LaunchBox Community Forums

Annoying "infobox" after update

Archmage_R

Hello, I just updated to the new version of launchbox and I was hoping there was one "feature"/"annoyance" I could turn off.

I import all my games 1 at a time, up until now it's been fine and I have 2216 games in my collection. There have been no issues with downloading media/metadata, and when something was lacking I have added what was missing on my own.

But after the update I have the following problem:

Before it used to do this:

Imports the game and downloads a decent amount of media,
then makes a sound one time and displays a textbox with "x games imported all done".

Now however it does the following:

Imports the game,
then makes a sound and pops up a textbox telling me that "1 games" was imported, and that I can now turn of launchbox/keep it on and it will download/resume bla bla.
Downloads a f*ckton of media resulting in doubles and sometimes triples of various images such as boxart/screenshots/etc.
then makes another sound and display the textbox with "x games imported all done"

So on importing 15 games one by one, I have now heard twice as many sounds, and seen twice as many textboxes.
How do I disable this? I want it back to how it was.

A "never show this again" "tickbox" would be nice.

Edited by Archmage_R

Hi @Archmage_R,

This update definitely addresses a number of under-the-hood issues plaguing people that update more than one game at a time.

I can see where you are coming, I like your idea regarding some kind of tickbox. If you'd like, I'd go open up a feature request on bitbucket to get the most exposure for it. It's in the top menu under Help & Support > Request a Feature.

• Like 1

The only extra pop-up is the media download confirmation done at the end. This is now due to the fact LB imports a game and downloads the media separately so the extra confirmation screen was added. There is no way to turn that on or off. If you desire that option please use the "Request a Feature" link located at the top of the forum under "Help & Support". 

22 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Are you importing files or third party games (Steam, GOG, etc)? If file based, it would probably be faster for you to just manually add a game than use the import wizard. Then you avoid all popups as well.

I'm using import/rom.
Using just the "add" thingy takes waaaay longer when you have multiple versions of a game and often misses out on media when no-intro names games the wrong way and launchbox can't find it.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, Retro808 said:

The only extra pop-up is the media download confirmation done at the end. This is now due to the fact LB imports a game and downloads the media separately so the extra confirmation screen was added. There is no way to turn that on or off. If you desire that option please use the "Request a Feature" link located at the top of the forum under "Help & Support". 

That "only" extra pop-up, gets really tedious when you see it 30 times in a row due to importing 30 games one by one.
I don't need to see it 30 times as I am fully aware of what will happen the first time, I know why it is there, but usually this is the sort of thing you have a tickbox for with "never show this again".

Sadly this involves going to some bitbucket thingy which requires me to either have yet another login and password tied to my email, or yet another thingy tied to my google account.

My https://haveibeenpwned.com/ list is already long enough.

10 minutes ago, Archmage_R said:

That "only" extra pop-up, gets really tedious when you see it 30 times in a row due to importing 30 games one by one.
I don't need to see it 30 times as I am fully aware of what will happen the first time, I know why it is there, but usually this is the sort of thing you have a tickbox for with "never show this again".

Sadly this involves going to some bitbucket thingy which requires me to either have yet another login and password tied to my email, or yet another thingy tied to my google account.

My https://haveibeenpwned.com/ list is already long enough.

I understand it can be annoying to some users. There are only 2 devs and many things have to be triaged due to the limited time they work on LB updates and features. The more users vote on a feature the better chance it has of becoming a priority. We have offered you an option to request a feature. Bitbucket is our best source to track requests. If you choose not to do so then unfortunately there is less  of a chance it gets updated.

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I understand it can be annoying to some users. There are only 2 devs and many things have to be triaged due to the limited time they work on LB updates and features. The more users vote on a feature the better chance it has of becoming a priority. We have offered you an option to request a feature. Bitbucket is our best source to track requests. If you choose not to do so then unfortunately there is less  of a chance it gets updated.

You are right of course. 
Even though it is a commercial product I paid a lifetime subscription for, it is still just a small development team.
I guess this brings both positives and negatives. Potentially slower updates, but then again commercial products usually don't have an option for the user to request features.
Even though I would have liked not to use such a "clunky" help & support feature (clunky to me as optimally everything should be accessed through a single login on the products website), I guess I'll just have to accept things the way they are and use it.
Thanks for the answers and hope I haven't come off as "difficult".

I have now made the feature request "issue"

Edited by Archmage_R

On 6/14/2021 at 9:59 PM, faeran said:

Hi @Archmage_R,

This update definitely addresses a number of under-the-hood issues plaguing people that update more than one game at a time.

I can see where you are coming, I like your idea regarding some kind of tickbox. If you'd like, I'd go open up a feature request on bitbucket to get the most exposure for it. It's in the top menu under Help & Support > Request a Feature.

I have now made the feature request, thanks for the help.

Thanks @Archmage_R

We appreciate the support and understanding. The actual LB team is growing a little so maybe in the future there can be a smoother process. I have attached your ticket in case users search and find this topic. We can steer them towards the ticket and support with a vote.

Vote below to support the ticket request.

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6137/tickbox-for-infobox-when-importing-games

• Like 1