LaunchBox Community Forums

Constant Big Box Errors, Possibly Corrput?

Amiiben18

And to add to @neil9000, this is usually some type of theme error.  Your error message is alluding to an issue with the Unified Redux theme on your system, and it's pointing to:

G:\LaunchBox\Core\Themes\Unified Redux

See what happens if you remove/rename the Unified Redux folder in that location, along with:

G:\LaunchBox\Themes\Unified Redux

30 minutes ago, faeran said:

And to add to @neil9000, this is usually some type of theme error.  Your error message is alluding to an issue with the Unified Redux theme on your system, and it's pointing to:

See what happens if you remove/rename the Unified Redux folder in that location, along with:

This is actually how themes work these days, they need to be in that core folder location, my understanding is that simlinks are generated when Launchbox is started and removed when exited, so it looks like something is going wrong there. This was a issue when the core folder was introduced, but was later fixed, this is why i asked what version was being used, as a simple update may fix it.

4 hours ago, faeran said:

Ok I tried that and nothing seemed to happen

34 minutes ago, Amiiben18 said:

Launchbox version 11.11, Windows 10 Home, Samsung T5 Portable SSD, exFAT

Yeah. I thought that may be the case. The issue is because the drive is formatted exFAT and not NTFS. To get themes to work properly you will need to copy the Themes folder from \\Launchbox\ to \\LaunchBox\Core and then update that folder whenever you install a new theme. It isn't the best work around but exFAT doesn't allow us to build the symlinks LaunchBox uses and so is the best we have come up with thus far.

53 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Yeah. I thought that may be the case. The issue is because the drive is formatted exFAT and not NTFS. To get themes to work properly you will need to copy the Themes folder from \\Launchbox\ to \\LaunchBox\Core and then update that folder whenever you install a new theme. It isn't the best work around but exFAT doesn't allow us to build the symlinks LaunchBox uses and so is the best we have come up with thus far.

Ok I did that and it works! I still have a few launchbox issues, but I'll address those in a new thread. Thank you so much for your help!

56 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Wouldn't it be easier all round than instead of Launchbox creating simlinks it just checks for the core/themes folder and if its not present just cut/paste it from the original location? I mean it doesn't really matter where the folder is, and its no more difficult to put new themes there than it is in the original location?

Yeah, we could look into something like that. The initial idea is that some Themes have a LOT of theme dependent art (like the original BannerBox theme) and copying that folder increases your hard drive footprint where symlinks do not.

13 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Yeah, we could look into something like that. The initial idea is that some Themes have a LOT of theme dependent art (like the original BannerBox theme) and copying that folder increases your hard drive footprint where symlinks do not.

Well i said cut/paste not copy/paste, so a one time move doesnt increase the footprint one bit.

46 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Well i said cut/paste not copy/paste, so a one time move doesnt increase the footprint one bit.

The code expects the themes to be in the original location though. The paths inside of the theme's XAML is what required that Core folder redirect thing so Cut process won't work unfortunately.

7 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Ok so it turns out that I have to do this EVERY TIME I boot launchbox. This is extremely annoying!! Now I'm no dev, but why was this implemented if it only works on some systems?

13 hours ago, Amiiben18 said:

Ok so it turns out that I have to do this EVERY TIME I boot launchbox. This is extremely annoying!! Now I'm no dev, but why was this implemented if it only works on some systems?

You don't have to do it every time. Should be a one and done. You do need to do it anytime you use the Theme downloader though since it puts them in the root Themes folder and not the Core themes folder though.

The reason it was implemented the way it was is because it works fine for the vast majority of users, and without the implement we would have had broken installs on literally everyone's install. exFAT isn't heavily used anymore, NTFS is the de facto format at this point and so we put in a solution for those users, and tried to find the simplest work around for those on exFAT who aren't willing to reformat to the standard format.

23 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

You don't have to do it every time. Should be a one and done. You do need to do it anytime you use the Theme downloader though since it puts them in the root Themes folder and not the Core themes folder though.

The reason it was implemented the way it was is because it works fine for the vast majority of users, and without the implement we would have had broken installs on literally everyone's install. exFAT isn't heavily used anymore, NTFS is the de facto format at this point and so we put in a solution for those users, and tried to find the simplest work around for those on exFAT who aren't willing to reformat to the standard format.

Ok, do you know if this is going to be permanent? Because if there's no way for it to be patched I'll probably just go through the steps of reformatting however that's done without losing everything.

Just now, Amiiben18 said:

Ok, do you know if this is going to be permanent? Because if there's no way for it to be patched I'll probably just go through the steps of reformatting however that's done without losing everything.

You can just copy the entire Launchbox folder elsewhere, format the drive and copy Launchbox back. That's all that is needed as Launchbox is a portable app and not actually installed.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You can just copy the entire Launchbox folder elsewhere, format the drive and copy Launchbox back. That's all that is needed as Launchbox is a portable app and not actually installed.

Alrighty, I have enough space on other hard drives to do that so I sure will.