LaunchBox Community Forums

Issues with getting my Marquee monitor to display in big box.

Maniac-Uk

7 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

W00t! Yeah. I've seen that cause issues with some frameworks and back ends. They all assume that monitors go left to right from 1-N. I didn't think any of our dependencies did that but was worth trying. I left myself a note to look into the possible cause of that. Thanks for bearing with me and testing everything. Helps a lot.

Ah, that makes some kind of sense now. Hoping some fix can be made for this to avoid others going through this but glad to have helped and, of course, grateful for your persistence getting my marquee going!?

12 hours ago, Retro808 said:

This is interesting. My 3 cabinets work regardless of marquee screen position. Good to know this worked for @Benjc. Another option to try when troubleshooting anyone with a similar issue.

I was just about to post this answer to the riddle of all this nonsense, but I am glad someone found it! In my misadventures of getting my cabinet up and running about a year ago, I encountered the same exact trouble as @Benjc did. There were two things I had to do: first, have the monitors side by side in their default positions, primary on left and secondary on right in Windows' display position; and second, both monitors had to be at the same scale factor, which in nearly all cases would be 100%. I had to have my monitors in the default position that Windows places them, meaning Display 1 (primary) has to be on the left and Display 2 (secondary) on the right with the top of Display 2 even with the top of Display 1.

This defies intuition of course because ideally you would think you would want them placed top and bottom (marquee on top and main screen right below) as you would want your mouse to flow from the top of your main display to bottom of your secondary display, but nope, that's Microsoft for you. You also have to have the scale factor equal because Windows' display management is equally garbage in this regard. In my case, I have a high DPI 4K/UHD main display so just so I can keep my main display's text legible, I use a Visual Basic script to automatically toggle the scale factor to 100% until Big Box's process is closed. 

You might not be seeing it maybe because it is Windows 10 related or perhaps it is a new "feature" specific to later feature updates of Windows 10. I noticed it on Windows 10 May 2020 Update with either Intel (Intel Iris Xe on Microsoft Surface Pro 7+) or NVIDIA (GeForce GTX 3090) with both clean and updated installs of the operating system. Pure nonsense, I tell ya.

Edited by Hifihedgehog

7 hours ago, Hifihedgehog said:

You might not be seeing it maybe because it is Windows 10 related or perhaps it is a new "feature" specific to later feature updates of Windows 10. I noticed it on Windows 10 May 2020 Update with either Intel (Intel Iris Xe on Microsoft Surface Pro 7+) or NVIDIA (GeForce GTX 3090) with both clean and updated installs of the operating system. Pure nonsense, I tell ya.

I am sure it is some stupid Windows thing. Just to confirm though, all my builds over the years have been Windows 10 with both Nvidia and Ryzen cards. The pc I have used for the past 4 years for all my testing its update history shows a May 2020 update had been done and never had this issue. I have always set the second screen above, unless I was building a Virtual Pin cabinet. So I am curious as to the cause some users have this issue. I have definitely experienced the scaling issues you mentioned though.

• Like 1