in the metadata so my apologies for the confusion but these are the type of errors I am getting. Whenever I try to important new games I get could not import errors and when I import media via edit EmuMovies Hits me with unable to log into EmuMovies although I am logged in 

errors.png

issue.png.12b661799a117d051e967512b91b7f70.png

1049781759_issue2.png.92e8121a50e4c68d1e6701e30ab240ac.png

errors 2.png

Edited by vahn65
add another photo

Typically errors like this are caused because of network traffic degradation. Things like packet loss. All of our media is hosted on the same server and so if you can download SOME images but not all it may be that your connection to the server isn't stable. After a download fails, can you run the tool again immediately after and grab the image or no? If not what game are you having the most problems with.

14 hours ago, vahn65 said:

Sorry, I thought that was descriptive enough. It does seem to be Media as I thought Media was included in the metadata so my apologies for the confusion but these are the type of errors I am getting. Whenever I try to important new games I get could not import errors and when I import media via edit EmuMovies Hits me with unable to log into EmuMovies although I am logged in 

errors.png

issue.png.12b661799a117d051e967512b91b7f70.png

1049781759_issue2.png.92e8121a50e4c68d1e6701e30ab240ac.png

errors 2.png

Funny you should share this. I normally don't have scrapping issues but I had some yesterday as well. I would add that I was experiencing issues scrapping yesterday as well where files were inexplicably failing to download at around the same time. I am fairly certain it wasn't my network connection either because I had been downloading several terabytes of roms from Archive.org without any dropouts or CRCs issues. EmuMovies login was working, though.

Edited by Hifihedgehog

Here is a very basic scrapping task failing for some inexplicable reason from my perspective as a user:
image.thumb.png.8cc152d190f7dce50e7c126c8e5c4148.png

I checked the links and I have no issues downloading the content manually. I also ran downloads again across my Internet via JDownloader for another terabyte or so of data and had zero issues downloading that content. So I am a bit confused why scrapping downloads keep failing since I can rule out my physical connection.

Edited by Hifihedgehog

I'm having similar issues with image downloads failing and Launchbox 11.10 hanging really slow during the "finishing up..." phase.   It did eventually finish after letting run about 15min at 80% CPU and being unresponsive.

Edited by zzscratch

On 4/8/2021 at 7:13 PM, Hifihedgehog said:

Here is a very basic scrapping task failing for some inexplicable reason from my perspective as a user:
image.thumb.png.8cc152d190f7dce50e7c126c8e5c4148.png

I checked the links and I have no issues downloading the content manually. I also ran downloads again across my Internet via JDownloader for another terabyte or so of data and had zero issues downloading that content. So I am a bit confused why scrapping downloads keep failing since I can rule out my physical connection.

Same here still having this issue. I still cannot also seem to get EmuMovies is working within Launchbox but sync and ftp works just fine.

Would those having this issue please turn on debug logging. Try and scrape again and send me a copy of the log generated when it fails (just close LaunchBox, look for the most recent file in \\LaunchBox\Logs\ and PM me via forums). I will see if we can find a common issue in the logs that may help figure out why you are all suddenly having this problem.

@zzscratch @Hifihedgehog @vahn65

Thus far all the logs read the same, that the connection timed out. Not sure at this point the reason you all would suddenly be getting these errors. I have my suspicions that it's related to a Windows update affecting how the LaunchBox client is trying to communicate because the code that controls this process hasn't been changed in a long while. I'll continue to investigate to see if I can find a way to resolve the issue though.